I Got My MBP, First Mac. Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1=1?, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

I've installed all of the programs that I can think of that I want. Transmission CS5, Skype,FF,TextMate,Modul8,Rosetta Stone, etc

But I know in Windows there were a lot of little things to install that just make the windows experience a lot better, I was wondering if there were other essential apps for making just the general use of the mac better/make the mac work better (not that it's not the fastest computer i've ever used but).

Very impressed with the linux terminal btw.

2. FirstMacEver macrumors newbie

This is what i'm wondering as well.
    Because i will be getting my first macbook pro next month when i get back to Canada and i'm wondering what apps would make my mac experience better than my PC experience

3. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

Also I want to learn how to DJ live. Dubstep and Glitch. I got Abelton, but is there a better program for this? Maybe an easier one?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Firstly I wouldn't want all of those programs but that's just me :D

idk, there are ways to change the gui...

You have any questions about os x in general? Look at the gestures you can use with your trackpad in system preferences. There are also ways to alter that.

6. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

7. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

This is the kind of thing i'm looking for i think.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not preventing you from having a thread. I'm posting something that answers your question. If you didn't really want answers, why post?

9. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Let him off he's new hahaha

10. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

There really isn't much. I mean I run iStat Menus to monitor all manner of things, but it doesn't really improve OS X much. Get Growl. Thats a big one. Other than that I can't think of much. Others use much more than I do but I don't feel the need to change all that much. It pretty much works almost perfect out of the box.

11. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

I thought you were implying MRoogle, or 'ugh another thread one of these threads' like everyone always does when threads go up here. Sorry. The link was actually really useful thanks.

12. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Alright, go to system preferences to change you background, appearance, trackpad settings, etc. etc.

For example, you are going to find that you will never have your windows take up the whole screen and you will rarely minimize your windows like you do with pc's; it's just the most efficient way to use os x. Swipe 4 fingers down on the trackpad, and you should see all of the windows. This is called exposé and it is a great way to switch between windows. You can further change the appearance and trackpad gestures with 3rd party programs. There's something called MRoogle which should help you... basically google for this site.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did I mention MRoogle or search or 'ugh another thread one of these threads'? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

14. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

Whoa.

15. 1=1? thread starter macrumors regular

1=1?

I was just being playful with the 'come on let me have a thread' anyway.

16. D0rk macrumors member

Haha, exactly what I said when I did that the first time on my new MBP.

17. toffa813 macrumors regular

Probably my favorite program is BetterTouchTool. It allows you to use custom multitouch gestures to do basically anything you want. I use three finger swipes to navigate Safari (back/forward/ tab right/left)

Another one a lot of people suggest is Quicksilver. Its Spotlight search and a whole bunch more (create notes, send quick emails) I haven't really used it a lot yet so I can't really say how good it is. But everything I've read says its the best productivity tool for Mac.