I had my Exchange admin remove the password policy for me but..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokiju, Mar 9, 2009.

1. lokiju macrumors 6502

it still doesn't give me the option to disable my pin on my iphone.

How do I push the policy update to my iphone? I've turned it on and off a number of times and have even given it a lot of item in the hopes that it'd see the change and re-enable me to manually control the pin/lock settings on my iphone.

Do I need to have my profile re-setup on my iphone or something?

Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Connect to the original iTunes that the iPhone is set up with to reset your pin.

Your screen / sleep lock has nothing to do with exchange.

3. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

The MS link you provided talks about a password, which the iPhone cannot do, it can only do a 4-digit numerical PIN. With that said, I don't believe enforcing a password would suffice for making the iPhone require a PIN.

Your second link seems to have the solution, jailbreak and manually edit a setting.

However I would suggest leaving the PIN enabled. It's not too terribly secure, from a forensic analysis standpoint, but will deter the casual attacker-type person who finds your device should it be lost. :)

5. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan on leaving it enabled but want to be able to disable it if I want to do so or at least change the lock out time.

This is my personal iphone, not company owned fwiw.

There is no option whatsoever to disable it as it is now and this didn't happen until I started using it with Exchange. I'm fairly confident this is a direct result of that.

It is already jailbroken but from that thread I posted, it seems that most have it go right back to forced pin, guess I'll give it a shot at least and see if it sticks.

6. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Deleting the "/var/Managed Preferences/mobile/com.apple.springboard.plist" file worked like a charm but the instructions I've found all over the place did not work well.

I ended up installing Filezilla and connecting via SSH to my iphones IP and was finally easily able to navigate to the file listed above, which I deleted and right away was able to go into settings and turn off the pin prompt.

I turned the phone off and back on to make sure it'd stay off and it did.

7. haddman macrumors regular

Actually, you can make the iPhone use a longer password, even have it require both letters and numbers. It all depends on your settings on the server.