Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
i only had 5 beers.

weak i know, esp since i weigh 175
That's not really weak Duke! Depending on the alcohol content you could have drunk at least 8 standard drinks. Depending on the time over which it is consumed that's enough to get most people plastered (myself most definitely included).

It also qualifies you as a binge drinker!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Do you know the alcohol %? So I take it you don't normally drink much?

Man you should see my father in law, he drinks like 2 six packs of 16 oz. busch on his days off.

oh its 4.8% from what i remember. and no i dont drink much. usually a beer every 2 weeks or so. hardly ever drink more than one when i go out

good thing about not needing much is that it keeps the bar tab down!

That's not really weak Duke! Depending on the alcohol content you could have drunk at least 8 standard drinks. Depending on the time over which it is consumed that's enough to get most people plastered (myself most definitely included).

It also qualifies you as a binge drinker!

it was over the course of 4 hrs. most i had to drink in god knows when lol

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
the lesson is easy. rehydrate yourself before you go to sleep. drink a couple of bottles of water or a water and a gatorade. hangovers are caused by dehydration

If I've been drinking, this is exactly what I do before I go to bed. I drink a lot of water. I don't take any Advil or Tylenol, just water. It works every time.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Lots of people say they give it up, some of us actually do. I only drink for certain occasions now, waking up in a ditch was about the most i could handle.

Not all booze has to taste like booze, Caesar/Bloody Mary is tasty(as I found out to great excess on new years eve).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I said that 6 or 7 years ago after my first few drinks and never had it again. Unless you're addicted how hard can it be to give up or just cut back enough so you don't feel the hangover?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
lol i'm with you.

i rarely drink anymore and got absolutely hammered in Jamaica at the end of December...as in I couldn't walk or talk straight. it was terrible. A super fun time THAT night, but sleeping underneath the sink in the bathroom (one of those large counters so it wasn't tight at all :) so I wouldn't wake the wife and kids didn't bode so well the next day.

never again.

it's been a few years since the last one and that is it (at least for a long, long time :)

you're right - is it expensive (althought all inclusive at the resort), but if you look at liquor stores, I don't know how people spend that much all the time on booze. it's unreal how much it costs.

whenever the wifey gives me the gears about spending $$ on electronics, I always remind her that I don't smoke nor drink alot so that is a massive amount of savings, but the electronics or camera gear will last a long time :)

<shudders as he remembers drinking those mai tai's in jamaica>

Cheers,
keebler

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
The key is not to drink more than you are comfortable with. If you are starting to feel you have had too much then just switch to soft drinks towards the end of the night. This keeps you hydrated and the alcohol will start to wear off before you get to bed. This strategy always works for me, just don't let anyone try to pressure you into drinking more (not that anyone should).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Is it really smart to mix the medication (advil) with alcohal?
No. Taken with alcohol, Advil (ibuprofen) can increase your risks of stomach bleeding, however, it's still a better option than Tylenol (acetaminophen) which, in conjunction with alcohol, can cause permanent liver damage.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
Hmmm.. I tend to love alcohol.
I've only one hangover and it wasn't that small.
The more you drink in a night the more you start to get too drunk to care what it taste like.
Also, I tend to not be able to stop once I start.
The last time I went crazy I had to stay at my friends house without even calling my parents.

Totally agree with everything you said!....except I've had more than one hangover.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
The best cure for a hangover is kids. Up at 7-8 a.m. regardless of the weekend, and being sick isn't a good enough excuse to keep them from being loud and treating me like a jungle gym/trampoline.

Of course I'm due for a hell of a designated driver stint after doing the math and determining that over the last 5 years my wife has been pregnant or nursing for 39 out of the last 60 months...

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I will never drink it again after last night as its ... expensive

If I had all the money so spent ... OMG. Good luck. :D

... not good tasting

Rebuttal, your Honour!!!

Perhaps you had some crap beer??

Some lagers are easy to acquire a taste for, ales just take a little longer. Like Guinness. ;)

I only had 5 beers.
weak i know, esp since i weigh 175

Not a lot, at all, except you were not used to it.

and they were 16oz glasses

Just 440ml then, not a full "English pint" (20 ozs).

oh its 4.8%

A little stiffer than my Kilkenny, at 4.3%, but still not a "fortified" beer.

I rarely drink anymore, and got absolutely hammered in Jamaica at the end of December...

I would suspect you quaffed some good 151 proof Jamaican rum.

I vagely remember stumbling around the campfire in British Columbia, after a few Bacardi 151's and Pepsi.

Everyone says that, at least once in their life, you will drink again, it's a given, maybe you need to learn your limits :p

Perhaps not.

I agree that the temptation to repeat past habits is strong, expecially in a social atmosphere, but the Mourning(sic) After™ remains with you, longer and longer, as you age.

The voice of experience. :)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I swore off liquor years ago. It punctuated a train of thought that began with, "Who replaced the hot chick I went to bed with last night with a Jocelyn Wildstein's older, uglier sister?":eek::eek:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I swore off liquor years ago. It punctuated a train of thought that began with, "Who replaced the hot chick I went to bed with last night with a Jocelyn Wildstein's older, uglier sister?":eek::eek:

Went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2, huh? :D

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
will never drink it again after last night as its
*expensive
*not good tasting
*got me way tipsy and paid for it this morning

Don't mix your drinks.
Drink water inbetween drinks.

Ah, I remember my 21st. Got so drunk, I left a mural on the wall of the bar's restroom. I should have stayed away from the peppermint schnapz.

In fact, I should have stuck with beer, rather than go for all sorts of bar shots.

The next day was hell though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.