I hate apple for not having an express card slot on 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrlcopy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Title is all... I was one of those "single digit" users that used it. :(

Sorry, I know this post is a waste of space and bandwidth, but wanted to rant.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having it too on the 15 inch. I suppose I won't be able to use an UAD card with it :p

3. nimski62 macrumors regular

Sony did this in 06 with a Vaio VGN 13" I had... it had an express card slot and included one of these bad boys... Problem solved. Apple makes idiotic decisions.

[​IMG]

4. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Well I certainly don't "hate" Apple for it...but I do wish we had it.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I think Apple could careless. Apple knows that people will buy their products regardless, if the individual needs the cardslot then they'll upgrade, which will in turn lead to more money. I personally don't believe they really "care" too much for what their customers suggestions/needs. The specs other companies offer are great compared to Apple's if one is paying a few thousand for the product, but durability doesn't "last". It seems like Apple is really riding their Aluminum Unibody design. Anything, but Windows I guess :S

6. eklkrl macrumors newbie

eklkrl

I'm bummed about that too. There's a great computer in there, but it's locked up and you can't access it, except through USB 2 and Firewire 800. It's not a "Pro" machine without the kind of expandability that ExpressCard allows.

7. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

I'm bummed too, I feel I've lost a bit of future-proofing, especially with the possibility of WiMax or 3G/4G cards. That said, I've had an ExpressCard slot for 3 years and never used it. Not once.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I still use mine, and I'm not upgrading my MBP until something faster than USB2 or Firewire is available.

I don't like the slot mechanically, though. It is too easy to accidentally eject a card when I try to plug in an eSATA cable, and cards are always a bit loose side-to-side. I prefer the PCMCIA type slots with an eject button.

On the next MBP I want:
    -Optional CD drive
    -Option for SSD+hard drive or 2 hard drives
    -Expresscard
    -Lightpeak
    -High res matte screen

If they could fit all that in a 13", along with a better GPU, that would be even better. Make the 13" MBP a true Pro machine, and sell the Macbook to people who don't want to pay whatever it costs to get the computer I described, since 95% of them won't use those features. They could even make the Macbook aluminum, so it's "just as good" as the MBPs, and that would eliminate the MB's awkward position in Apple's lineup.

9. PAC88 macrumors 6502

same. I sent apple some feedback about this a while ago, along with some other complaints. let's hope they take us seriously.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

They wont. Expresscard is neglected by vendors on the OS X side so we get drivers that crash and burn our systems. The high end solutions that are actually worth a damn cost hundreds of dollars.

Granted I too use the expresscard and I don't mind paying a premium, but most of the "consumers" I knew using the macbook "pro" (college kids, non techies) didn't know what an expresscard was. Many thought it was a remote holder.

A freaking remote holder. :(

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Good extra functionality but with all the driver problems with express cards in os x in reality it's an headache. Just add usb 3 and I am happy.

12. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Sony included a SIIG card with their laptop? I doubt that.

14. moonwalk macrumors member

While most have rightly focused on the "pro" uses of the slot, it also future-proofs your machine. I was able to keep my 2003 tibook running (w/ firewire 800 and usb 2) until last year thanks to its trusty cardbus slot.

btw, I'm posting this on my 15" 2.9g 2009 MBP with its 3 g expresscard ...

15. a4209797 macrumors member

16. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

*facepalm*

17. a4209797 macrumors member

yep, it can do that.

18. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

:D

19. moonwalk macrumors member

Expresscard pipes directly into your computer's fast pci bus. For video capture, it allows you to capture into a completely different bus than other peripherals, greatly eliminating the chance of capture problems. 4 g broadband, I've read (somewhere in this forum), will also exceed the speed of usb 2 -- so an expresscard is needed to take advantage of quickly coming 4g.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's inherently impossible since 4G is limited to 100Mb/s, which is less than the technical maximum of USB 2.0

FW800, eSATA, UDMA CF reader, just to name a few.

21. a4209797 macrumors member

FW and eSATA are different interface types, of course USB can't do that. That's like saying "i can't put this square block into this circle", well duh, it inherently won't work. If you really want them to work get an adapter, I found ones during 10 seconds of googleing. Same for UDMA CF reader http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Dual-Slot-Memory-Reader-RW035-001/dp/B0013TRZI2

22. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I can't really fault Apple for dumping the ExpressCard. It just never really caught on and for most people was nothing more then an empty slot in their MacBook. On the other hand I can't say I'm happy with the decision to replace it with an SD card reader either. I'd have been much happier with another FW800 port or even another USB port. As far as I'm concerned they simply went from one external interface I probably never would have used to another external interface I'll probably never use. The SD would have gained some usefulness if they had included an SD port on the iPad or if they throw one into the next gen iPhone ( Oh the ways Steve finds to keep us tied to iTunes).

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's with the "duh"? You explicitly asked what ExpressCard could do over USB, then responded "duh" when alphaod pointed out an example!

24. m85476585 macrumors 65816

USB is slow. You can get 35MB/sec max out of USB, but Expresscard is capable of up to ~250MB/sec. File transfers to my eSATA hard drive are 3-4 times faster on eSATA than USB, and significantly faster than even FW800. You can't get full UDMA speed out of that CF reader, so there's no point.

25. moonwalk macrumors member

Well USB takes a real-world hit in through-put speed, sometimes only 1/3 of the rated speed, depending on other devices on the bus, and mystery mojo. I'd still rather have the overhead protection of expresscard. I guess we'll know how well 4 g dongles act on a usb 2 bus as they're deployed ...

I looked around for a thread on this but no joy. Here's something old at tom's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/174836-32-sata-transfer-rate