Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I wish i could love android and use it as my primary OS, but i always find myself coming up.

started with the S3 and loved it, but missed iMessage, the notification system, better camera (iphone 5) App selection and Mac integration.

traded my iPhone 5 with the note 2 and had it for 4 months, really was enjoying the S Pen and the big screen. But went back because of those features, and iOS 7. I just really like how smooth and fluid iOS is. Android 4.2 is smooth as well, but there is just something about iOS that i miss and want back. And now i have the iPhone 5...Again..

Reason I want to be an android lovers, is because Google, Samsung or LG don't **** their customers. Apple is like recycling ideas, while Samsung has many innovate features, and more hardware.. like infrared, NFC, and 1080P screen.

im not an iSheep because i admit that both companies are great and i try different products not only Apple products. I gave my brother my iPhone 5 and on the 20th i want to purchase another phone..

the Note 3 is far superior than the 5S. the 5S is the same **** as the 5 but with finger print sensor" other phones had this" and an improved camera. 64 bit processor( eh too early?)

but anyway the note 3 has a leather backing which is very nice, but i feel like if i get the Note 3 ill go back and get a 5S ughh
anyone else feel the same?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
You do what you want. Don't care, whether you hate or love android or iOS. Don't hate your desicions of your own taste that's ridiculous.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Nope. I switched and never looked back. I dont even care what new features iOS may have. My biggest problem is which phone to pick because i keep them a while and the iPhone just isnt an option for me.

Sounds like you are just having seperation issues with Apple for some reason.
Too many other features on Android i like that Apple simply does not have and imo notifications are far better on Android where you say you missed their notifications on Apple. Cant wrap my head around that one but again, thats me.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Its not something you can force. Either you can live with Android being your primary OS, or you can't. Either way there is no shame in it. To me it sounds like you want to distance yourself from the iPhone crowd (I've been there and was the primary reason I switched to a S3. And I know it was a stupid reason). However, I've come to really enjoy Android and will continue to use it in the future.

That being said, I am very interested in the 5S for some of the features, the most important being iMessage (none of my friends use 3rd party messaging apps and mostly have iPhones). I'll probably move to a 5S and Nexus and use them interchangeably. Point being, don't choose your phone based on appearances, views, etc. Pick a phone that you are comfortable with and enjoy using. If its an iOS device, so be it

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I switched and I haven't looked back. I've got an iPad for those times that I need to mess around with iOS.

To be totally honest, I found that I'm really only enjoyed using my iPhone when something new, software wise, was available. Right now I've been killing my battery at least every other day on my iPad because I'm playing around with iOS 7. When I'm tired of it, the battery will last a week or two again. With Apple, those situations only happen once a year(twice if a jailbreak is available). With Android, I can pick and choose different ROMs and mods and whatever to keep myself entertained.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There is no right or wrong answer. Liking one OS or just having a personal preference for it is OK. You do not need to seek or look for validation from strangers.

Likewise a company can add as many bells and whistles to a device as they want but if at the end of the day you simply prefer how another device runs then why worry about perceived innovation or lack thereof.

Just use and enjoy whatever device you have. If what you have feels right for you then don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks, just use it and enjoy it.

A life less insecure, simples....

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I guess Joan Jett said it best for this thread:

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts said:
I hate myself for loving you
can't break free from the things that you do
I want to walk, but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you

Personally, I love my iGear, but just wanted to post this, as it was apropos.

BL.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I know what you mean. I'm typing this on my 2013 Nexus 7 but I still prefer iPhone for my smartphone. It's fluidity and stability plus things like iMessage, the overall app quality, and Apple ecosystem keep me on the iOS side. That being said, my Nexus 7 is a GREAT device and I really enjoy the Android OS for numerous things. I'll probably always have a Nexus around to satisfy my sweet tooth. ;)

As much as I love iPhone, I'm torn about the 5s.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'd say get an iPhone as a phone and then get an Android tablet to feed your tinkerish side.

Every iPhone that came out so far had me excited and want to line up to get it the second it comes out. But this year, the 5S looks frankly pathetically dated and unimpressive. I really don't care about a better camera and a gimmicky fingerprint scanner isn't going to impress me for more than 5 minutes. It's a shame, really. Excellent hardware but the same boring dumbed down OS. Except this time "upgraded" to have even longer animations and eye candy fluff that just impedes workflow.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
At the end of the day, it's all about what we, as individuals find that works for us. There is no perfect solution, but there is the sloution we each prefer. And it's that fact that we should celebrate :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with ending up with an iPhone over all of the competition IMO.

Apple always pump out more than capable hardware so its no bad thing owning one. :D

We should think ourselves lucky we have such choices when it comes to phones nowadays.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Currently running a HTC one for an evaluation.

Things I dislike vs my 4s:

• screen is too big (can't reach the top with my thumb 1 handed, the HTC One mini fixes this)
  • The home button is awkward to try and hit one handed without dropping the phone
  • the OK/cancel dialogs have cancel on the LEFT, which is in direct conflict with every other UI i use (FFS, why?!).
  • I've run into a couple of bugs (mostly fixed with 4.2.2)

I get my phones supplied by work for free, so cost is not a factor. At the moment (5 days in) I still prefer my 4s.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Currently running a HTC one for an evaluation.

Things I dislike vs my 4s:

• screen is too big (can't reach the top with my thumb 1 handed, the HTC One mini fixes this)
  • The home button is awkward to try and hit one handed without dropping the phone
  • the OK/cancel dialogs have cancel on the LEFT, which is in direct conflict with every other UI i use (FFS, why?!).
  • I've run into a couple of bugs (mostly fixed with 4.2.2)

I get my phones supplied by work for free, so cost is not a factor. At the moment (5 days in) I still prefer my 4s.

Isn't cancel usually found on the left, with ok/confirm being found on the right?

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Not in Windows, OS X or any other operating system I can recall. OK is on the left and cancel is on the right.

stupid-freaking-popup.jpg

ios_permission_popups.jpg

IMG_0994.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
There is no right or wrong answer. Liking one OS or just having a personal preference for it is OK. You do not need to seek or look for validation from strangers.

Likewise a company can add as many bells and whistles to a device as they want but if at the end of the day you simply prefer how another device runs then why worry about perceived innovation or lack thereof.

Just use and enjoy whatever device you have. If what you have feels right for you then don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks, just use it and enjoy it.

A life less insecure, simples....
This. My S3 had a lot more options for customization, the screen was bigger, I had more freedom with sharing photo's and other data, yet I haven't looked back since moving to the iPhone. For me it is generally a better everyday experience and for one thing I don't miss the lag I had with the S3. There is no right or wrong answer and it really annoys me when you see someone say that one platform is far superior to the other. That is simply wrong on so many levels. Android and iOS offer virtually the same thing but offer a very different experience in their delivery. Android has a lot more scope to share data and is open to the user, whereas iOS is tailored towards a certain way of operating. I actually like its layout and simplicity, and feel its closed garden approach makes it a much more stable experience. I enjoyed my Android experience very much too and still recommend it as an option to friends or family when they ask for advice. I can only share my own opinions and let people either use that as a pointer or not. It makes no difference to me what someone ends up doing, as long as they are happy with the choice.

Its always best to try out different options and see what is right for you. To the OP, if the iPhone keeps drawing you back then it obviously offers something you feel is important that you can't find elsewhere. There is no point trying to dislike something for the sake of it. Its a mobile phone at the end of the day and they all pretty much offer the same service. It is just user preference that sets them apart. :)

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
I am almost on the same boat...

I have an iPhone 3GS, before that I had a 4S and I sold it and bought a really cheap galaxy s2 to give android a go for some months... What got me away from it was when it blocked during a call, when it lagged and when it simply wouldn't turn on again and I had to re flash the rom! Don't get me wrong here, these were just 3 situations in months but you guys know that iOS has a whole other level of smoothness!

On the galaxy I tried stock Samsung rom on 4.1.2
Jellybam 4.2.2
Omega Rom 4.2.2
And some other roms! None are problem free!

So my GF is using it for now and I'm with her 3GS... What really got me hooked up was the 4.3 screen of the GS2... I decided to wait and see if iPhone 6 would bring a bigger screen by idk if I can wait, apps are going to get updates and I might not getting them because of iOS 7.. Battery lasts half day on the 3GS, I ordered a new one for 10€ let's see how that goes...

So I'm looking at the note 3 but I'm really afraid to get on the same android problems I had... I know android will eventually lag at some point, that's why android needs more hardware than other OS... But like I said I don't know if I can wait for the 6 and I don't know if I should go with a note 3.. Because in my country, paying full price is the only option and I'm afraid I might regret it!

Damn first world problems!

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I know where you are coming from. Currently I have a 4s and an iPad 2. I ended up picking up a Nexus 7 and I like it so much that I have been waiting for a new Nexus phone to come out. I think I am going to end up going with a 5s though. There is just so much more developer support for Apple products. Just as an example, I use a fitbit on a daily basis and sync with my iPhone. According to them, it works with Apple but they have to go in and put coding changes in their app for every individual Android phone and they have to work with the phone manufacturers to get it to work...currently it only works with a handful of Samsung phones. So it is just frustrating that things can be so fragmented like that and it discourages developers from supporting Android.

To be honest, it is the only thing that I prefer about Apple and iOS over Android but I think that it is enough that it will keep me going back to the iPhone if I were to switch.

I still love my Nexus and use it more than my iPad...I just think I would get frustrated when things I could do on my 2 year old iPhone didn't work on my latest and greatest Android phone. None of this stuff works on my iPad 2 though so maybe if I had went with an iPad mini, I would never have considered Android to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.