I gues they did not fix the micro crack issue on the white iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Erkinshadow, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Erkinshadow macrumors newbie

I got a white 3Gs on June 19th, today I noticed micro cracks by he head phone Jack and by the speaker , mic and screws. I have had the phone in a hard plastic case from day 1. It is a bit annoing but I think I will beable to live with it.

2. Jay26 macrumors member

Set an appointment and take it to the Genius Bar for replacement.

3. Erkinshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife's 16 white 3gs does not have the cracks . It looks as a clear coating above the white is cracked

4. pablo7 macrumors 6502

5. Erkinshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an appotment with a genius on tues. How hard was it to get a return

6. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Apple MUST know about the cracking issue, since man y many 3G iPhones had issues with them. I was baffled by the decision to keep the same design on the 3GS, but thought they must have changed the plastic to stop the cracking. They haven't and it's annoying, but another pointer to a 'rushed' and 'stop gap' iPhone upgrade :(

7. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I'm SURE they were going to change the cover but found some last minute problems and took the easiest route: re-use the 3G ones.

8. iLoveiPhone3GS macrumors member

Theyre doing an investigation about it right now. If you take your phone it, the genius will ask you where you usually keep your phone, and what kind of case you use. Theyll also ask you the same over the phone.

Also, they didnt really re use the iphone 3G ones as the letters are in chrome, but im sure they did reuse the same molds and the same compound/mix of plastic. Methinks a heat issue is causing these cracks.

9. diabolic macrumors 68000

Yeah, I guess changing all the internal hardware isn't that big a deal.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

Took my black one in last week and was given a new (refurb) with only a few questions.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm concerned there is no way to prevent these tiny stress cracks. It's simply due to the plastic material that they used. I have stress cracks near the headphone jack and the dock connector. I also have stress cracks on my late 07 white MacBook as well. Looks as if they use the same material to me. The cracks look identical to me. I don't sweat it though. It still works perfect and I don't even notice them unless I look at the phone up close. From normal viewing distance and use, I don't see them at all.

Maybe if Apple used a little softer, more pliable plastic, we wouldn't be having these issues, but when push comes to shove. It's not uncommon for Apple to put form over function.

12. lasteve macrumors member

Ok I don't know if anybody is familiar with the exchange process when you exchange your iphone at the genius bar. They give you a refurbished one out of a white box but has anybody done this with the new 3GS??
    I dont think there are 3GS refurbs yet so will they give you a new 3GS?
    Mine has cracks so considering taking it in this week.

13. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Why do you get a refurbished one? Shouldn't a brand new, faulty item be replaced with a new item?

I know for a fact, if I had the same issue and was going back to O2. After paying £175 I'd accept nothing less than a brand new handset!

14. Erkinshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

well I decided that I can live with the micro cracks. but if it get worse I will be taking it in. :apple: