I hate craiglist

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Sep 14, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Its overrun by spammers

If I try and buy something- 9/10 times its a effing spammer

If I list something- 9.5/10 times its a spammer

Now Im getting all these type of responses to my listings

Drives me effing insane. Usually type a reply full of hate back at them to ease my mind as these people are trying to "rob" me

why cant I just have a wholefree good expereince when dealing on craigslist?

DO these spammers really think I am going to fall for them? seriously?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've never had a problem like that on Craigslist.

3. ddiogyn macrumors member

Have had 1 timewaster among 12 bargain purchases. Short of luck?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I loved CL in CA but CL here seems to be full of flakes. I mean in terms of buying something. When looking for a cheapish dresser to toss into a closet I answered 8 ads. I received 1 response. All ads were posted in the last 7 days and to date I've had just that 1 response. The same goes for a lens I was looking for. I must have answered at least 3-4 ads and received one response.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The worse problem with craigslist is people are cheap ********s. "gee... I dunno.... I saw another listing the same thing for $5 less" Dude, really? It's a $15 whatever. You're gonna waste my damn time over $5? gtfo. Or when I was selling my car for $2500, I get e-mails "I'll offer you $1000". What? You haven't even SEEN the car and yet you offer me less than HALF of what I was asking? After sending several annoyed replies, I just started deleting messages/

6. ethical macrumors 68000

I've only ever bought two things on craigslist, and both times it all went fine. Granted however what I bought weren't really items you'd expect a spammer to use to entice you :p a mini fridge and a dvd rack

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's Craigslist which means it's the epitome of "buyer/seller beware". You just have to keep that in mind. But, if you ignore the junk and focus on the real people then you can actually find some satisfaction in doing business on Craigslist. It takes patience and persistence.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I know

A person litterally cussed me out on CL as I was selling my PS3 with 10 games for 350. He insulted me saying I should only get 200 for all of it as it was used and he said he wanted to come punch me in the face....uh WTF

Then I getpeople who want to trade snakes and stuff when I EXPLICITLY say cash only

Can people not read?

Im getting dapm responses on a bed fram I am trying to sell. Whats up with that?

9. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I lol'd.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just ignore the spam / scam. There are plenty of real people.

Depends on what you post.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Every time I tried to sell on craiglist, the person backs out last minute. Thought I had an iPod sold, but the person backed out last minute. I had agreed with someone to sell an iMac, went, they never showed.

Ebay might be a hassle, but I get my things sold

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

A warning to all:

I dealt on Craiglist to sell my iMac. After settling on a $1400 offer we arranged the transaction through FedEx. Using his account number he set up a COD shipment (I didn't have a FedEx account, otherwise I would have used my own), I verified with FedEx customer service that all was well, and I shipped the iMac out. I never received payment. FedEx says they're not liable and quoted Craigslist's slogan "Buyer/Seller Beware". :rolleyes:

Turns out it's a common scam but FedEx still doesn't know how they're doing it. They're altering tracking numbers and bar codes somehow to omit the COD information AFTER the package has been shipped. When the courier delivers the package, there's no instructions on collecting payment. FedEx security is working my case and others and has informed me that they have recovered stolen property; too bad it hasn't been my iMac yet. These guys are operating out of the Boston area.

Moral: DO NOT send anything with a tracking label somebody provides for you, even if FedEx confirms it's good.

13. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I think a general rule of thumb would be to talk on the phone before buying/selling anything. Only deal in cash, and in person. A lot of the people on craigslist may be illegitimate, but if you sort through it you will find great deals.

Always always always offer low and work your way up to what you really are able to pay. I am sitting in front of a 2009 Quad Mac Pro that I got for $1,500 (not stolen) which is a perfect example of the power of Craigslist.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's a textbook scam, and to be honest, you should've refused any offer that wasn't local cash only. That's the entire point of Craigslist. I hope you get your stuff back, but hopefully it will serve as a lesson in the future.

15. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just hit delete on the bogus (spam, scam) responses because Craigslist has been a great place for me to sell stuff. I just sold my 2.5 yr. old MBP 17 for $1200 to someone who responded within an hour me posting the ad. He gave me cash for it the following day. Also got rid of my free iPod touch and my old iPhone 1st gen. within a day of posting ads.

16. Chimpy macrumors 6502

I got an awesome loft bed for my son for $20. Take that, Ikea! :)

17. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I hate craigslist too. It's where I found out my ex was a prostitute =/

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Ouch!

19. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sounds like a trip to the doctor in in order. :(

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You got for free what other people have to pay for, why are you complaining? :D

21. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I'm a nurse, so I get immunization and blood tests regularly anyway, but yeah.

Not the point, it's the lying to and going behind the back thing that matters. Not a healthy relationship.
    :(