I got my Hulu preview invite!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bandolier, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

It's about time! I signed up in JUNE. Finally got the invite!

2. MacJones macrumors 6502

I requested one the day the app became available and still haven't gotten anything yet.

3. cirial macrumors regular

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

This... Got one a week or so back, crashes I can live with, the poor selection of shows I can't. Most of what I watch on Hulu isn't even available on Plus. Not to mention the poor formatting and quality, really had hoped for a better product.

5. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was not expecting the PREVIEW INVITE to be $9.99

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yeah, I got mine a couple weeks ago. I was about ready to sign up and then I saw I had to pay to actually use the preview. Needless to say, I passed.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

What did you expect? I guess I don't get why you think it would be free.

I'm quite happy with the $10/month payment. I've had a couple crashes but otherwise have been incredibly impressed with the Hulu app on my iPhone. TV shows/movies load up super fast on 3G and the quality, IMO, is superb.

I've paid $9 a month to Netflix for years, coupled with the free version of Hulu, in lieu of giving ungodly gobs of money to soul-sucking Comcast, and I',m totally fine with another $10 for more content that I can watch on my laptop, TV, and now iPhone. When Netflix gets their act together and release an iPhone app, I'm going to be thrilled.

I have seen several complaints on Twitter and elsewhere about the stability of HuluPlus, but it's been great for me.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't mind paying. However, I was hoping that that since it was a preview there would some sort of trial period. I mean, I don't even get to see how the service is to try it out. I have to pay right now and it clearly stated that it will be charged immediately. I'd be more comfortable if they had some sort of trial period.

I know there's regular Hulu and that could be argued as the "trial" but this service is different since it can be used on the iPhone/iPad etc.

9. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because it's technically still a beta.

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I paid and it isn't worth it. Only 720p and most shows are in 480p!

11. Peaugh macrumors regular

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there are a lot of shows available on there to keep me happy for a good while. I'm a little disappointed that the aspect ratio on Journeyman is totally wrong, though.

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I've been enjoying it, for the most part.. But if they can't at least add the same content that is available for free, I will probably not continue past the next month.

13. TavisB macrumors member

I was also surprised that they were charging to try the preview. I've participated in many beta tests and NEVER had to pay.

14. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's usually the case.

15. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've had it for the past week, and I love it. The only downside is that sometimes the app crashes, but only rarely.

16. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

a $9.99 invite is retarded. Thats like going to baskin Robbin's and asking for a sample with the really small spoon and them charging you $5.00 bucks. A sample is a sample it should be free, even for 3 days at least. Damn u hulu plus.

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think it has much to do with contractual obligations with the content providers. Not to mention that I don't believe Hulu has ever billed it as a beta service.

Besides, it's only $10/month for a decent amount of content. Small price to pay, IMO.