I got the 13" rMBP, and I love it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvm258, Oct 28, 2012.

1. dvm258 macrumors newbie

I'm just putting my own experience forward to address some of the negativity around the 13" rMBP here.

I unfortunately had to get an emergency replacement for my mid-2010 15" MBP this week. It was the top-of-the-line retail 15" model when it was purchased, with a 2.66 i7 dual core and discrete NVIDIA graphics. As a student though who only does some HD editing in FCP 7 once in a while (and not as a profession), I realized that for my new machine, I didn't really need a similarly-tiered model. Additionally, I really wanted a 13" because my old 15" was usually larger than the desks in class!

Enter the 13" rMBP, which I got with an i5 and 256 GB. I love it and meets all of my needs. Surprisingly, even without discrete graphics, this machine has easily outperformed by top-model 2010 MBP when running games like Portal 2. I'm running it with nearly all of the settings turned up to max. (The exceptions are resolution and anti-aliasing, which I have one setting below max.) My 2010 MBP, which did have discrete graphics, was unable to pull a playable framerate with those settings. If Intel keeps this up with the improvement of their integrated graphics, those in the industry who say graphics cards will soon go the way of the sound card are absolutely right, and it may happen sooner rather than later.

Sure, this computer isn't going to win any awards for rendering times in FCP. However, the SSD definitely contributes to making it go along at least a little faster than my old 2010 MBP did. As someone who doesn't use FCP every day, the level of performance I get out of this machine is just fine. In fact, the ability to upscale the resolution on the retina display gives me even more real estate for my timeline than I used to have, which itself is a BIG DEAL for me on such a small machine!

Yes, this machine does have a high price tag, and if you do intense CPU tasks on the job every day, it's to your benefit to upgrade to the 15" model and makes financial sense. But if you want a computer with lots of power for simple FCP editing that can still handle the graphics of some fairly recent games very well without sacrificing portability, the 13" rMBP is a great machine, and I don't regret purchasing it over the 15".

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Good stuff! Although it remains overpriced lol.

3. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have the 15" but had the opportunity to play with the 13" at the store. It is a beautiful machine.

4. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Thanks dvm, I think your type of posts will increase in the next few weeks when people realise just how much of a benefit a larger resolution screen is over the non-retina models in everyday tasks. Your type of usage pretty much reflects mine, but I won't be doing any gaming on the machine. What resolution do you find to be the perfect fit for normal tasks. I'm guessing you up the res when you need to do editing work?

Apple is charging so much because they can! Instead of other companies trying to produce a similar product they are actually giving up (Sony Z)!

5. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Amazing computer! Expensive...DEFINITELY. But my overall experience with it so far has led me to believe that it is worth every darn penny!

6. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Yup! Just played with it a few hours ago.. and I must say wow that display is amazing..

Also though it might not seem like it on paper, the 13" rMBP is a lot smaller and compact than the 13" cMBP - it felt so tiny that I considered a 15" but nah 13" is perfect.

The Air may have a little competition, may steal a few customers away from the Air as the 13" rMBP is about .5 lbs. heavier, with retina, and has a "much smaller" footprint.

However, I personally am awaiting the 13" rMBA. (Is around the corner, so no "waiting until the best" game here. :D

7. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I think you'll be waiting a long time, MBA is now the budget model.

8. dvm258 thread starter macrumors newbie

I usually use the "Best for Retina" setting unless I'm using FCP. I actually don't have any textbooks in my classes this year, and everything I have to read is in PDF format, so the retina display is perfect for all that text! It's a major reason why I wanted a retina model instead of a cMBP. It's expensive, but if you don't need all the power of the 15", yet want more speed than a stock 13" cMBP, and desire the portability offered by the 13", it's a good option.

9. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Samsung showed off a Series 9 ultrabook as thin as MBA with 2560x1600 display, I think they will release that next year so Apple has some competition - think they pretty much have to go retina soon.

And plus I think like 2 weeks back (like 2 months after high-res Series 9 prototype shown) Samsung upgraded its 13" Series 9 ultrabook - .4 lbs. lighter than the Air while being .5" thick throughout.

So.. Apple gotta get ready (not for me, as I prefer the Mac, but for the general population).

10. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Hey OP, I've already played with the 13" rMBP, but still am undecided on using 1440x900 or 1680x1050 (I don't want to say OCD, cause it feels so cliched and so easily used).

Would you kindly mind uploading 2 pictures (full screen iTunes - showing the side menu bar with songs in list mode, one on 1440x900 and the other on 1680x1050)? Would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

11. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, it will be either one of those two for regular usage. I played around with it in the shop on the 1680x1050 res and found it borderline in terms of size/readability ratio, so still unsure. I guess I'll know more when it finally arrives..

12. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Glad some people like it! I saw it today at the Apple store...it looked and performed great! :cool:

13. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Lol.. when you do get your hands on your 13" rMBP please upload some pictures on 1440x900 and 1680x1050 as well as giving me your thoughts on what you use on a daily basis, if you switch res for certain tasks, or just keep it at one res, or anything like that and why..

With that said, this is probably one of the few times I'm really excited about an Apple product as I really love the retina display. The 13" rMBP at the Apple store basically glued my eyes to the screen lol - wanted to stay, but could only stay for a short while.

Oh the love for art.. obsession haha.