I got the MacBook to game on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lite426, Oct 22, 2015.

1. lite426 macrumors regular

Some of you might think that's strange. But I wanted a laptop that I could game on without the fans whirring up and so far, I'm pleased with how well the games I play (Source games) run on OS X. The MacBook has surprised me in this area. I thought throttling and heat would be a problem. But I suppose I'll have to reserve judgment until summer.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Some? Nearly everyone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the CPU/GPU selection and being fanless (read throttling), I don't think the MacBook is the best choice for gaming - that's just me.

4. Acronyc macrumors 6502

It really depends on what kind of games. Old games, indies, and adventure games (like Stasis, an awesome new game that runs great) are some of the types of games that'll work fine. It's not a 3D gaming machine by a long stretch, but it can handle a fair share of titles.

5. lite426 thread starter macrumors regular

The being fanless is exactly why it's a good choice for gaming, for me.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand your point but given the heat that will generate from game playing, the CPU will be throttled since there's only passive heat dissipation

7. lite426 thread starter macrumors regular

So far I'm surprised I haven't really noticed throttling. Maybe in the hotter summer days it'll be more noticeable.

8. sakabaro macrumors regular

I've played once on the rMB and I was surprised how well it handle gaming.

And this is comparing with a monster PC rig I've home: 34" curved + GT980 Overclocked + I7 4790K 4.0GHZ + 16GO ram + 500 Samsung SSD...

9. sakabaro macrumors regular

[Troll Mode ON] Maybe because it doesn't have a buggy ATI GPU in it like Macs with discrete GPUs have.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe you won't and if you're happy with it - money well spent.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

When I first got my 1.2 I tried a few things out, if you elevate the rear, or better still have a small powered cooler the rMB can hold 2Ghz all day long, even under full CPU load.

As for games I have played a heavily modified version of System Shock 2, Amnesia the Dark Decent, Stasis and most demanding Doom 3. As long as you are realistic with the settings the rMB copes reasonably well. All the same it`s far from a gaming system :)

Q-6