I hate Apple...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thrawn, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Thrawn macrumors member

Okay, so not really. But they get on my nerves, sometimes. I was just getting ready to order a 2.2Ghs Refurb MBP when I saw that the prices dropped for Refurbished. I realized that it could only mean one thing, that there was a new MBP. To my surprise, there is also a new macbook out as well. Now, thanks to apple, I'm stuck between getting a refurb MBP 2.2ghs ($1450) or a Macbook 2.4Ghs ($1500). The MPB is $50 cheaper and I love the alluminum casing, but it's slower then the new macbook which has a case that looks like a toy. This is really bothersome to me... Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

-Thrawn

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That performance difference between 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz is negligible.

The graphics card in the MBP is the most important factor.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

MBP no question. Better screen, better battery life, graphics card, bigger hd? maybe.. not sure :)

You COULD save even more money and get a refurb 2.2 macbook....

But here's something -

You were all set to order a refurb 2.2 SR mbp for the original refurb price of 1699.

You COULD get a 2.4 mbp refurb now for 1649! Still saving 50 bucks off your original planned amount to spend AND get the 2.4 WITH more video ram AND graphics card! :)

Best of both worlds! IF there aren't any on the store right now, just give it a few hours and try again. :)

4. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

Heh heh, yeah I'm pretty sure that apple wont have new refurb MBP's for another month or so.. If they do, shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

EDIT: okay, ktbubster, I see what you meant now. I thought you meant 2.4 as in the new MBP's... but you meant the previouse 2.4Ghs MBP. Got it.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

ummm

i think they will continue to have the last revision of the mbp in teh refurb store for a while. Returns and old inventory. I am talking about the 2.4s from the last revision (same as the 2.2s) i'm sure those will keep popping up for a while, maybe you are thinking i meant the new new 2.4s but I meant the last.... I am sure there will be plenty in the refurb store for a while. THey can't very well sell their last revisions as new anymore.

Edit: ok. good . you got it. SO yeah.. 1649 ... 50 less then intended and everyone wins. :)

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think that it depends on what you will use the MBP for.

Does having a dedicated graphics card mean something to you?

From what you said, you would prefer the MBP over the MB in all areas, except speed. However, as others have said, this will not really be an issue due to the other advantages the MBP has.

I think the decision is clear - go with the MBP.

7. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks davidjearly. I do Video Editing along with some Graphic Design, if that makes any difference... I'm now leaning towards getting the MBP. Thanks again.

8. brguitarist macrumors member

title

you should be careful when posting titles like that at macrumors :eek:

9. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

my 2 cents

I have a MB, my GF a MBP. As a gift, she had no input what she would get. Honestly, she loves the idea of the small size, non-Al case. If e-mail and surfing are your thing, this is it. We both like the plastic case as it has a warmer feel and the screen isn't lacking for what we need. That said, when I do go back to her computer, which is usually to change music, I sometimes look at the screen and go: WOW. If you really do, do stuff that that matters for screen size/3D, you should get a MBP. Between work, back office and real office, I have three computers. This is my toy. Don't discount word toy. I take my toys seriously and this one rocks. I also did serious consideration about processing power, etc. MB is a decent deal.

Would also think about what difference the video is going to do you. 3D video is a special animal that most people don't understand what buying into. Not sure you gain that much with the pro by going there if you are doing video editing. My understanding is that the majority of what you get has to do with pipelines for 3D graphics.

Anyone else like the plastic case better????

10. lowbuzz macrumors member

The 13.3" "widescreen" is actually smaller than the old 12" iBook screen - at least in height.

You're better off with the 15.4" - it's like a 14" ibook I guess, just wider. And the 17" is close to the old 15", only wider.

But you can watch your DVDs in widescreen now - and Adobe stuck a non-movable palette thing into CS3 to make use of the extra space. So all is well.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get the MBP. ;)

What's with the comparisons? The 13.3" widescreen isn't smaller than the 12" iBook or PB screen. Yes, it's smaller in height, but it's longer. Actually, I find widescreen to be an advantage. It feels a bit more comfortable having 2 windows beside each other (ie: LaTeX document + PDF), even if the windows overlap a bit.

Also, the MB is easier to use on airplanes because its shorter. You can tilt your LCD further back before hitting the seat in front. I had trouble on planes with the 12" PB, and can't even imagine having a 15" MBP or PB on an airplane. I've never used a laptop larger than 13.3"...

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If your dilemma is between performance and looks, I would lean towards performance. Design and looks can grow on you, performance can't.

13. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I feel your pain. I have the same decision to make.

But you must love Apple. Dissent is not permitted.

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964