I got the 8 Core Mac Pro today, questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by au-student, Jan 18, 2008.

1. au-student macrumors newbie

Just wanted to share my happiness and ask if anyone had questions.

[​IMG]

^ that is a screenshot of menu-meters monitoring all 8 cores in my menubar!

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your new 'puter. I picked mine up yesterday. Maybe you can answer this question for me. How on earth do you open the second Optical Drive? I have tried holding down the Option key while clicking on the "Open Superdrive" in the menu bar, and only the top one opens. What gives? I am using the Logitech cordless keyboard, so I thought that might be the problem. I then attached the Apple (USB)keyboard, and same deal when holding down Option key.
    I would so appreciate if you had the solution.
    Thanks

3. Random Chaos macrumors member

Either shift or option + eject (can't remember which) opens it. If you keyboard doesn't have eject, press and hold F12. If you have parallels installed and running, make sure it hasn't given your optical drive to Windows; if so, you'll have to transfer it back to the mac through the Parallels menu before you can use it on the mac side.

Oh, also, I've seen some revews of the Logitec cordless KBs that they have issues if the wireless dongle is plugged in after the system boots sending some of the keys correctly, such as the extended function keys and the command keys.

4. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

How did you get the meters in the menu bar?

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I have tried all the various key combo's with now luck, even with the Apple Keyboard. Any other ideas?

6. rcgrabbag macrumors newbie

It's definitely Option + Eject button. Hold both down for a few seconds. The Eject button is above the Delete key, next to F12.

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Usually when you put a second drive in there will be an "eject" button on the menu bar on top and you can click that to access both drives. That's what mine is showing. That and I can hit the "option" key and the "eject" button and it works. There's no icon on the menu bar on top?

8. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

iStat Menus!

9. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Actually, I just had this problem when I put mine in... You have to switch the jumpers on both to "CS"... "Cable Select" ... NOT Master and Slave.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Nice, and that works with Leopard? Not buggy? I'm now hesitant on putting 3rd party stuff on here. haha.

11. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I've been running iStat Menus and Leopard since the day Leopard was released and I've had no problems.

12. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

And it's probably the coolest thing I have ever used. Thanks.

13. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Darth: I'll be putting in a Lightscribe drive from my PC into my MP - you need to put *both* of the drives to "cable select" in order for them to work?

-Bryan

14. au-student thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually use menumeters. I have used it for years; no issues. I love them. CPU; RAM, Network, HD access.... all very useful and doesn't use much resources...

15. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yes, we probably have the same Lightscribe drive. I was asking around and everyone suggested putting it to Cable Select, because that's what Apple recommends. Works perfectly. Just be careful attaching the IDE cable to the drive, I nearly bent off one of the prongs and had to bend it back. lol

This was the thread it was talked about in. Interesting stuff.

Also, here is what Apple posted on it too.

The standard SuperDrive and second optical drive, if added, are configured as cable select and comply with the ATA/ATAPI-5 industry standard.

16. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Dumb question... what software do you use with your lightscribe?

17. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I use Toast 7 and 8. And to be honest, I have never used the label burning function (software) with the Lightscribe. haha. Got it just in case I would need it last minute. I have access at my work for a CD/DVD printer.

18. duppydrew macrumors newbie

can you drop a regular pc graphics card in the second pcix16 2.0 slot and see if it will work in bootcamp? thanks

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yes and it will work.

edit - for driver purposes, I wouldn't mix manufactures. If you've got a nvidia card in now, go with another nivida card (preferably of the same series)

20. ODLAWMAC macrumors newbie

Leopard

Knowing Leopard comes pre-installed on every new Mac Pro, Front row should be on every Mac Pro right? If this is the case is there way the Apple Remote would work with your Mac Pro to launch Front Row? This would be so cool.