Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendan09

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Simulator

Has anyone tried getting this software to load in the iPhone simulator with the development kit? surely thats a little easier than trying to troubleshoot it and restore it onto a real phone... and then everyone can download it and play around with it.

brendan09

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
skankphone.app

I got skankphone.app to appear on the homescreen as an icon. It launches, and shows a full size picture of its icon...quite an interesting photo... and then exits back to the homescreen. I'm working on posting photos. This is an iPhone 3G btw.

EDIT: Here are the links to the photos. If anyone has any suggestions, im opening to trying more.

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photovfu.jpg (home screen icon)
http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo2r.jpg (launched application)

What I've tried:
-Copying Skankphone.app to Application directory
-Copying entire AppleInternals Folder onto root of device
-Putting the skankphone and purpltstr launchdaemons in the launchdaemon folder

Thoughts:
-possibly a date lock?
-hardware ID / firmware check?
-#1 thought...It can't run on top of springboard. it has to be started instead, i dont know how to do this and im not sure how to try without risking the phone. But i did get the skankphone application on the springboard and successfully launched it to an icon screen. Im thinking that the screen that opens is only there to demonstrate that the app tried to open on springboard. I believe it closes purposefully, not crashes. Based on what I've been watching. Email me if you have any suggestions or thoughts. Brendan09 -at- gmail

MattGTO

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas
Alright guys, I am so damn curious about these things lol. This is such an amazing opportunity to dig into what apple does in the background.

I have a couple questions for the OP (or anyone who can answer them), sorry if they have been covered already.

Does it support multi-touch, in any form, in any "app"?

Can it hold music? If so, what are the music options and interface for the music player? (Forward, Back, etc)

brendan09

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
beta

in the video, it does have a media icon, however it is not explored in the video. The OS includes h.264 video codecs, so i presume it can playback something. One of the test apps is demo-ed in the video and it supports multitouch, it highlights each finger that is touching it with a greencircle and a crosshair. Now that you mention it, im curious as to how early they started interfacing itunes with the software and media app, they have mentioned that itunes won't recognize it yet.

Brooklyn8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
:eek: @ the pic...keep it classy apple lol

@MattGTO Yes it had multi touch support I believe. There was a music option but I never got it to work.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post up the firmware!

I take it everyone who has downloaded it is now thinking the same thing...

Must. Make. Iphone. Prototype. Theme.

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
I got skankphone.app to appear on the homescreen as an icon. It launches, and shows a full size picture of its icon...quite an interesting photo... and then exits back to the homescreen. I'm working on posting photos. This is an iPhone 3G btw.

EDIT: Here are the links to the photos. If anyone has any suggestions, im opening to trying more.

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photovfu.jpg (home screen icon)
http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo2r.jpg (launched application)

What I've tried:
-Copying Skankphone.app to Application directory
-Copying entire AppleInternals Folder onto root of device
-Putting the skankphone and purpltstr launchdaemons in the launchdaemon folder

Thoughts:
-possibly a date lock?
-hardware ID / firmware check?
-#1 thought...It can't run on top of springboard. it has to be started instead, i dont know how to do this and im not sure how to try without risking the phone. But i did get the skankphone application on the springboard and successfully launched it to an icon screen. Im thinking that the screen that opens is only there to demonstrate that the app tried to open on springboard. I believe it closes purposefully, not crashes. Based on what I've been watching. Email me if you have any suggestions or thoughts. Brendan09 -at- gmail

So is that what you did to get the app to launch? I really want to get it to launch myself...

Also, is anyone else getting an error when they try to unpack the firmware? Ive tried it on 2 diff computers and I get the same result...

brendan09

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
yea

yea thats what i did to get it too launch, it still crashes after it opens and shows that screen.

-I placed those files where i mentioned in my previous post,
-resprung the springboard
-put in the launch daemon files
-resprung
-restarted phone

After all that, it had an icon on the home screen. Still havent gotten to open the actual skankphone interface though.

sp4rkbr

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Actually you can find references to the name "iPhone" in a lot of files, such as:

private\var\root\Library\Lockdown\data_ark.plist
System\Library\ApplePTP\PTPDeviceInfoDataset.plist
System\Library\Extensions\IOUSBDeviceFamily.kext\Info.plist
System\Library\LaunchDaemons\com.apple.usbptpd.plist

Check my attached .txt for a full list

Attachments

• list2.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 436

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
yea thats what i did to get it too launch, it still crashes after it opens and shows that screen.

-I placed those files where i mentioned in my previous post,
-resprung the springboard
-put in the launch daemon files
-resprung
-restarted phone

After all that, it had an icon on the home screen. Still havent gotten to open the actual skankphone interface though.

Probably not possible due to different iphone OS versions. For example, Installer apps have to be rewritten for iPhone firmware 2

Vanilla Cocoa

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'm trying to get the SkankPhone app run on my 2.2 phone right now - anyone has idea how to wrap this back up and turn into .ipsw that could be restored into an 2G iPhone (albeit pwned)

I have a spare one around for testing...

Looking at the dates in the fake-sync playback files, it's from 2006-09-06 - I have no idea if that's June or September :)

SkankPhone doesn't show up on springboard and when trying to run it manually as root, it crashes and leaves just "Killed" as output.

You're not going to get SkankPhone running on 2.x; don't bother trying. The frameworks and all were changed considerably. Your best bet would be trying with a 2G iPhone that can run 1.0.x (this would be one of the launch iPhones, as the newer 2G iPhones weren't able to run 1.0.x).

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Has anyone tried getting this software to load in the iPhone simulator with the development kit? surely thats a little easier than trying to troubleshoot it and restore it onto a real phone... and then everyone can download it and play around with it.

That definitely won't work -- the simulator's not an emulator.

Reactions: ASentientBot

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Dump of the SMS database:

Code:
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE _SqliteDatabaseProperties (key TEXT, value TEXT, UNIQUE(key));
INSERT INTO "_SqliteDatabaseProperties" VALUES('_ClientVersion','2');
CREATE TABLE message (ROWID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, address TEXT, date INTEGER, text TEXT, flags INTEGER, replace INTEGER, svc_center TEXT);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(1,'16302175872',1231024001,'Hey',2,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(2,'16302175872',1231024076,'Reply: Hey',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(3,'16302175872',1231024111,'Third message tests how punctuation impacts the parsing of a message with a phone number 5123725891, URL wap.yahoo.com, and email bill.rosenberg@cingular.com.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(4,'16302175872',1231024151,'This is a GSM SMS message with embedded phone numbers (512)372-5891 and a URL http://wap.yahoo.com with +15126741000 too.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(5,'16302175872',1231024946,'Second test with some LF characters added before the number
 5123725891 and after the URL wap.google.com
with +1(512)674-1000 and wap.yahoo.com also',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(6,'16302175872',1231024951,'Fourth is another punctuation test with an embedded phone number (5126741000), URL <http://wap.yahoo.com>, and email <bill.rosenberg@cingular.com> again.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(7,'16302175872',1231024954,'Apple was founded on April 1, 1976 by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne to sell the Apple I personal computer. They were hand-built in the garage of Jobs'' parents, and the Apple I was first shown to the public at the Homebrew Computer Club.  The Apple I was sold as a motherboard, not what is today considered a complete personal compute.  The user was required to provide two different AC input voltages (the manual recommended specific transformers), wire an ASCII keyboard (not provided with the computer) to a DIP connector (providing logic inverter and alpha lock chips in some cases), and to wire the video output pins to a monitor or to an RF modulator if a TV set was used.  Their website is www.apple.com.  Random email address: abc123@abc123.com.',3,0,NULL);
DELETE FROM sqlite_sequence;
INSERT INTO "sqlite_sequence" VALUES('message',7);
COMMIT;

sp4rkbr

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Dump of the SMS database:

Code:
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE _SqliteDatabaseProperties (key TEXT, value TEXT, UNIQUE(key));
INSERT INTO "_SqliteDatabaseProperties" VALUES('_ClientVersion','2');
CREATE TABLE message (ROWID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, address TEXT, date INTEGER, text TEXT, flags INTEGER, replace INTEGER, svc_center TEXT);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(1,'16302175872',1231024001,'Hey',2,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(2,'16302175872',1231024076,'Reply: Hey',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(3,'16302175872',1231024111,'Third message tests how punctuation impacts the parsing of a message with a phone number 5123725891, URL wap.yahoo.com, and email bill.rosenberg@cingular.com.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(4,'16302175872',1231024151,'This is a GSM SMS message with embedded phone numbers (512)372-5891 and a URL http://wap.yahoo.com with +15126741000 too.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(5,'16302175872',1231024946,'Second test with some LF characters added before the number
 5123725891 and after the URL wap.google.com
with +1(512)674-1000 and wap.yahoo.com also',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(6,'16302175872',1231024951,'Fourth is another punctuation test with an embedded phone number (5126741000), URL <http://wap.yahoo.com>, and email <bill.rosenberg@cingular.com> again.',3,0,NULL);
INSERT INTO "message" VALUES(7,'16302175872',1231024954,'Apple was founded on April 1, 1976 by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne to sell the Apple I personal computer. They were hand-built in the garage of Jobs'' parents, and the Apple I was first shown to the public at the Homebrew Computer Club.  The Apple I was sold as a motherboard, not what is today considered a complete personal compute.  The user was required to provide two different AC input voltages (the manual recommended specific transformers), wire an ASCII keyboard (not provided with the computer) to a DIP connector (providing logic inverter and alpha lock chips in some cases), and to wire the video output pins to a monitor or to an RF modulator if a TV set was used.  Their website is www.apple.com.  Random email address: abc123@abc123.com.',3,0,NULL);
DELETE FROM sqlite_sequence;
INSERT INTO "sqlite_sequence" VALUES('message',7);
COMMIT;

wow haha someone call him!

Brooklyn8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
The 630 number is my brothers number, please don't call him. In fact if you could edit out the number please do. When I was trying out the phone I texted him the test messages.

The Texas number I don't know. I also wouldn't call or harass this guy either.:)

Reactions: ASentientBot

retrovm

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
nj
The 630 number is my brothers number, please don't call him. In fact if you could edit out the number please do. When I was trying out the phone I texted him the test messages.

The Texas number I don't know. I also wouldn't call or harass this guy either.:)

haha, fear not, i didn't call him at least. i edited it out of my original reply. i used a relay service to call the texas number and it's a fax line i think, came back with modem craziness.

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
and (512)372-5891 is based out of texas.
backtracking, that's actually a landline. apparently it links to SBC.

If I recall correctly, the phones came from a Texas electronics store, so they probably tried it out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.