I Got Mine! - Now the Memory Question?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by not1lost, Jun 30, 2012.

1. not1lost macrumors member

not1lost

Paragould Arkansas, when I'm not in my RV
    I figured there is no telling when the next update of the iMac will be and the current machine is a fine computer. I know there are rumors but that is just that.... I did wait till after WWDC but no upgrade or bump I should say. So I bought my New beautiful 27' iMac i7 3.4Gz and I LOVE IT! It's my first Mac and way better experience than any windows machine I have used and I have had a bunch of them specced out. I am very happy with this machine and satisfied with my purchase even if they come out with one with retina tomorrow. Really, I have seen the new retina macbook pro and I don't think it really has much on this beautiful display; I don't need one to look any better than this!!! :eek:

I do have a question though for those of you who know more about these. I bought the stock memory of 4gb not wanting to pay Apples ridiculous prices and I am going to upgrade my memory. I have some very hungry applications I run and many times have a lot of them open at once plus other things. Apple only allows 16gb for this machine but I have read in several places around the web that it will handle up to 32gb. OWC has a kit for a very reasonable price for 32gb $319 . I know the test have shown you can put it in, but can the machine actually utilize that much memory or is it just using 4g of each 8g stick? I want to put as much as I can in it but I don't want to waist my money either.:confused: Any help would be appreciated, thanks!:)
    P.S.
    I love reading this forum, I have learned a lot here and also a big reason I have jumped ship from windows to Mac. :D

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I too have heard about 32GB being supported it might be fully usable if you boot into windows with bootcamp;) Oh and if you get homesick you can boot into windows with Bootcamp! Enjoy the best of both worlds, well for gaming! Good luck.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does support 32GB.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

4. top macrumors member

just did the same to mine last night

Attached Files:

5. not1lost thread starter macrumors member

not1lost

Thanks everyone! I ordered 32g kit from OWC today! Cant wait to get it and see what this baby will do! :D

I have a memory hog research program that took 11hours to download on a fast internet connection but just have it parked right now and a few pages on safari and a couple apps and checked my activity monitor and it is pegging out the memory and swapping almost 6G to the drive; and I'm not even trying to work it. when I try anything much more I have to wait on the letters in a text field like this to catch up... :(

6. not1lost thread starter macrumors member

not1lost

It's in there !!!

:D Put 32g RAM in this iMac today from OWC. It recognized it all and this baby is way faster than it was especially when I get all my apps running at the same time with several safari windows open - It'll take anything I throw at it and never grunt. The activity monitor is showing an almost solid green pie graph with only a very small slice out of it. With 0 page outs. whereas before it had a nearly solid yellow and a few other colors with a very tiny green slice if one at all and sometimes up to over 6g of page outs. The spinning beach ball was popping up constantly.
    All I can say is Wow! it's like a different computer; I am so glad I did it. I don't see how I could ever have memory problems for quite a long while if ever.... :)

7. hahnchen macrumors newbie

I am so jealous:D

8. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Now put an SSD in it!! (I'm living vicariously through your iMac) :D

9. not1lost thread starter macrumors member

not1lost

LOL :) THATS NEXT ! But I'll have save up for that one...:(