I hate Godaddy, but 32.37% world still loves them..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Techarena, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Techarena, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

Techarena macrumors newbie

Hi,

I really had a very bad experience with godaddy....took such a lot of time for loading my site....and if i called them for any issue, their only answer would be "will be resolved soon" only...But no steps are taken after that....I really got fed up.....I would suggest all to not to prefer godaddy....

But then, when i was just surfing the internet...I founded that godaddy are the world top domain registrar untill now. I was shocked to see, that 32.37 % are willing to prefer godaddy. Are they really worth of it...If so, why they were not bothering of me!!!!!:(:(:(

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

I find that stat a bit weird, I couldn't find the two danish domain registers there.
    I would suppose godaddy somehow handles domain names for others ?

also a bit surprised the lack of private companies on that list, yes there is Google, but what about other big names ? or universities ? at the end of the list there is a bunch of similar named entities.

I find it hard to believe that godaddy would be the main operator of domain names to be honest. I worked with many sites and customers and only one had godaddy, which we moved his site away from.

edit: found denmark on the list, and correct only two registers...but not the ones that are actually there (DK-hostmaster and the other one I forget the name of, the listing shows two totally odd names)

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Perhaps "loves" isn't quite accurate. Perhaps it's more of a locked-in inertia. I had GoDaddy for 4 or 5 years, meanwhile increasingly despising them. ---Until they withdrew several hundred dollars from my bank account without my permission and felt the wrath of CrickettGrrrl visited upon their heads. Fortunately we do not socialize in the same circles or I'd tear that loathsome elephant-murdering CEO a new one.

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Hover.com. I bought five domains from them over the last two months. I will never use Godaddy again. All my domains expired from them several years ago.

Hover called me the first morning after I bought the first domain through them to make sure I DID place the order and that everything was setup properly. And they include free privacy on whois.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I use Godaddy because I respect Bob Parsons, and the charity work their foundation does. They aren't the cheapest domain provider, but you can alway find promo codes.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

But then you have to click no to a million offers during checkout.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Don't think it's quite a million, but when I first started with GoDaddy I thought they called too much. I had to opt out of phone calls, and haven't received one from them in years since then.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have zero problems with GoDaddy. They have always been very helpful.

9. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Well in fairness they're definitely the most active in terms of promoting themselves. That and they own quite a few other companies that offer domain registration so between them they probably get a decent amount of revenue in.

I primarily use Name.com myself though I have a few domains through Gandi.net as well. I wouldn't use GoDaddy.com unless I genuinely had no other option.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I used them because they were the only name I recognized and ultimately the prices were about the same. I stick with them because it is not worth it to change. The amount of time I'd spend finding someone else, getting everything transferred, and dealing with the inevitable screw ups. Would cost me more money in my time than sticking with them for the next five years.

I only have their most basic hosting and registration package. Only about 1% of my business is from my website. The rest is repeats and word of mouth. I only get one or two clicks from Google Adwords per month.