Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
My school recently bought a Sony A200 bundle, it came with a flash that sticks onto the camera.

Ok, I have a A100 and the flash fits on without doubt. I borrowed it for the duration of the holiday... Can you suggest some ideas/things that I can experiment on? I can either shoot myself or shoot other people. Na, just had to say that.

And also, the manual says that (unfortunately I don't have it) you can somehow put the flash on a mini stand and sync it with the camera wirelessly. Do I need some sort of flash remote or the camera just does the thing? Because I can do more stuff with the flash not fixed on the camera body. Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My school recently bought a Sony A200 bundle, it came with a flash that sticks onto the camera.

Ok, I have a A100 and the flash fits on without doubt. I borrowed it for the duration of the holiday... Can you suggest some ideas/things that I can experiment on? I can either shoot myself or shoot other people. Na, just had to say that.

And also, the manual says that (unfortunately I don't have it) you can somehow put the flash on a mini stand and sync it with the camera wirelessly. Do I need some sort of flash remote or the camera just does the thing? Because I can do more stuff with the flash not fixed on the camera body. Thanks.

Two very simple things to try: (1) bounce flash. Aim the flash staight up indoors and le it bounce off a white ceiling. Next aim it at a white wall so the light bounces off the wall then hits the parson's face. Then aim the flash directly at the person and compare results. The eiling bounce will be very even light, the wall will make a soft directional light and the direct flash will look very bad. So you do not need to take the flash off camera to get off camera directional light. the "hot spot" the flash makes on the wall re-rediates the light from that position

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Two very simple things to try: (1) bounce flash. Aim the flash staight up indoors and le it bounce off a white ceiling. Next aim it at a white wall so the light bounces off the wall then hits the parson's face. Then aim the flash directly at the person and compare results. The eiling bounce will be very even light, the wall will make a soft directional light and the direct flash will look very bad. So you do not need to take the flash off camera to get off camera directional light. the "hot spot" the flash makes on the wall re-rediates the light from that position

thanks for the suggestion. I found out that there's a "WL" (wireless) function on the camera that can sync the flash when it's placed on the side. I'll try something tonight...

What subjects can I shoot with a flash? I know you can use them to shoot portraits... perhaps still life?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
What subjects can I shoot with a flash? I know you can use them to shoot portraits... perhaps still life?

You can use a flash anytime you want artificial light. Make it harsh or soft, appear natural or extra-ordinary. You can power up the flash and increase the speed to decrease the effect of existing light. Don't let yourself be limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.