I got tricked into buying an app!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profetto, Aug 24, 2008.

1. profetto macrumors regular

What the hell.

I was updating my apps, one of the apps I have is Mocha VNC lite. It had an update, so I went to update it, then I was prompted 'This app is only discounted to people who bought it at the discounted price before, click OK or Cancel', my only options were Cancel or Buy, but I thought hell, I bought the app when it was free so I shouldn't be getting charged. So I clicked buy, and it effing put Mocha VNC on my iPhone, the lite version completely disappeared and now I have the full version which is crap because I barely used the lite version in the first place!!!

Just to note, this happened to me a few months ago, and after I clicked Buy, I was prompted again saying 'You already have bought this app' and I was never charged, I thought the same thing was going to happen again.

How the hell does this make sense, especially considering Mocha VNC lite is still available in iTunes??

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You were not 'tricked'. How did you come to that conclusion?

iTunes clearly stated it would be a charged update for people who did not buy the original version of Mocha VNC.

Mocha VNC Lite is FREE.
    You updated to the latest version, which is a charged update.

Right now, you are complaining about being charged for, and having an application sync to your device, in light of YOU, and you only, clicking the 'buy' button.

Where is the logic in that complaint? :rolleyes:

R-Fly

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I wouldn't have expected to be charged, either. VNC lite is still available, so the program didn't move from free to pay and thus have a pay-only update. Mocha VNC is a completely different program, and shouldn't have come up as an upgrade.

You've got something weird going on.

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

That sucks. I can't think of any reason that would happen. My update went fine on that one and it fixed the crash bug I was having. Other updates aren't working for me, though as they almost finish downloading and then fail with a message saying I will need to do the update via iTunes. But then it gets jacked up doing that, too.

5. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Your the genius that read the options "Ok or Cancel" and decided to pick "OK" what did you think it as going to do.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's just weird he was updating an app and somehow purchased a separate app in the process. How can you guys not see that?

7. ogdogg macrumors 6502

8. Madvillain Guest

[snip]

I would be upset, as it the OP, if I had the option to update a FREE app and was then charged.
    I have been sent many 'bills' from iTunes for free apps. The bill shows no charge. I can completely understand how this guy feels 'tricked' and agree that he was. An update to a free app should not result in a fee.

9. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

The same thing happened to me when I tried to update Tetris. The app store tried to get me to completely repurchase it in order to update.