Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc Shultz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Corvallis
I am trying to chalk this up to bad luck. I posted a couple of weeks ago on Sunday that my early 2013 MacBook Pro had died unexpectedly while I was doing some homework. I am in nursing school and I needed a computer that could run exam software my school required us to use for a test (the next morning at 7am, plus about 5 hours of homework that was due by that Sunday evening) , and neither my older PC, or nearby family memebers computers were new enough to run it. So my options on a Sunday early afternoon were to buy a new MacBook Pro, or buy something else I would regret buying later (like a $700 laptop). So I purchased a 2017 touchbar 15” MBP with 512gb ssd and 16gb ram.

Today, less than two weeks later, I go to plug my computer in at school, and the computer doesn’t start charging. In fact all 4 of the ports wouldn’t charge (one would charge ever 7th-10th time I plugged it in), so I stopped by my local authorized Apple retailer and they did some diagnostics and confirmed my computers usb-c ports had failed, they guessed logic board. Because I have an 8 page paper I need to write this weekend, I couldn’t take the time to do a walk-in appointment at the nearest Apple store, which is 60 miles away, I tried to schedule an appointment, but they are booked out over a week. So I called Apple, and they emailed me a shipping slip so I could return the new mac for a refund, and I purchased a new one from the authorized retailer. The guys from the store helped me out by providing a shipping box for the computer and helped me pack it before I headed to work (working full time and school full time is not fun, nor recommended btw). So now I am the proud new owner of an identicle mac, with slightly less clicky keys, and currently functioning usb-c charging (fingers crossed).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It happens sadly, though it sounds like apple has fixed the issue for you.

Reactions: Queen6

Doc Shultz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Corvallis
It happens sadly, though it sounds like apple has fixed the issue for you.
I would say that I used Apples normal return policy’s to my advantage, but Apple did nothing above and beyond in this case. I think it’s important to point out that if this had occurred this coming Monday (past the initial 14 day purchase date), my options would have been drastically reduced, and I would have either had to schedule an Apple store appointment (which in my area is consistently booked out over a week), do a walk-in, or ship it off to apple for an in-warranty repair. In my case none of these options would be viable given my work/ school schedule and requirements.
[doublepost=1519544363][/doublepost]
BTW, I was surprised to hear they change the keyboard in the middle of the 2017 run.
Can you elaborate on what they changed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.