I guess it's not SO bad... (my stolen MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marcquito, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

Heard back from the insurance company today. They're giving me $1500 for my loss. I guess I'm doing better than most - a few people claimed i'd only get 1K at the most.

I was hoping to not shell out any cash for a new one. Oh well... I guess I'll live. I'll scrounge up 500 bucks from somewhere.

On a lighter note- the new ones come out fairly soon. I guess I'm benefiting somehow!

2. mgclayton macrumors member

Check out the refurbs. There's even a 2.2GHz for $1449 at the moment. I've had 3 Apple refurbs (MBP, AEBS, Mini), and all have been excellent.

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

getting a new computer is always especially and upgrade but man does that ever suck that it was stolen in the first place.

How did it happen?

4. Toneboat923 macrumors member

5. Jatku macrumors member

Renter's/homeowner's insurance?

6. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member

Marcquito

Homeowners insurance covered it.

How did it happen? In a nutshell, a group of juveniles kicked down my door early in the morning and grabbed it off the coffee table and hauled ass. They also got some games, a wii, and other crap.

The MBP was taken along with the carrying case, apple remote, mouse, rosetta stone disc, ipod usb, and charger. *Cries*

7. Toneboat923 macrumors member

holy crap thats pretty renegade..do you live in the ghetto?

8. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member

Marcquito

I live in Atlanta. So... Yes. I do.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Lmao I love your word choice.

I'm not laughing at your MBP being stolen, I just thought that comment was too funny :p.

Good to know that homeowners insurance covers stuff like that.

10. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

11. Habusho macrumors 6502

Consider yourself lucky to get anything out of those bastards. Anyway, sorry for the burglary, maybe you need to find a new place to live before buying another mac?

12. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Is it just that American insurance works differently, or do I just have good insurance?

If my MBP gets stolen, I just buy a new one and send the receipt off to the insurance company and they pay the whole amount - that's just under my home insurance, nothing special.

13. Jatku macrumors member

It might depend on the company. I know that some (maybe all) of the insurance companies like to give the depreciated value of items. A friend of mine had a few things stolen, and they tried to give the "depreciated" value of a Playstation 3 :mad: as if they easy to find used ones somewhere. I forgot if they actually gave him the full cost of a new one or not though.

14. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...lots of crime in the ATL

15. Keleko macrumors 68000

I live in the Atlanta area, too (NE side of town). None of the teens in my neighborhood are prone to that sort of thing, though.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I live in a ghetto. Just of people who are doing well.

FYI, your use of the word is not PC nor is it even correct.

17. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member

Marcquito

I have done TimeMachine backups every two weeks for 6 months. The night before it happened I did another TimeMachine backup, so it's about as recent as it gets.

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I live in downtown Atlanta in the Castleberry Hill area. After living in Chicago for over four years I don't think it's any worse here than in any larger city. The good news, rumors are that the next MBP/MB's will be about $200. less than the current lineup. I wish that I could have waited on my MBP but I'm quite happy with my 2.4.

19. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

And I'm happy you did. Again, I'm sorry for your loss, but at least you're going to be one of the first ones to give us a review of the new MBP. Cheers.:):apple:

20. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

My parent's insurance (as I am still 18) says they will cover my new Macbook Pro (or laptop in general) up to $4,000....which is good news as I am looking to closely max out hardware specs on it. Check with your insurance if you haven't yet your probably covered (to all in general). Sorry I used so many parentheses!!!

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I live in the same area. They'd have to do a lot of kicking to get to mine in my bedroom. I also have one dog that would scare the crap outta them (85-pound black lab) and another that would lick them to death (35-pound kinda yellow lab mutt). I think the kids around here are mostly just the stupid kind that don't understand how to not ride your bike toward oncoming cars and shrieking really isn't endearing.

However, Norcross is too close for my liking. I wouldn't trust the kids in some of that area for a second. Frappin' gangs all over the place, and you know gangstas love them some iPods.

22. hijac macrumors newbie

Re: Insurance

Sorry for the loss. Although brought up a post or two ago, it bears repeating: if anyone has actual cash value on property, it will be depreciated appropriately should there be a loss. Also, make sure there are no "special limits of insurance" which would cap any payout unless the item was scheduled with the company (it varies, but computers generally are not required to be). Read the policy jacket, as it may also limit the coverage for theft or mysterious disappearance without an additional endorsement. Most carriers offer replacement cost on property which would allow an adjuster to write you a check for a brand new item.

Someone had spoken about their computer being covered under their parent's policy. If you are in college and live in a dorm, you may want to ensure it is still covered. Sometimes carriers apply a percentage of the coverage to property located normally outside the home. If you are in a dorm or student apartment, you may want to change your official mailing address to that of your parents to get around underwriting restrictions (because the property may be incidental to class attendance, but normally located at the parent's residence).

Also keep in mind that the insurance industry has a loss history report, similar to a credit report, which they are able to use in considering for future insurance purposes and to which you have no legal right to access and verify the information on there. Just some tips from an insider ;)

23. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

man I m sorry for you....:(