I got my "new" G4 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iGrant, Jul 22, 2008.

1. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Hello,

I wrote a thread a few days about how I was getting a basically free G4 Mac Mini from a co-worker who just got an Intel Mac Mini and did not need his G4 anymore.

Well I got the G4 Mac Mini yesterday and once I got home the first thing I did was take the case off, clean the inside of the Mac Mini out . . . which surprisingly was not much considering I was messing with a 3 year old computer. Also while the computer was open, I took a stick of DDR ram from my G5 and installed it into my Mac Mini. The Mini now had 1GB of ram, not the stock 256mb that the computer came with. I was not even going to try running the computer with it.

After I installed the new ram and got the case back on the Mac Mini, I then connected it up to my setup on my desk which consist of an old Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse from a G4 I owned, a 20" Dell wide-screen monitor, my G4 Cube USB Speakers, and a Linksys WRT54g with DD-WRT acting as a wireless bridge since the Mac Mini did not come with an Airport card. I then completely wiped the hard drive and started the installation process of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I was surprised at the length of time it took for Leopard to install on the little Mac Mini which was roughly about an hour.

This surprised me, but after thinking about it for a little while I had some hardware factors against me. First I was using an Apple Combo Drive which could only read DVDs "up to" 8x and the hard drive that is in the Mac Mini is a 4200 rpm 40GB drive.

Still this did not bother me too much, an hour to install a modern operating system is still fantastic!!! And unlike *cough* Windows and *cough* Linux, once the installation is finished you do not have to "configure" devices and drivers, just do a System Update in the background and go about your business.

During and after the System Update, I really started using G4 Mac Mini by transferring my music from my G5 onto the Mac Mini, while surfing the web and ripping a few other CDs I bought this weekend all at the same time. I am not one to do things one at a time, and I was worried how the little Mac would hold up to this kind of usage considering the slow hard drive, and the slow FSB at 167Mhz compared to more modern day Macs.

Yet the little Mac Mini just kept on without skipping a beat. Thinking to myself "This is quickly becoming my favorite Mac I have ever owned" I continued to use the Mac Mini for the majority of the night surfing the web, listening to music, checking email, and every now and then using Screen Share to see how my G5 was doing with stuff down stairs.

Suffice to say I love my G4 Mac Mini. I can't wait to get home today to get back onto the computer and do some more surfing. Its made web browsing fun again for me.

I was a G4 Cube owner and still am. I love my G4 Cube buts the glory days have come and passed. I still use it as a back file server for all my none media files, but other than that my G4 Cube is extremely limited it what it can do. I like many people where scared that the new Mac Mini was going to be another G4 Cube when the Mini was introduced! The Mac Mini looked absolutely amazing, just not worth another $1799 price tag like the G4 Cube. And when Steve Jobs said it would only cost $499 I had some serious doubts about the little computer. However reading review after review of how great the little computer I was looking forward to using one.

Well its now three years later, I finally own one and I absolutely love the little Mac. I was saving my money up for a new mac pro to get in a about a year or so, but I think I will just save my money and get an Intel Mac Mini instead, I love the size, and yeah it would be nice to have more expansion, but other than hard drive and ram, I really don't see anything else I would really need. I think the Mac Mini is quickly becoming the ultimate Mac for me!

-iGrant

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Glad to hear the mini still works well for you.

I'll be bringing up getting a mini as a PC replacement for my parents once they are ready for an upgrade.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Ah, the G4 Mini. That was my first Mac. Ditched it after a year for a MacBook Pro (you don't understand the Core2Duo obsession until you live it). Sold the Mini to a friend who still can't get it set up because of her comfort zone with an old PC. Arrgh. Glad to hear yours is zippin' along.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Don't count on getting a new Intel Mac Mini. Steve is gonna kill those suckers off.:(

Don

5. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I really hope Apple doesn't drop the Mac Mini. Its a great little computer, I absolutely love mine. Granted I have only had it for a few days. I think they are going to update it, I hoping they might even bring the intel mobile quad-core that I was hearing about, that would be so nice.

-iGrant

6. ADent macrumors 6502a

I would sort of like that because then I would build a Hackintosh.

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I'm a big fan of the mac mini - glad to hear you are enjoying yours! :)

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I wouldn't be quite so sure about that. Its still selling very well from what I can gather. You can get a rough idea about how popular a product is by looking at Amazon's current bestseller list for computers. Now obviously it doesn't include any Dells and obviously no business users would purchase through them, however, its still quite interesting. Apple always has a bit of an edge in this kind of list because they have far few models for consumers to choose from. Still... the humble Mac Mini 1.83 GHz is *the* most purchased desktop machine on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/ref=sv_pc_1

The fact that they haven't updated it for ages is annoying to those that know about it but the majority of users buying them, they wouldn't have a clue. I met someone who bought one just week. I did think it was slightly mad buying one at this point but I didn't say anything.

9. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGrant

My point exactly. The Mac Mini is doing very well. I know many of us Mac users really wish there had been more "expansion" in the Mac Mini, however I tell people that I am a Mac user, and about 80% say they want to get the Mac Mini. I even tell then that you can't really upgrade it, and again they tell me, "All I want is more ram and maybe a bigger hard drive".

I think the Mac Mini is here to stay for a long time. I really am hoping for a Mobile Quad-Core Mac Mini, which I would buy almost instantly, because that would be such a sweet computer.

-iGrant

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Thanks for the cool story. I am a mini fan and have a 183c2d. Every time I wish mine was bigger and faster, I hear a cool story of how well they operate even with less performance numbers. I would love to have Leopard as an option on mine without spending the money on an upgrade, so I cloned my macbook to an external drive and booted the mini with it. It runs great. It will surf, check email on 60 secs, play music, scroll forum spy with iphoto open, all at once. The only noticeable lag is when loading a new web page. I have 1 gb ram so surely more ram would help but I'm having fun. I hope to upgrade the ram, hdd, superdrive and processor all in one case-crack one day when the processor cost's drop.

11. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I must admit, its kind of weird and sad talking about a G4 Mac Mini in this Intel age of Macs. The G4 process will always be one of my favorite processors I have ever used. I have owned so many G4 Macs and they all ran flawlessly. I am not saying they were the fastest processor I ever used, and that would be a blatant lie.

The G4 was just the most stable I guess. I have never had a G4 Mac that crashed or froze on me. My Dual G5 has a few times, and my Macbook Rev A use to get the you need to reboot with 7 languages like it was its job. Granted Apple has fixed that and they did it quickly, but I never had that problem with my G4s.

I am really looking forward to getting an Intel Mac Mini some day. I know that it will be just as fun and exciting as my G4 Mac Mini is!!!!

-iGrant