I had my Iphone 4 replaced by Apple for reception...twice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So if anyone has read any of my posts (which I doubt lol) I had reception woes when touching my phone like most of us.

The problem is only really a problem in low signal areas, like my bedroom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgSGp-ns3c

Of course on day one I was a little pissy about it, but now that I've had some time to understand, it's ok.

At work I can't replicate the problem, outside I really can't either, only in places where I typically had crap reception. But I had already set up an appointment so for peace of mind I wanted to try a new phone. They originally were supposed to over night a phone to me but they screwed that up somehow, and instead sent me to the Apple Store.

Apple clearly (well duh, after SJ commented on it last night) knows about this because they literally asked me to walk around the store and hold all the display phones (something I already did previously)....and since that Apple store has sub par AT&T reception all of the phones lost signal. I could have kept my phone, but for curiosity reasons I wanted to replace it still.

They then replaced my phone, I covered the lower left antenna and the replacement phone did the same thing. The tech wanted to see it happen again lol So he brought out another phone replacement and THAT phone did it to.

So to shorten this blabbing, I accepted the replacement as the home button actually felt a little snappier than the one I brought in. I went outside, had full bars and couldn't replicate the problem.

I REFUSE to believe it's a coating problem. If you look at the antenna it has a shimmer to it in the light, I think that's what they are calling the coating and they are probably confused thinking people with the problem don't have that shimmer effect. That's a total guess though.

So to end my posts here about this nonsense:

1) Phone in good signal area, you can pretty much hold it how you'd like...to an extent.

2) Phone in weak signal area, avoid that lower left seam.

3) Coating my ass

4) Steve Jobs is still an arrogant prick.

Hope this helps, save your time, don't replace your phone and just enjoy it or take it back if you feel it's just not usable for you.

As for me I'm done with all of this and am just going to enjoy this amazing device. Bumper and all. ;)

2. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am in the camp that tends to think this is a problem with ALL the phones. Many people may disagree, but I do believe is is hardware/design issue. I too have this problem, but have noticed that signal strength/area seem affect it quite a bit. Some places I can reproduce the issue quite easily and other times I can not (different area).

I was thinking about going to Apple and get a replacement because some people swear that they do not have this issue and in this case it could be a production issue with some phones. Your post clears things up to me. Seems pretty obvious that this is a widespread issue with most or ALL of the phones. Not sure what I should do. Screen is great and would hate to get another phone with some other problem. Nice that apple let you try several phones.

How was the process? You just pop your orginal SIM card in and test the phone out or did you have to go through activation with each phone in the Apple store?

3. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Process was easy, pop out sim card, put sim card back in, activate phone and done.

ALL PHONES DO THIS. It's all relative to signal. It's the design. Again my opinion but I think I'm right.

I still have a phone coming from Applecare (it was supposed to be here today) that I'm not even going to try, that's how confident I am it will exhibit the same behavior. That one is just being sent directly back.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

There's a joke lurking in there somewhere...

5. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

:eek:

*goes to edit..

*doh..quoted....too late

;)

6. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I agree with the OP, mine only drops in areas where the signal is low. At work it works just fine, just at home have bad reception.

7. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Doesn't seem like people want to believe it though.

Oh well.

:)

8. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

just tried it with mine with the bumper case on and it definitely still dropped.

9. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

The bumper helps in low signal areas by limiting the interference your fingers bridging the antenna causes, but if you cover the corner, especially in low signal areas, your signal will drop.

Bumper helps, it's not a solution. IMO this entire problem really isn't THAT bad. At first I was very upset about it, in reality when you are in a low signal area, your phone is going to suck regardless and you should do your best to not cover the antenna. Just common sense.

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I wish mine was like this. I always have 4-5 bars. Always. Put my hand in the left corner and boom 1 bar or searching for network.

11. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Are you sure it's not location based?

Mine is like that at home, but not out and about where I get good signal.

12. pcorrado macrumors 6502

This is one ofmthe most logical thing I have read regarding this issue. Thank you!

I have to say that general speaking my reception is just as good if not better than my 3GS but I do have the lower left hand corner problem - only in areas where my signal was always very weak and where my call quality was generally lacking before.

I know it sucks that we spent all this money on this phone and that it should work better, but truth is we have always had some sort of reception issue with every phone in certain areas. It hasn't been front page news untill the iPhone but does no one remember the days when you could only talk by a window! I do and I adjusted because in the end the device overall was spectacular. As it stands for me there is one place where I have this and to make calls in that one place I can use my right hand if I have too.

I am not saying the phone isn't flawed - I am not a cellular engineer so I don't really know what is going one - all I am saying is that I never expected to work perfectly everywhere and I am happy with the reality of the phone. Although, I defiantly encourage those who are not happy to let apple know and facilitate change. Complaining on forums won't help - call Apple!

13. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

No prob :)

Although I will say the bumper is a very slick case and I quite like it.

Shouldn't need it, but I like it.

14. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

15. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Definately related to signal in your area! In the city where on my 3G I always had 5 bars I still do, but at home on the outskirts of town where I generally had 3 bars or so and bounced between 3G and edge I get no service, searching or only 1-2 bars tops! So it's got to be a hardware issue that has to do with low signal areas

16. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

anyone want to wager the white one wont have this problem?

17. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it probably won't because by then they would have updated the OS to hopefully deal with low signals better, which is probably what they are going to do in this case

18. oilfighter macrumors regular

I'm in the believe that Apple will secretly fix the problem so they don't have to recall the hundreds of thousands of iphone 4s that are already sold.

19. Ipadq macrumors member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

20. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

lol

Well played. ;)

Only Apple could do that to me.

21. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

There is a very high chance of Apple doing that. Recalls = reputation dent.

22. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

My experience this morning tells me that it's not every new iphone with the reception issue. A co worker and I compared phones. His did not have the same issue with reception like mine does. Same place, I took turns "incorrectly" holding each phone. Mine went to searching within 15 seconds. His stayed at 3 bars.

I didn't think to look at what week his was built on, or anything like that. I will do that on Monday.

23. tritonj macrumors 6502a

and having it come out that you don't do a recall or offer some sort of fix for a known issue is even worse for their rep, just ask how Toyota how they are feeling right now about lagging on doing recalls

24. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

This is the first post that I've seen on MR to state this. I certainly hope it's true. I drop mad calls now compared to my 3gs, and am hoping that the replacement on it's way will fix it.