I hate conventional keyboards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jji7skyline, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

You know the ones where the keys are around 1cm high? I hate them. I like the modern apple keyboards better. The one with the shallow keys :)

What do you think?

2. JonBook Pro macrumors member

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I agree. Old keyboards are very mushy feeling now.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love my Apple Keyboards as well as my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard for my PC. Both have laptop like keystrokes (short throw) which I love. They are much much better than old style keyboards for sure..

5. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Wash them (as long as you have a spare). I threw my wired keyboard in the dishwasher and let her rip. It took 4 days to dry out, but it worked again and looked like new. I wouldn't try it with the bluetooth ones though :).

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's insane! I can't believe it works!

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I agree. Never going back to non-chiclet keys. And Apple certainly isn't either, unless they do a 180 and say bigger laptops are better!

8. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

It didn't just work, it worked TWICE. I did it with my iMac keyboard and then with my Mac Pro's keyboard. Hot wash and detergent.

Didn't try it with the Macbook Pro, though :D.

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Using a dishwasher, without the dishwasher detergent, was the accepted method of cleaning the original IBM XT and AT keyboards. Dishwasher detergent was not used as it is abrasive, and slightly alkaline. Also, a drying period of several days was required, but it did a geat job.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I agree that the shallow key chiclet keyboards are better than the older style.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I hate having to use the old keyboards at college

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The PowerBook G4 keyboard is still the best in my opinion. The chic-let keys are okay but they don't have the right feel for me.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I really like the short-throw keyboards like the current Apple models (and really like the ultra-short-throw of my i7 MacBook Air).

But I've also got an old, clicky ADB Apple Extended Keyboard II. And despite having a traditional, tall key height, it's got that spring loaded snap & click that is simply amazing (though also really loud).

I never use it any more, but can't bear to part with it. A few years ago I also bought one of the modern USB-based copies (Matias Tactile Pro). I also quite like it but find it too steep/tall to use comfortably.

Right now, believe it or not, my favorite is my new backlit MacBook Air. The key throw is shorter than even the current wireless/wired Apple slim keyboards.

14. unixperience macrumors regular

I love the apple keyboard, or really any short throw keyboards, big "old fashioned" keyboards are really hard to type on now and very uncomfortable.

As for cleaning, it's REALLY EASY just use a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a nice cloth, cleans the keyboard with very minimal work(even stubborn stains), and of course, since its alcohol, it tried extremely fast, so you don't even have to fear using "too much"." and moreover it is a disinfectant! so you get a sanitized keyboard as well! and one more thing, it gets rid of oils very easily, so it's really a great all around cleaner, certainly better than a dishwasher :p lol no offense

15. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I like the keyboards with the wrist padding attached to them.. And if they're slightly curved just a little to match the contours of your arms...

Still kinda iffy on getting an Apple Keyboard (wireless or not). As much as I like how they look, it doesn't seem too comfortable for typing papers and such. Am I wrong?

16. krburrell macrumors regular

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Keyboards are obviously very personal. I know people - excellent touch-typists - who don't like the Apple keyboards. I'm pretty fast, but I don't use all my fingers like a true typist, though I can type for hours on the Apple keyboards without fatigue. Though I also like typing on the iPad, so I'm probably a poor example of a true keyboardist. My secretary uses a Microsoft split contoured keyboard that she loves.

18. ryNze macrumors newbie

I haven't really used the apple wireless keyboard but I do use a mechanical keyboard. It is much better than conventional keyboards.
    I'm wondering if I should switch over and try the apple keyboard...

19. jji7skyline thread starter macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Probably the long-throw keyboards originated from the old typewriters :p

20. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't like the new shallow ones that much. Actually love mechanical keyboards which fall into the OPS category of 1cm high keys.

21. flynz4 macrumors 68040

No offense... but I think you are confused about what a "chiclet" keyboard is. The Apple keyboard is infinitely better than a chiclet keyboard. Chicklet keyboards are like those used on the IBM PC jr. Probably one of the worst products of all times. Here is a reference to chiclet keyboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiclet_keyboard

/Jim

22. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I really like the MBP keyboards, but I wish they were silver, not black. It would look much better, I think.

23. toss002 macrumors regular

24. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

My fingers tend to cramp pretty quickly after using a non-Apple keyboard.

25. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi