i hate even asking this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xtn, Mar 12, 2008.

1. xtn macrumors regular

ever since iPhoto got its new update, i've been unable to locate my iPhoto library, and its a pain for me to drag all the pictures to my desktop every time i want to be able to find the file to send in an e-mail or something. can someone please tell me where the files are located? my file search renders nothings. its as if they don't actually exist...

2. Terwal macrumors regular

Interesting question. I was also suprised to find an iPhoto library in my Finder, but not the files for the pictures themselves.

Could it be that iPhoto and iTunes work actually very differently: with iTunes you can access your files through iTunes or through the Finder directly, but that with iPhoto you have to go through iPhoto for everything ?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

In your Pictures folder, there should be a single file called iPhoto Library (or something to that effect). Right-click on it and you should have the option to Show Package Contents.

Having said that, iPhoto's not designed for people to be rooting manually through the files. It's a pain in the butt to find your photos that way, and you always run the risk of screwing something up (if you accidentally move a file instead of copying it, etc).

If you want to email pictures, open iPhoto, highlight the pictures you want, then click the email button. It'll even give you the option to resize them.

If you want to upload pictures using the web browser, the browser (at the bottom left) should have a Media selection area that lets you easily find music, photos and movies on your Mac.

Worse comes to worse, select the pictures and iPhoto and drag them to your desktop, do whatever, and then delete the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

thanks aristobrat! showing package contents was exactly what i was looking for!

5. Terwal macrumors regular

6. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I believe going into the package and deleting a photo from there is the only way to delete a picture permanently from iPhoto. I've been switching my photos from my old Mac to a new Macbook and, surprise surprise, pictures that I had deleted years ago showed right back up as "originals". Then when I synced my photos with my iPod, photos that don't show up on iPhoto showed up on my iPod. Since I've got some "adult" pictures of an ex-girlfriend and myself on there and I thought they were gone. I'd really like to permanently delete them before current girlfriend stumbles upon them or I lose my iPod and some stranger is perusing them.

I haven't done the process of going through the package to delete stuff yet, so needless to say, I haven't activated Time Machine yet. Once that thing starts, I think you are pretty much done as far as being able delete incriminating things from your computer.

7. jerry1 macrumors member

Yo TallMan...

Don't sweat getting rid of those old pics. Email them to me and I'll destroy them for you! :D

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Just because you CAN access the photos in the finder using the tip above, does not mean you should. Doing anything to your photos in the library in finder is inviting disaster and chaos! Apple changed to the Package form for this folder so that users would stop corrupting their iPhoto files. Do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the iPhoto app itself. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder. Modifying the library in finder will (not might, WILL) corrupt your photos or at the least make them unusable (or gone).

Use the email function from within the iPhoto app to email. Or drag the photo to the desktop or use the export function to the desktop (which will allow you to choose what size you want to send), and go from there. In mail app, there is also a "media" option, you can use that. Do the same if you want to upload to flickr or myspace or the like. A side benefit is that you will be using the most current version of your photo, and don't have to dig into "originals" or "modified".

To get rid of photos, use the trash in iPhoto, not the system trash. Once emptied, the photos should be gone. There is also a keystroke way -- I think it's Option>delete (not at the mac now, so can't be sure) that will permanently delete a photo. Use that rather than going into the finder.

Once again, STAY OUT OF THE FINDER! You and your photos will be much happier!