Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I was walking along the street when a neighbor's dog suddenly decided to charge me and take a nip at my leg. The owner got the dog under control (at which point the animal suddenly became quite well behaved), went over to check on me, and apologized profusely. I asked for proof of vaccinations and he showed me the dog's collar with the list of immunizations on it; he also gave me the name of their vet clinic.

It's a small flesh wound, not a puncture wound; didn't really bleed except under the skin. I washed it out with peroxide and alcohol, put Neosporin on it and band-aided it up.

What else should I do? Tetanus shot? My last one was 5 years ago....

Last edited:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'd call the guy's vet to verify the dog was indeed up on its shots.

I wouldn't get hysterical about this, if you feel the owner was generally a responsible sort.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I wouldn't win a lawsuit anyway; no witnesses.

I still may give the owner the opportunity to spring for my pending tetanus shot, if in fact I need one. (I'll ask the pharmacy tomorrow.) I think that would be fair.

Renzatic

Suspended
I still may give the owner the opportunity to spring for my pending tetanus shot, if in fact I need one. (I'll ask the pharmacy tomorrow.) I think that would be fair.

I had something similar happen to me. I had a dog bite me way back when I delivered pizza. It gave me a good nip on the back of my calf. Enough to cause a few blood blisters, though it didn't break the skin. I had the owners hand over the vaccination records for the dog to make sure I wouldn't get anything terrible (they took it to get it's rabies shot the day after I was bit), and went to the doctor to get a tetanus booster.

12 years on, and I have yet to get lockjaw or start foaming at the mouth.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If he didn't break the skin then you should be ok, but its good to double check with a doctor. Calling the vet about the shots is a good idea as well.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

You don't need witnesses for a dog bite, just a police report.

Good advice about checking with the vet and your own doctor. And yes, if you need any treatment the dog owner should cover the cost.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm glad it wasn't worse OP. As others have said, check with the vet and your doctor just to be on the safe side.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Tetanus shots should be good for 10 years. It is one of the shots along with Hep shots that I need to work as EMT. My work records shows when to get them. Have a doctor look the bite over and definitely call the dog owners vet.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
The owner is very lucky you're not sue-happy.

People who are sue happy over a small flesh wound like that are just plain ridiculous. Especially in LA, people have their lawyer on speed dial for whenever they get bit, big or small.

Heard a story of an old lady who got a minor bite on her leg from a poodle, sued for some ridiculous amount, in the hundreds of thousands. The dog owner had to sell all vehicles, and refinance her house to pay for the lawsuit. Just ridiculous, that persons life is damn near ruined because of a small bite that probably healed within a week.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
The doctors I've had have all said that tetanus shots last for ten years, but to have a booster if you have an injury between the five to ten year mark.

I was for example told to get a booster by my doctor when I got a deep scratch from a rusty nail at the six-year point.

But I'm not a doctor - it's a good idea to ask yours. :) And you were very wise to ask for proof of vaccinations. I'd tend to agree with the advice you got to call the vet clinic just to be sure, but then I tend to err on the side or caution.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I got the tetanus booster anyway, because why not.

The vet confirmed that the dog is up to date on all shots. So yay.

So now I just have to ask a doctor about the need for oral antibiotics to prevent bacterial infection. Strangely enough, the local CVS Minute Clinic refused to even look at me -- they aren't "allowed" to treat animal bites. Will have to try a dedicated urgent care center or G.P. instead.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I got the tetanus booster anyway, because why not.

The vet confirmed that the dog is up to date on all shots. So yay.

So now I just have to ask a doctor about the need for oral antibiotics to prevent bacterial infection. Strangely enough, the local CVS Minute Clinic refused to even look at me -- they aren't "allowed" to treat animal bites. Will have to try a dedicated urgent care center or G.P. instead.

CVS Minute Clinic also won't check you out after a minor car accident, either. They refer you to a hospital or GP. They mostly handle illnesses.

The fact that the dog's owner gave you the information about the shots is a big plus. After this is over, I'd send them a polite, but firm letter requesting that they pay for the costs associated with the dog bite, include copies of the recipes.

Truthfully, you'd win easily in small claims court. Think about it, the owner actually provided you with the vet's name and showed you the tags with the shots. However, is it worth it? In small claims you are only allowed actual damages and your actual damages are the cost of a doctor's visit and medicine. I think just sending the letter will result in your receiving a check and an apology.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I was walking along the street when a neighbor's dog suddenly decided to charge me and take a nip at my leg. The owner got the dog under control (at which point the animal suddenly became quite well behaved), went over to check on me, and apologized profusely. I asked for proof of vaccinations and he showed me the dog's collar with the list of immunizations on it; he also gave me the name of their vet clinic.

It's a small flesh wound, not a puncture wound; didn't really bleed except under the skin. I washed it out with peroxide and alcohol, put Neosporin on it and band-aided it up.

What else should I do? Tetanus shot? My last one was 5 years ago....

Thankfully it was a dog. Their bites tend to be less dangerous and less likely to cause infection than say cats or people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.