I hate bloated websites!! that require processor power = battery drain!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a1dipship, Jul 20, 2007.

1. a1dipship macrumors regular

is anyone else pee'd off with the growing number of websites with whizz-bang graphical advertisments (java?!)

ARRRGHHHH! :mad:

dont they realise that im trying to save my battery life!!!!

i want to be able to read an article without the surrounding advertisments zapping all my battery by the time i finished!!!

:eek:

anyone have a solution besides pdf'ing the page and reading it later... which is what im doing currently

im using safari 2 at the moment - my preferred browser

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Safariblock.... a few quick wildcards should get rid of the most offensive flash ads.

If you're seeing sites with actual Java applets in them then... I dunno what to tell you. You can block those too, but you're visiting weird sites. :eek:

4. a1dipship thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. ill check out safari block now.

no weird web pages eg, gaurdian newspaper, tuaw etc etc all legit mainstream stuff

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

TUAW cleared up just nicely once I killed Flash. =3

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In that case, it should be flash. You can play around, and either delete specific ads that you don't want, or else go all out... for instance, if you look at the picture,

[​IMG]

You'll be amazed at how many ads will get blocked by the four to which I pointed arrows (the other four are more specific to sites to which I go).

7. a1dipship thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. i added the four you recommended.

tuaw has cleared up but ive only been using it for 5 mins (along with safari 3) so we'll see how it goes.

but can you tell me how i find out the adverts address so i can them to the filter.

eg
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/open2007/story/0,,2131595,00.html
    http://home.skysports.com/football/

is a site i might go to and click one of the stories - then i get some little flash adverts startup in the middle of the article. can you tell me how to block them using that page as an example.

i might work it out in the mean time but your help would be appreciated.

thanks.

8. a1dipship thread starter macrumors regular

kinda worked it out with right click flash!! :)

but any advice would still be good

9. Fairly macrumors regular

Yep. Keep all that stuff - including cookies - turned off by default.

10. Fairly macrumors regular

The first one connects three times with image.guardian.co.uk and once with hits.gureport.co.uk if that's what you mean. It could be more if you have JavaScript and junk like that turned on.

The 2nd one connects with ads.guardian.co.uk.

The 3rd is by far the meanest. If you're draining resources it would be this sucker. It connects with 207.138.233.39 or 207.138.233.40 on one thread, 80.15.236.192, adserver2.adtech.de on three threads, peach.bskyb.com, something weird called no-dns-yet.demon.co.uk, and ip-87-86-92-93.easynet.co.uk (which might be only because the site's cycling ads so there could be others).

It also connects with a195.22.198-249.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com but I wouldn't filter this out as this is likely a legitimate content distributor.