I hate FedEx -.-

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kelly™, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Kelly™ macrumors regular

I have got to have the worst luck in the planet.
    I have been watching a shipment from apple containing a new MBP since the 4th glaring at the fact that they wanted 6 days to deliver the package.

As of last night the package shows up in Denver, CO and I think to myself, nah, it'll be Tuesday before they move it to my local facility to deliver on Wednesday as the predicted delivery date/time says.
    However this morning I get in to my office and see that FedEx has emailed me to let me know it is on a truck for delivery!

I immediately drove home, however was cut short by the fact that a local PD unit decided that I needed to be pulled over because my plates were too dirty. (we had tons of snow and slush over the last week)
    I sat there for 18 minutes waiting on him to give me a damn verbal warning and set me on my way.

I get home at 9:09am to see a freaking door tag from FedEx on my front door.
    I grumble, take it inside and look at my FedEx page. The thing still says it should be delivered on the 9th and in the detail area shows I missed the package by all of 9 minutes. That's right delivered at 9:00am with an exception because no one could sign for it.
    That my friends, is ridiculous.

I call up FedEx because the slip says to come to the local office (1 hour away) after 7pm, however lower on the slip it says they close at 7pm.
    So I call the 800 number to clarify, and get told to be there around 5pm-6:30pm as they do close at 7. A severely misleading slip I may say.

So I ask why the heck it said it would be delivered on Wednesday and I get told it was because the package traveled over the weekend which doesn't normally happen past Saturday night.

Alright, im fine, ill just go pick it up at 5:15ish.
    I call back and ask for them to hold the package and get told that they cannot release it to me unless it is delivered to the address apple specified. I am a little ticked off at this person and hang up, call again and get the same response.
    I tell the man that I cannot be here tomorrow because of an important meeting at work at 8:00am on Tuesday and he replies and I quote "Well then, I guess it will have to be delivered on Wednesday and the tracking page wasn't wrong after all."
    I don't think I ever wished I could reach through a phone and strangle someone before now.

I ask to speak to the supervisor and get what sounds to be a completely brain fried cocky teenager who only works there because he couldn't find anything better to do who continues to tell me that I cannot have the package released to me at the local office.
    Finally I just hang up and sotp calling them, I use google to find the number for the Arvada office and call them directly.

I got a very nice young woman on the phone who proceeded to tell me she will ask the driver herself to remove the package from the truck and bring it up front for pick-up tonight.
    I thank her and hang up the phone.

I cannot believe FedEx could actually have a policy against giving you the package at the local office when shipped by Apple! I would have passed this off as BS by one FedEx rep but I got it from two and a "supervisor".

Does this seem normal for fedex to pull or do I just have the worst luck in the world?

FedEx Tracking Page

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

that really sucks...man i hate them too

they get like 50 bucks/computer

cant they do anything right

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't like fedex much either. simply because i hate some of their 'policies' and their tracking is horrible. UPS is much better in that regard imo. of course some people hate UPS. depends on your experiences i guess.

i'm glad that you found someone who was helpful at least though. kudos for that.

4. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Why didn't you just have it delivered to your place of work? :confused:

They'll try and deliver it again tomorrow. Just be home.

5. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

I flat-out just didn't think about it when I ordered the thing, having it delivered to my business.
    As for being home tomorrow, can't, meeting starting at 8:00am.

I'll just pick it up tonight.
    -sigh-

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sorry to hear about that. Why didn't you just mail it to work?

I thought that if you get the sticker, and you call back fast enough, they will call the driver to re-deliver it at the address?

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

All delivery companies have issues - it's impossible to get everything right on every one of millions of packages. I think in general, most do a pretty good job.

That being said, FedEx is the only company that made we wait 4 days for a package (from 12/31 to 1/3) because the driver decided to go home early for New Years and didn't bother to drop off my package.

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

This won't help in any way, shape, or form but I have never had a problem with FedEx. It's always been UPS that has been a PITA. Tracking on FedEx is easier because it's "real-time" whereas UPS updates every evening.

I will say that whenever FedEx has left a slip on my door for something not delivered, I've never called the 1-800 number but always the local facility. But, usually they will try to deliver it again before the evening shift is over.

I don't know, everyone's experience is different. I've had people tell me DHL is good but I don't think I could trust them one bit.

edit: Doesn't Apple have a form you can sign to deliver the package without being there? I ordered some accessories for my MacBook and was able to print and sign the form and leave it on my door. Came home and the package was there behind a flower pot. Try looking at your order page on Apple's website.

9. ls10flpanyc macrumors newbie

Yeah, I hate Fedex when it comes to these situations.

I am currently waiting for my MB to be delivered today. I was hoping it would be here this morning so I could go about my business, but it has yet to be delivered. Their website is telling me it should be delivered by 4:30pm. That wastes my whole day essentially! So I am basically a prisoner to Fedex until they deliver my computer today...

Tracking number
    Ship date
    Jan 3, 2008
    Estimated delivery
    Jan 7, 2008 by 4:30 PM
    Destination
    NAPLES, FL
    Service type
    FedEx 2Day Service
    Weight
    9.0 lbs.
    Status
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Date/Time

Activity

Details

Jan 7, 2008 8:10 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

NAPLES, FL

10. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but I have issues leaving a $1,125.00USD on my porch where it could be walked away with by any of the damn neighborhood kids and it be my problem not the shipping anymore.

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If you weren't there to sign for it - you expected them to leave $1000.00 + just sitting on your doorstep, and *hope* nothing happens to it??? And if something did - it'd be their fault, and you'd want every penny back.

Really, try to think about this from their side.

I also echo having it delivered at work, if time is that sensitive of an issue.

Finally - if you don't want to deal with that cocky teen - just use the automated menu, put in your tracking # via voice or dial pad - and then say "Hold For Pickup" - and that's it. Bring a valid ID with you when going to retrieve it.

No, I don't work for Fedex, UPS, Bax Global, DHL, Overnight Express, Instant Courier, USPS or otherwise. I've just had a lot of prior experience dealing with them. ;)

12. sportsnut macrumors regular

So FedEx gets your hate because You didn't think, I'll leave and let others bash their least favorite delivery company.

13. schreck macrumors regular

Whatever happened to allowing FedEx to just leave the package at your home by signing the optional sheet and placing it on your front door? When I got my most recent Apple computer in May of 2007 I could do it and again when I got my display in November. There was a link on my order status at Apple.com that sent me to the sheet to print off and tape on the door.

If you're not okay with doing that, then there's not a lot you can do aside from being home.

14. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So you are in all honesty saying that you're totally fine with leaving a 2000$ parcel at your doorstep? :rolleyes:

15. BowZinger macrumors member

fedex does suck, I ordered my Macbook when they first came out and it took them forever to deliver it! For some reason fedex lost the U.S customs slip and it got tied up in alaska for the longest of time! Finally they fedex lady came to my door with another package and I told her about what the internet tracking said and she got on the phone with her supervisor and eded up getting it to be overnighted from alaska and it got here the next day! I hate fedex but I like that lady a lot for helping me out!

16. porg1969 macrumors newbie

First, a police officer is only allowed to have a person "pulled" over for a certain amount of time, i believe in CO it is 11 mins......i know this because my father was a cop and my brother is a sheriff....
    Secondly, Fedex sucks...they are the worse, i have no idea why Apple uses them.....they're better off using the...Pony express!!!!!!

17. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Nice to know XD

18. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I am. I think you folks that are scared some "neighborhood kid" is going to walk off with a box sitting on your doorstep are worried about the wrong things. Neighborhood kids have other trouble to cause. The vast majority of them could care less about a box sitting on someone's doorstep.

And anyone that hates FedEx has a severe issue. They're the best in the business, bar none. UPS is by far the worst of the bunch. I wouldn't trust UPS to safely ship a bag of sand, let alone a computer.

jas (happy Apple uses FedEx)

19. MurphyM macrumors 6502

The good news: You're going to have a brand new MBP. That's something.

20. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

its the opposite for me. i can't stand UPS. I trust Fedex with everything. i never have a package late, or damaged.

And every carrier has a policy with items that cost so much. I wouldn't want them leaving my brand new mac, or anything of equal value on my front door. And i wouldn't be suprised if apple products have special instructions for shipping. Apple is very popular right now. I hear about somebody stealing a ipod everyday. Don't hear much about a zune being stolen do you? :p

If i want something bad enough i have it sent to work. But this can be a bad thing since you have it sitting in front of you all day and can't do anything with it lol.

Good luck, the wait is the worst part. :eek:

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You forgot about the USPS. Now they are straight up AWEFUL when shipping packages.

22. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

23. sqwirl macrumors newbie

This thread has me thinking. My MB is supposed to be delivered on wednesday. I'm going to leave the signed authorization there but leave instructions to place it inside my sunporch on the back of my house. I'm not terribly worried about the neighborhood cause nothing has ever walked off before and I have had some $1000 deliveries just left at the door cause they were sent without signature authorization. But I'd rather not take my chances. As for getting it shipped to work. I work for a large hospital and they usually don't like non work related deliveries, plus the shipping department has a bad habit of losing stuff for a week or so at a time.

UPS about a month ago left $600+ of tires sitting on my porch in plain view right at the top of the steps. That kind of irked me. At least fedex ground usually doesn't deliver here until after 5pm anyways. I remember when I got my original ibook. The tracking page said "Out for delivery" well at 5pm I got pissed cause I was there all day and nothing. I called fedex and they were very helpful. They called the driver and he said he was still making his rounds and he would definately make it to me. Well about 20 after 8 he finally shows up and I couldn't be happier. He said that they deliver up until 9pm. I don't know if thats just my local driver or what but when my suspension setup came fedex ground last month, he got there at like 7pm.

24. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense to me. Most places like that are warehouses with no customer area.