I guess the honeymoon may be over...problem with Acrobat Cs2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coocooforcocoap, Nov 1, 2007.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Hi all, I have been on my new MBP for about a month now and while i love it (I am a convert) I think the honeymoon is over. I am starting to notice all kinds of things about my new lover never noticed on our first date at the Apple Bar. Today's pimple is Adobe Acrobat. It just stopped working right. It can't produce a PDF file from a document with sections. It tries to process each one, then hangs Word 2004. Canceling the hung print job results in a pdf with just the last page. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Nasty. Detect and repair and a complete uninstall and reinstall did nothing. I know the word file is alright, as if I go over to my XP box (now relegated to file serving and cleaning the bathroom) the word file generates a perfect PDF in just a few seconds. Well, that's today's pimple, keep your eye out for more blemishes on my tarnished lover.

2. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I haven't used Acrobat in forever since I just print them to PDF through OSX.

Have you tried making a PDF from the print dialog box (bottom left of Print Box) and not using Acrobat?

3. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

I want a divorce.

hi thanks for the quick reply! but it acts the same there. acrobat seems to be trying to complete a section of the document, then writes out the partial file, then gives up after a bit, never resolving the print job.

i have to use the professional features in my biz, and i had a client here today looking at me like i was a doodoo. i would just dump adobe if there was an alternative...i've had it. i want a divorce bad from that girl. u can find my other posts here about problems with canon products and premiere pro. I just hope there is nothing wrong with shiny tin baby.

4. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

When you uninstalled it, did you go to the ~library/preferences, ~library/cache, and ~library/application support and deleted all files related to acrobat?

I suspect you are missing a .plist or something that's staying in place during your uninstall/install process that keeps causing the problem.

I just fired up my Adobe Acrobat CS2 (under Leopard) and PDF'd a 13 page legal document from Word. It did great, all footer, headers and formating was perfect.

edit: Now that I've read what I wrote, I am not so sure about it. If OSX will not make PDF's then I'm not sure it's a plist or preferences issue.

5. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

It's a plot...

Well, thanks for ur help...i am pretty technical, even with the mac, i followed the convuluted uninstall procedures (the files are everywhere and u even have to turn off a system process by hand, and plog thru windows instructions that the adobe writer mixed in - funny, the windows instructions never mention a mac, so it makes me think there is a plot at adobe to do everything possible to confuse mac users. Anyway, I am clueless now. Anyone know of a mac program that can just do this:
    * generate press-quality pdf files as well as lowfi emailable ones
    * allow u to read and edit pages (touch up, add or delete pages)
    * combine PDF files
    Thats all i ever use in Acrobat bloatware. Why this app is just not a toolbox of small apps is beyond me. So, as soon as i find something that does the above, i am outta there.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Sorry I don't know any specific apps, but I know there are PDF apps for Mac out there. They are obviously designed to give you more than the built-in OSX 'Save as PDF' function, so I would think you should be able to find something.

Your requirements are a bit more than the built-in features, but nothing too extravagant either...

Hope you can pop that zit- ;)

7. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

thanks, looking around now...so far all i can see is PDFpenPRo but the reviews look bad on version tracker. all the other commercial 99$ apps seem to be PC only. I did not even realize that osx had that build in?!? i just assumed it was something creative suite put there. maybe that's the problem. adobe clobbered the apple stuff? well, i'll let all know if i fix this...

8. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Problem Determined, either an OS X or Word 2004 Problem

Well, after spending hours on this, going thru documents with this problem, I have found the culprit: wherever there is a section break that messes with the page size/margins/area(?) mac fails. here is an example, and i have attached the small word file:
    [​IMG]
    this same file resolves fine on an XP box, it seems that the XP distiller is more forgiving of stupid formatting then whatever is distilling on the mac (Acrobat, OSX, PDFpen, whatever). The problem this brings up for me is that i have tons of word files from dozens of users that i have to edit and pdf on a regular basis. If this mbp can't do the job, what to do? drag around an XP box??? yet that would be more feasible then having to fix stupid user window mistakes all day and night. hmmmmm....now i am starting to get the "mac for home, PC for business argument."

Attached Files: