I guess there will be no 30" ACD updates..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

.. just a 27" Glassy display, ala 27" iMac screen on a stand.

I hope  will give us a matte option. But being used to a 30", going smaller to a 27" sucks

There's hope for an updated 30" matte ACD but I won't be holding my breath

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

But, the rumored 27" ACD would presumably support 2560x1440 resolution as does the iMac, which is relatively similar to the native resolution of the current 30" ACD. 16:9 ratio has been a big trend lately with consumer LCD monitors and it appears that the new ACD would be no exception.

If you don't like glossy displays, there are several alternatives to buying an Apple-branded monitor. Besides, ACDs are essentially IPS panels wrapped in pretty boxes.

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I wish Apple would update the 30" ACD too. The 27" iMac display is not only smaller it has a higher dot pitch which makes text and menus harder to read. And I doubt Apple will make matte an option on a 27" ACD :(

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Exactly, the dot pitch on the 30 ACD combined with matte makes it a truly great workstation display, I work 8-15hrs a day on them and get very little headaches and eye strain

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The alternatives are either crappy Dell monitors or expensive EIZO's Maybe the NEC's might fit somewhere in the middle :rolleyes:

6. harlem macrumors member

Don't know where you got the idea that Dell monitors are crap? on the contrary i would without a doubt rather prefer a Dell ultrasharp than an overprised mediocre Apple monitor. No way are Apple monitors better than the Ultrasharp Dells and i work on both.

7. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

dell monitors are great. obviously the consumer level ones are not what you are looking for, so you can go for the ultrasharp series which are great. also, NEC monitors are some of the best around, i don't know what you are talking about...

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I'm very sorry. My sincerest apologies. I meant to say Dell monitors LOOK like CRAP :D

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'd be surprised if Apple replaced the 30" ACD with a 27" one. The loss in screen size and resolution would not be seen as worth it to a lot of professionals - particularly those that have been using 30" ACDs for six years now. My guess is that Apple is holding off until it can produce a 30"+ display. Possibly 32" with a resolution superior to that of the 30" ACD. Possibly 2844x1600 or even 3072x1728. 2560x1600 was a limitation of the DVI spec. Display port can go a fair bit higher - up to 3840x2160x30bpp@60Hz. With matte as an option.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

One would hope.. I'd buy two or three if they did. Till then I'll stick to my 30 ACD's

11. harlem macrumors member

never quite understood why people payed that much money for an Apple monitor. obviously they quality is "far" from what you expect for such pricey monitors. Also in an agency where i worked they had 3 of those 30" monitors give up on them in 2 years time! experienced it myself, while working on some project, thousands of pixels turned greenish/blue all over the screen...i told the boss and he was like "F$#k, another one!" then he explained this was the third 30" Apple that gave up in 2 years time (and no, it wasn't the video card)

since recently he had the broken ones replaced with 30" Dell ultra sharps and Apple doesn't even come close to the Dells quality

12. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

My thinking is it would have to be a 2K monitor or RedOne comparable. As to size, well thats for a logical guess. And possibly the ATI Radeon 5970 if that would work???

13. Tali macrumors member

That's exactly my experience. I used to work with 30" ACDs quite a lot and I have almost completely shifted to Dell. They are nice to look at (the 3008 WFP coming in brushed aluminum), very adjustable, have a ton of different inputs (sure you can get an external card reader and a ton of adapters, but its quite nice to actually hook it all up to the display and be done with it) and they come with pretty good warranty options (you can get deals with 5 years without paying extra) at a nice price.
    You don't have to carry the thing to an Apple Store in case it breaks, someone will come by and slap a new (!) one on your desk the very next day.

I'm in no way a Dell fan, I hate their laptops and the quality they offer there (my girlfriends' laptop had to be repaired 4 times to fix a broken lcd) but with standalone displays and especially the 3008 WFP, they are awesome.
    Especially when you can get the same panel with 5 year pixel warranty for half of the ACDs price. Now that Apple logo just can't be worth that much.

14. Jensend macrumors regular

I find the newest models to be very clean looking... a simple 3/4" matte black plastic bevel around the outside.

Sure. It isn't as thin and glossy as the Apple, but I prefer an internal power supply and a very adjustable stand. The Dells even allow you to remove the non-proprietary cables from the back of the screen!

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

apple updates their ACD's once in a blue moon, so its not surprising that we're not seeing any sort of updates.

I picked up a 24" ACD last March and was chastised because the 27" was around the corner

16. ahenson macrumors newbie

17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Doesn't HP have the newer ZR24W or something along those lines that was meant to replace the 2475W?

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm still waiting for the 27" cinema display.

C'MON ALREADY!!! :mad::mad::mad:

19. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I think it all comes down to the sweetest of the transition metals...I'm talking about Mercury of course. I don't see Apple introducing a new Mercury containing product, which means its would need to be LED. AFAIK, there is not a current maker of an LED back panel the size needed for the direct replacement of the 30 inch ACD. The closes is the LED backlight used in the 27 inch iMac. Apple might special order one I guess, but I doubt it given their recent track record in the professional arena.

The current 30 inch has been around for about ~20% of the ENTIRE HISTORY of Apple!

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't think that's necessarily true - LED backlit LCD TVs have been on the market for a good while now in sizes far over 27". The tricky part would be the manufacture of panels with such a high resolution. Mind you, I don't remember hearing about panels capable of displaying as many pixels as the 30", 24" and even all the way back to the 22" ACDs. As far as I'm aware, they were all Apple firsts.

I would be very surprised if the 30" wasn't replaced when the new Mac Pros finally emerge, which should mean in the very near future after the 5xxx driver release. Mind you, I was convinced that the ACDs would be replaced when the 2008 and 2009 Mac Pros were both released!

21. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

You are right, never thought about the TV LED's. The next question becomes are they available in a wide enough gamut to be used professionally. The 27 inch LED for the iMac is 72% of the Adobe colorspace I think. The Dell professional monitors are 100%+ colorspace, but they use fluorescent tubes. Back in the day, it seems that Apple cared more about things like this, they were on the cutting edge of monitor design. The only panel I don't think they were first to market with was the 23 inch, because I think HP beat them by a few months using the same LG IPS panel.

22. ahenson macrumors newbie

The Z is an S-IPS and the L is an H-IPS. Also, the Z is DVI-D while the L is DVI-I. It may be meant to replace it, but I do not know. :)

23. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I'm still going to wait it out for the larger LED Cinema Display, rumor was that the 27" inch LED suppose to be released in June and June came and went I stop believing rumor sites along time ago unless Apple makes announcement then I will believe it, Did Apple say their developing a 27" LED nope we got the info off of a rumor site. There might be a updated 30" inch who knows just have to wait out if you can. On Apple site the 30" inch normally ships in 24 hrs but now it takes 5-7 business days and it's been saying that for months now my guess supplies ate running low on the current 30" inch cinema. Maybe the new displays will be out when Mac Pro's are released and rumored ATi 5000 and Nvidia's 480 GTX may have something do with the delay but all I know I've been waiting for 2yrs and if waited that long I can wait some more

24. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

25. eponym macrumors 6502

As far as I know Dell Ultrasharp displays use the same good quality (or did at one time, anyway) LG-made IPS panels as Apple does.

But that doesn't mean they perform exactly the same. Other hardware differences (like supporting VGA) can negatively affect the performance. Check out C.Net's review of the two 30" displays from a couple of years ago.

Saying the Apple ones are overpriced is flat out wrong. The extra $300 between the 24" ACD and 24" Ultrasharp Dell gets you:

LED backlight
    Built-in Webcam + Mic
    Built-in Speakers
    MBP power supply
    Nicer industrial design

^ If you don't need that stuff (or you want direct HDMI), by all means, get a Dell. Hell, I just ordered an Ultrasharp on Monday. But ACDs are still as good a value as a Dell.