I hate Finder...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Woien, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Woien macrumors newbie

Two things good about Microsoft is Remote Desktop an Explorer.
    I really hate Mac finder but love evrything else.

Is there any subtitution for finder like MS explorer ?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Actually try getting used to it. Give it a month or two. There is no alternative.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

You can customise finder a fair bit. You might find things you want, such as replacing picture icons with a thumbnail of the actual image or showing the path of a folder are actually available in finder, but not activated

4. Molnies macrumors member

I personally can't stand the Explorer but I really like Finder, it's just preferences.

So, what exactly do you like with Explorer and dislike with Finder? It not easy to help you find a solution if we don't know the actual problem.

5. momo.786 macrumors member

I'm with u on this one...Finder does kinda suck. Switched to Mac about a year ago, and still get frustrated by Finder. Explorer is way better! My 2 cents...

1. Why cant we cut and paste files in Finder as we can in Explorer? Dragging files to different folders does work, but cut and paste works better.
    2. In the column view, is there any way to get Finder to "remember" the width of the columns? It is irritating to resize the column width every time. The default column width cuts off most of the filename.
    3. It is possible to enable some kind of "auto-arrange" so that files stay together, instead of being scattered all over the Finder window?

Oh...and what exactly does "Clean up" do? Its seems to "refresh" but doesnt always work too well. Tried searching on what this is supposed to do, but no joy:rolleyes:

I think Explorer just organises files better...:cool:

6. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

@momo.786

1. Because cutting and pasting means that if you cut a file and forget to paste it, you would lose it.
    2. I'm not sure.
    3. Right click > Arrange By

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer Finder for the most part.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Check out Pathfinder. It's a substitute for finder that seems pretty popular. The new version 5 is getting some good reviews.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Apparently if the file is not pasted it stays where it was.

9. ruku macrumors member

1. hehe. no you don't. doeseth thou knowest what thoust is talking about. i thinks not.

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Ah. My bad.

'Sup, Shakespeare.

11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

True, It only gets deleted when you use paste, if you forget to paste it stays where it was originally

For most things finder is ok, but i agree with the OP explorer is better

Unless I am missing something totally obvious, if i do a search for all pictures or all movies, how do i get it to display the size without doing a get info on each individual file (ie, Name, Kind, Last Opened & Size as headings)

12. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Well if you had to move a file, drag the destination folder to the left hand locations bar, so it shows on all your finder windows. Then navigate to the file, and drag it to the shortcut on your location bar.

Rather than complaining, use some intuition.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Finder
    Explorer (XP)
    Explorer (98)
    Explorer (ME)
    Explorer (3.1 :rolleyes:)
    Explorer (Vista/7)

In order of usability... XP Explorer was so well laid out, then they buggered everything up with Vista, I really don't understand why they did that...

Anyway, OP, there's a few massive addons to Finder that are pretty much alternatives, as they're so different, a quick google search might help you.

14. momo.786 macrumors member

I know this...but I have to do this regularly to get the icons displayed properly using the icon view. If I move a file to a folder, and Finder places it away from the other icons, i have to again go "arrange by" to move the file with the rest of the other icons. (picture having all the files grouped together, and then about 1 or 2 blank rows, and below this, in some random place, the file i moved to the folder). Finder sometimes doesnt automatically put a file with the rest of the icons.

Will have a look at pathfinder...thanks!

Still no ideas on the "Right Click > Clean Up" in Finder??:confused:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it did essentially the same thing as the analogous Windows feature -- if auto arrange of the icons in the current view (desktop or folder) is not enabled, then clean up moves all icons to their nearest unoccupied position on the invisible grid -- so that icons are not all one on top of the other, etc. (And, like in Windows, if the icons are set to automatically arrange, the clean up item does nothing.)

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Before Clean Up:

Picture 1.png

After Clean Up:

Picture 2.png

If your icons are already perfectly place on the grid then Clean Up won't do anything. I usually set all my Finders to snap to grid from the beginning, so this never becomes a problem for me. I hate misaligned icons.

Picture 3.png

Observant people would also notice I set my icon and font size to their Mac OS 9 sizes. I think it's too big by default.

17. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I personally hate explorer, finder is the best! When I had windows I always tried to make everything work like a mac... It didn't work, now that I have finder it is so much easier to do anything! Oh, and also spotlight is the best!

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I love it!!

I hear people say its one of OS X weakest points, but I love it!

19. Miker2k macrumors regular

Snap to grid..... perfect. Thanks for pointing this one out :D

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Gah, it's crazy annoying that you post things as fact when you have no idea what you're talking about. There are a few alternatives.

Snax
    Path Finder
    Liquifile

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Path Finder is supposed to be a pretty good addition, I'm downloading it atm to try it out.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I LOVE Path Finder.

23. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah... Tallest Skil loves spreading misinformation, at least this time he wasn't as condescending and rude as he normally is.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

:eek:

Apple needs to buy this company and make Path Finder the Finder. It's as simple as that.

Screw this "Put Back" nonsense. Give us THIS, Apple.

I always assumed that these Finder addons were just that: addons. Not full-blown redos of what the Finder can and should be.