I got my Aqua Extreme scrollbars back in Snow Leopard!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Aug 29, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm so excited!

I've long used Max Rudberg's Aqua Extreme scrollbars and progress bars in Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Leopard and now I have them working perfectly in Snow Leopard!

All you need is your custom Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc files from your Leopard backup (you made a backup right?) and copy the files to:

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
    At first I didn't think this worked because in Leopard, in order to see the new theme changes, you only had to re-launch an app, but it Snow Leopard you have to do a full log out and log back in.

Make sure you log out after replacing the files.

Note: Make backups of the original files just in case, but here's a screenshot of what my Finder looks like now.

Attached Files:

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Wait? what am I looking for exactly in the screen shot?

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Yeah, pretty cool. I replaced my Extras2.rsrc with the one from Leopard which changed all the scroll bars to the iTunes style. Personally I can't stand those Aqua bars :) For those who like, you can get all that stuff over on the MacThemes forums.

[​IMG]

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Very nice!

I was disappointed at first when I replaced the Extras2.rsrc file and re-launched an app and found that it hadn't changed. The logout trick works though! I'm 100% happy with Snow Leopard now!

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Look at my glossy scrollbars and slick progress bar. They match the more flattened Aqua Look found in 10.2-10.6.

Compare my graphite scroll bars to your graphite scroll bars and you'll see what I mean. These ones fit the rest of the system better. I have no idea why Apple never updated them.

6. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Where did you get the custom file? I can't find it on the site.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're talking to me... I made my own file using Max Rudberg's Aqua Extreme theme from Panther (I think) and added the new UI elements to the Extras2.rsrc file.

8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I wish I could get the iTunes 8 dark black scrollbars. =/

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

+1

I still can't believe Apple overlooked the old ugly Aqua scroll bars and have yet to replace them.

Unfortunately they are not perfect, as shown here.

10. helix21 macrumors regular

The OPs screenshot suggests that you are nostaglic about tigers interface - the old dock and all .

I personally like the scroll bars as they are. Maybe because i am a recent mac convert or for some other reason

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Tiger had the same scroll bars and progress bars as Snow Leopard. Heck, even 10.0 had the same exact scroll bars and progress bars.

Here are some 10.0.4 screenshots.

Attached Files:

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Then Aqua got "flatter" and sharper in Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2

But the scroll bars and progress bars remained the same.

Attached Files:

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How come your dock is not centered?

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My Dock is centered. What are you talking about? How come your vision isn't centered?