I hate dreamweaver but love coda help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by deriko100, Oct 28, 2008.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

I recently tryed dreamweaver didnt like it at all, i dont know why people liked it so much, did i have to tweak some settings? I tried coda it was amazing, simple, it displayed web page previews, and auto corrected me, it also added code by itself like if i typed in <title> it would type </title> automatically, so is there anything wrong with my dream weaver settings because everybody enjoys it.

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If you love Coda so much and are happy with it what's the problem? I've started using TextMate instead of Dreamweaver and have been perfectly happy with that. Whilst I'm sure I could get Dreamweaver to do some of the things that make TextMate appealing to me, I don't see the point in spending that time to get the software how I want it when there's something that already suits me and fulfills my needs.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What version of DreamWeaver are you using? I believe at least the latest version does code completion.

4. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

the cs4 beta

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Here's some stuff I found on the topics you mentioned.

From Adobe's site:
    • Previewing: Design your web pages under real-world browser conditions with the new Live View in Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS4 — while still retaining direct access to the code. Changes to the code are instantly reflected in the rendered display.
    • Code Completion: The code hints feature helps you insert and edit code quickly and without mistakes. As you type characters in Code view, you see a list of candidates that automatically complete your entry. For example, when you type the first characters of a tag, attribute, or CSS property name, you see a list of options beginning with those characters.
    • Code Validation: Dreamweaver includes its own customizable validators. The Check Target Browsers menu item (File > Check Target Browsers) references a series of Document Type Descriptions matching various current browser behaviors. These Browser Profiles can be edited as text so that Dreamweaver can validate documents to a variety of HTML definitions.
    I don't use Dreamweaver myself, but everyone has their own coding preferences. If you find Coda better for the way you're coding, then stick with Coda. It's all about being happy and productive.

6. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

exactly! Many professionals writing standards-based HTML/CSS gave up on Dreamweaver years ago. Coda is a great tool, and I have used it to teach web design many times, and use it on occasion.

I have never found dreamweaver's implementation of CSS styling to be that integrated. I have not used the CS4 version of dreamweaver yet, but I was asked to consult with the dreamweaver team while they were in development and was given the impression that the methods or process of specifying styles would not be radically changed.

I believe that *someday* some small software developer will introduce a radically new conception of how styles could be specified and applied... but I am still waiting!

7. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Me like Coda, Coda good.

LOL, I sound like a 5 years old with that statement :p

9. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

I tend to have a lot of connection issues with Dreamweaver. I don't know if it's a setting that I'm not checking or what, but when i'm working on my remote server, and I choose to open a file, or save one, sometimes it just takes forever to save the files, then it starts trying to open other files that are associated with that file etc. It's just been a pain in the bunz lately (ever since they came out with the CS series). I just bought CS4 and it's on its way to me, so as soon as I get it, I'll test it out and respond with my findings. I usually edit locally, and then upload to the live server when I'm done, that works out fine, but there are occasions when I want to edit directly on the server, and that's when I get issues.

10. memco macrumors 6502

I usually don't recommend DreamWeaver to people for the fact it isn't really a helpful web development tool. Coda is very nice, and so is Textmate. As others have said, use what works for you.

11. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks reply when you get it.

12. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I actually had the same problem with Coda, particularly with MediaTemple. I *just* found a post with a fix, but for that reason I was rarely able to use Coda and wound up using deamweaver instead. Despite my dislike of it, Dreamweaver has always been rock-solid when it comes to its FTP.

I did finally get my hands on the new dreamweaver and can confirm that there is little change in the CSS implementation.

13. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Dreamweaver is WAY too bloated for me, Coda is light and the 'Clips' feature is awesome. AWESOME. Let me repeat that. Figure out Clips and use them cause they're AWESOME. They've improved my coding speed quite a bit. Immensely if I may. Also, if you have a problem or suggestion, shoot off an email and a few days later one of the Panic Coda development team will reply to you, personally. The FTP is built off of Transmit so it's rock solid as well. I've discovered editing local and remote files is not a problem at all, and I'm on a 1.5 DSL line so it's nothing fast at all. You also get a neat icon in each files' tab letting you know if it's local (computer) or remote (globe).

For CSS I highly recommend CSS Edit; it's fantastic. Both of these apps (Code and CSS Edit) won Apple Developer awards and are very light on RAM usage, and cheap (CSS Edit - $35, Coda - $99). Both work perfectly with MAMP... it's my own little coding heaven!

14. davidwes macrumors 6502

I currently use coda as my main tool. Nothing to worry about that you like it better. It is better!

15. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

For CSS Edit, do you have to learn CSS or will this do it for you like color codes, because I know some html but dont wanna learn CSS since its so big.

16. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I never liked Dreamweaver myself, which is why I have always stuck to Adobe GoLive for WYSIWYG. However, now I mainly use Coda. :D