I Got the Mac Pro - Now What?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TSparger, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TSparger macrumors member

I received my refurb Mac Pro yesterday and got it all hooked up to my new NEC 24" monitor and turned it on. Well I started going throught the welcome program and came to realize that Apple didn't install the Airport Extreme Wi-Fi card that was suppose to be included. After a little time with Apple Care, I'm suppose to take the computer to a local Apple certified store and get the card installed.

My first question is that I have purchased a bunch of internal HD's and RAM from OWC. Should I go ahead and install those or should I wait to make sure everything is ok with the computer as delivered?

Second, should I get the Airport Extreme card or look into another method of internet connection?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Congratulations.

Some people will hate me for even asking this, but did you need it for work?

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

My refurb came without it too. I ordered one from small dogs and installed it myself. Not hard but tedious to do. If your not comfortable doing it, let them do it, unless you want to use ethernet. I would say set up the firewall and stuff, then install the rest of your stuff. Do the ram first to insure there's no problem with that, then the hard drives. Don't think it will void the warrenty but am not sure. Which model did you get? I just ordered a 2.8 octo and will get it wednesday.

5. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

I got the same model. Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm taking the HD that came with the computer out and repacing it with a WD Velociraptor, which I'm going to put the OS and applications on. Does that change anyone's answer. Oh, and by the way, yes I'm using this for work.

6. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

Did you read the questions?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Boot the computer before you put any upgrades in it. Transfer your data, do whatever you have to do to get to the main user interface, and then check the hardware in Apple System Profiler. If everything registers there, then shut it down and install your upgrades.

If you've already made an appointment with Apple, go ahead and do the AirPort thing.

8. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

Should I transfer data even though I'm not going to put the data on the main HD? My data will ultimately be going to a 1 TB WD drive in bay #2.

9. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I think you should wait before installing anything and make sure everything goes smooth at the Apple Store. No need to do it twice if there ends up being an issue with your unit.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Put your hard drives in and RAM too. Leave it running over night to see if any of them fail. Hardware test the next morning.

Clean install of Mac OS X. Set up Raid 1 or Time Machine, depending on what you like.

Bootcamp or VMware if you are running Windows. There are lots of patches and installs you got to do if your going windows.

And if your gaming on bootcamp, a shinny new graphics card like GTX 260 Core 216 or even the insane GTX 295. Get your booster cables and molex to PCIe cables.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would use wired ethernet, its overall much faster than any wireless out there.

12. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I have one more question on this subject. What's the best way to replace the 320 GB drive that came with the MP? Should I install the 150 GB VelociRaptor that I plan to replace it with in bay 2, copy everything over to the 150 GB drive or simply take out the 320 and do a new install of the OS and applications from the disks?

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Well you've got a lot of options there... By doing a re-install, you can customize what you want and don't want installed. For example, if you had no use for GarageBand, you can elect not to install that.

Also, after installing the OS, I'd recommend obtaining and running Monolingual, which will let you get rid of all the extra languages that take up a lot of space.

14. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I have the stomach for a clean install. I'm thinking I will install the VelociRaptor into bay #2 and use something like superduper to copy the existing HD over to the new one and then swap them out. If this is not a good idea then I would like to hear about it.

15. mastershakess macrumors 6502

IMO I'd make sure the computer was the way its suppose to be before I did anything. Get what you paid for and then install your data/ram

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you're happy with your current OS X install then there is no need to reinstall everything from a fresh all over again.

Just pop in your new drive and CCC or SuperDuper it over, change your startup disk and you're done.

I'll be doing the exact same thing myself when my new boot disk arrives.

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Agreed. Though if you are taking into the Apple store to get the wifi card, I wouldn't add the extra hardware until after. I've been away from the forums for a while (about 7 months), but I guess I am back now!

18. Dale Gribble macrumors newbie

Slightly related question, so I figured best not to make a new thread.

I have also just ordered a refurbished Mac Pro (2.8gHz quad), and it doesn't come with the airport extreme card and Apple are idiots and don't have it to buy in their store, so I was looking at getting one off ebay.

Do I need the proper airport extreme card or will any 3rd party wireless receiver do? Because I have a PCI one in my PC that has no use at the moment, if that'll work I'll use that instead of getting a new one.

19. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I doubt there would be drivers for OS X.

20. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Just had my refurb 2.8 upgraded with an airport extreme from an apple store in minneapolis. 43 bucks for the card and free install. I saw the ones on ebay that showed discs with the card so I asked them if there were any disc's to give me for drivers and was told no. The box the card came in had only apple information booklets inside. It should recognize your card after install.

21. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Congratulations, can't wait to get my hands on this update (which is taking forever!)

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Five more months. Hang in there!