I got it, how Apple can make a true pro and save face.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Chewbacca, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Apple is to proud to ever admit they were wrong and backtrack on anything. They went "all in" with usb-c, a port that didn't even exist on last years model... wow. Thinness and "cool" factor was obviously the driving force. Do not get me wrong, it is beautiful and portable. I would love to have one in my italian leather bag while sipping on a twelve dollar coffee.

Apple could release an "ultra pro" laptop that is slightly heavier and thicker than the pro but with all of the ports we pro users want, even the ethernet port. Still put in that awesome new screen and light bar with the huge trackpad. I would hope the "ultra" pro would have a lightning port (for all of those new lightning headphones) and a usb-c to get us used to using it.

In all seriousness I know Apple (wisely) does not like to have an overabundance of products but it seems to me that the "ultra pro" would be great for the actual pro users.

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Don't they already have that in last year's Pro, which are still for sale at a reduced price.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

Not sure why Apple would need to "save face" given that they are apparently selling these things at a record rate.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Or the "pros" could save thousands and just use the current pro model at a desk with hub and monitor when needed.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This is exactly the problem...you specifically need an ethernet jack for whatever reason, but who else does? I just carry my thunderbolt -> ethernet jack when I go to a hotel or conference, and the other 98% of the time I don't use it (Primarily because my wireless AC setup rivals gigabit ethernet speeds, so the slight extra boost in reliability isn't worth being tethered to a wall.) And no matter if they had 20 random ports on the thing, more people would still complain that it doesn't have xyz.

And the funny thing is the last rMBP revision didn't have ethernet, so you are asking apple to add back a port they removed 4 years ago.

What people don't understand is the versatility of the new ports...they have literally 40 times more bandwidth than gigabit ethernet, yet are still backwards compatible with any usb 1.1 device. Yes, you need a dongle/adapter, but that is only until you buy a new $5 USB-C->whatever old USB standard cable.

The other thing, Apple could have left a single USB-A port and some people would have been more happy, but then when they remove that one or two years down the line people would still be complaining about it. With only USB-C on the new pro it will drive USB-C adoption much more quickly, and new cables will drop in price as more manufacturers are producing them. If you don't want to carry the burden of a little usb dongle in your bag for a few months...then just wait a few months to upgrade.

6. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

This. For most devices you don't even need adapters - just a few new cables.

I have a 2013. MBP and I keep needing one more USB port, while I never use both Thunderbolt 2 ports, for example. For me, having 4 universal ports is an improvement in every way.

Also, people don't really know what they want. If Apple made the "pro" laptop people here are asking, I don't think anyone would really buy it. I'm betting half of these people would congratulate Apple on the thicker model and then go and buy the thinner one, making up some excuse.

For me - the ports thing is simply a non-issue. You can complain about 32Gb RAM, but even that is overblown. Some people could use 32 gigs, but that doesn't mean they won't be able to work with 16 (especially with those super-fast SSDs). The Skylake CPU is also a non-issue. In fact, the only valid point people are complaining about is the fact that we still don't have updates for the rest of the Mac lineup.

New MacBook Pros seem to be really capable pro machines. Unless, you know, you want to find things to complain about. So to the OP, there's no need for Apple to "save face". In fact, they have a lot to be proud about.

7. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Technically, the USB-C ports are Thunderbolt 3 ports. Thunderbolt 2 was a port on the old model, just as Thunderbolt 1 was on earlier models.

I would say this is Apple using the least proprietary, most versatile port on their computers since the introduction of USB-A on the iMac in 1998 (which was another time they dropped all the common ports, like ADB and SCSI, for the ‘port of the future’).

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Come with 2 T/USB-C and 2 next generation express slots that the user can do whatever they want with.

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

But of course. This is an Internet forum, finding things to complain about is what we're good at!

10. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

The transition from USA-A to USB-C will be a rough one especially at the beginning as any major transition from one standard to another is. We would be from a mass consumer standpoint at the beginning of the transition (hence the most painful.) The 32 GB RAM complaint is valid but for a very small percentage of users. My guess is the benchmarks for the new 15" MBP's will start coming out in the next few days, and some people's negative opinions will start shifting. The biggest complaint has been price generally as I believe most people's ceiling is $2,000 to $2,500 tops. A well spec'ed 15" is closer to 3k at the moment, but I feel that most professionals that rely on a good portable laptop can afford to spend 3k if so desired. But what do I know, 3k is not a lot of money where I live in NYC.

11. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Sorry I can't reply much, Organic Chemistry midterm tomorrow, my brain hurts. I really do not feel like I am complaining just to complain. I get why the macbook is super thin with limited ports but I do not get why the pro is. Maybe if they had at least transitioned to USB-C but BAM!, a port I have never seen is suddenly the only one I can use next time I upgrade.

I have a new machine so hopefully by the time I do have to upgrade the USB-C gets a lot more love than the thunderbolt port did. Time will tell. Maybe USB-C will get so popular that by the time I upgrade I will finally be able to stop using my USB-3 to USB-C adaptor. Or perhaps when I do upgrade I may not even need a pro. We'll see.

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

As a 'Pro' user, I think Apple moving to all TB3/USB-C ports is brilliant. I can hook up whatever I want/need to any port. There are already computers with this as the standard for about a year. So for some of my external equipment I have just bought replacement cables that have USB-C...no adaptor needed.

In 2012 when they dropped a bunch of ports, I bought the adaptors. Still carry them in my bag even though I no longer use most. Doing the same this time, so just swapping out adaptors.

I actually travel, so the laptop is the way to go. As a Pro I want the latest tech in my machine of choice, and am willing to use a few workarounds as a early adopter.

I also get there are 'pro' users that do not want to go through the hassle of being an early adopter, or that maybe Apple isn't giving them all they need. It does not mean Apple made a mistake, it just means this machine is not for you. Time will tell if Apple is wrong, but with delivery dates slipping farther into Dec. in my opinion it appears from first sight they have come up with a product many want. So far, for me, Apple has always delivered on what they promise, and I for one am looking forward to how this new laptop can enhance my workflow.

13. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

OK.. OK... I'm feeling a little better about it. This is the first time I am OK with not being an early adopter but in a few years when I do have to upgrade I may just be OK.

I may end up getting a head start anyway. I'm finishing up grad school now (Chemistry teacher) and several districts actually buy macbooks for their teachers. If I get a basic macbook for free It's not like I wont use it.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Reduced price? The base model 13" rMBP was selling for $1299 in April of 2015. It's selling for $1299 now. The base model 15" rMBP was selling for $1999 in May of 2015. It's selling for $1999 now.

15. jerryk macrumors 68030

TB-3 and the USB-C is the port this pro user wants. I am not sure why you say otherwise.

Will they be some initial issues with cables, dongles, etc.? Sure? But we have that now. Pro users need to connect to monitor and projectors to give presentations. So now we carry a mini-DP to DVI, VGA, HDMI adapters. We also need to connect to Ethernet cables so have to carry an adapter for that. Finally, pro users are by definitions Professionals. For which the computer is a business tool. And any money spent on a few adapters is just a small part of the cost of doing business.

16. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I think he was implying the old ones are cheaper than the new ones, hence reduced. BTW the "old" macbook pro's can be bought in the refurb section for a bit of a discount. I got an iPad from there once, worked out great.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I totally agree that refurbs are awesome.

I just think that apple selling the same computer at the same price point for over a year and a half is odd to say the least. Typically a new model replaces the old or pushes the old model to a lower price point.

18. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

tsbrick wrote above:
    "Reduced price? The base model 13" rMBP was selling for $1299 in April of 2015. It's selling for $1299 now."

I've seen several places advertising it for $1,179 (ebay, portableone.com)

BestBuy has it "on sale" for $1,149.

MicroCenter has it for $1,099 (store pickup only).

I expect to see even [slightly] lower prices by the end of the year.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3rd parties often have discounts. This was happening even before the new models were released. I'm speaking specifically about Apples own pricing.