I had my MacBook Air for 3 years almost now!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thadoggfather, Nov 20, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

And still loving it! This is a running record for me, it's been a while since I've had a mac this long.

Next month my 3 year applecare runs up.

Got the battery replaced and the wall charger. Came in handy!

Great machine. I will use it until I cannot any longer or until a retina Air sways me.

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

Enjoy!

3. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Congrats. That was usually my average term for a Mac.
    Going back to the 80s/90s, my longest used Mac was a Mac IIci, with 5+ years of active use. I still have it!

Powerbooks/Macbooks ranged from 2-4 years. Often overlapping.
    My work PC/laptops got changed every 9-12 months.

4. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Same boat, got a 2012 Air in July 2012 so 2.5 years old, not far off 3 and i have no intention of upgrading it and it runs as quick as the day i got it. Only the 4GB RAM option but its way more than enough. Longest i have ever had a computer without wanting a new one.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

That was a really nice one. I wanted one so bad. I must have been in junior high at the time. Not enough funds to get a $6000 computer as you can imagine.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Getting a thunderbolt dock off eBay for $70 and having one cable for my desktop set up (and now USB 3.0 ... !!!!!) has breathed new life into my machine to still make me want to use it til the proverbial wheels knock off.

7. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Neither had I, I recall paying around $2500 for a used one in '91 and then upgrading it with 3rd party options. According to everymac.com the Iici was US$8800 when it first appeared and was discontinued '93. 4 year product cycle ? How things have changed, eh ? Now you can get a 5K iMac for $2500 new and people bitch about "high prices" :)

That was the era Apple products were priced very much higher than their PC counterparts and even today, the uninformed still talk about the Apple Premium, when you look at a similar equipped say Dell Laptop often costing more than a Macbook.

Part of the longevity of Macs was attributable to the many aftermarket upgrade options, that are sorely lacking these days.

----------

Which one did you get ? Is it working well ? Did it come with a TB cable ? I've been holding out for one hoping that prices would come down, but with Apple's TB cable costing $70 alone, I find it hard to justify spending $300+ on a docking solution.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Did not come with one. Got a cable official off ebay for $20.

They're 'only' $39 for 2.0m though from :apple:, not $70.

I lucked out, mine works perfect and I think it was a refurbished one but came in a retail box and have had zero hiccups. Works great with my 24" 1920x1200 16:10 matte monitor thats DVI>mini display and my two USB 3.0 drives and the time I used it with ethernet.

It's a belkin. Not full 3.0gbps, 1.5gbps I've read but compared to USB 2.0, blazing fast. And for $90 total between cable and dock, a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade from my previous setup if you even want to call it that (overloading my 4-port USB 2.0 hub on my HP monitor)