I Guess It's Not My Month for Apple Products

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uiop., Mar 12, 2009.

1. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I have a genius bar appointment for both my iPhone 3G and my MacBook Pro. How nice that the two electronics I use the most on a daily basis have started failing within the last month.

iPhone-
    1) More dropped calls then you can shake a stick at. Full 3G service.
    2) Cracks in the plastic back. Second time its happened.
    3) DUST under the screen. Just noticed it today...and there's a bunch of it.
    4) Light leaks. Doesn't really bother me though.

MacBook Pro-
    1) Ethernet port is fried. Doesn't even recognize when something is plugged into it.
    2) The screen flickers on occasion.
    Note that this is the Unibody MBP, not the previous generation that had defective video cards. I don't know it I am going to tell them about this issue now though. I don't really want them to completely dismantle the computer, and can't be without my Mac for that long.

So does anyone else have similar stories? I'm not too thrilled, but life goes on. ;)

2. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Ouch man, sorry to hear that. maybe you got a Monday morning/Friday evening build...oh thats right, they are made in China, they don't get days off.

does this happen often OP or your first time having troubles?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bummer. I hope Apple sets you up with a new iPhone and fixes your MBP.

4. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

My screen flickers for a quick moment periodically in a long while.

Not something I'm going to worry about until it does so every few minutes.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've recently been to 2 nearby Apple stores and an Apple reseller for the screen flicker issue. Funny, because none of them flickered under the care and observation of the qualified repair people.

However:

- The Yorkdale Apple Store was so busy that they didn't even look at the screen. The Apple service guy talked to me for 5 minutes, didn't really look at the machine (other than About This Mac), and determined it was the inverter. They replaced the inverter, and then re-attached it 3 days later because they said it was possibly loose and causing problems.

- I went to an Apple reseller because I figure they'd give my machine more time for diagnosis. I asked them what they were doing for 5 days, and they admitted to running a diagnostic CD but without actually looking at the screen. Diagnostic software doesn't test for screen flicker!! After 5 days, they ordered me another inverter and video cable of some sort. Took 8 days total and didn't fix the problem. Saw flicker on the weekend. Hmmm.....

- Next, Fairview Mall Apple Store actually tested my machine, but they saw no flickering. Apparently they did stare at it, so fair enough. They did their job. :eek:

My Apple account has probably been flagged by now as a crazy customer whose machine has no problems, as a person who may be trying to commit some sort of fraud, or......I don't know what. :rolleyes:

I really wouldn't be surprised if my account was flagged.