I hate iTunes, sync issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brando123b, Feb 9, 2011.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

brando123b

I'm having all kinds of issues syncing my iPhone. I keep getting these duplicate file found error or can't find the file, or a folder is specified not a file. I restored my phone (losing all my app data, which sucked) and I can't figure out what is wrong, it keeps on doing it.

Half the time I plug in the phone it says there is a duplicate file...no idea what that means.

I do have issues with multiple duplicate contacts in my address book for some reason. I'm using google sync.

Sigh...I thought itunes would be great, it seems to be a real pain.

On a side note, how is it possible I have music and pod casts on my iphone when I did not select to sync music or pod casts? It is like my iTunes and iPhone are not talking correctly.

2. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

brando123b

I did uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

I'm going to the Apple store today. There are 2-3 different error messages, one where the device failed, one that it is a duplicate file and then some other random one.

This all started after I tried to add photos from my PC to the phone, I have sense removed the photos and I'm not syncing them, but the problem remains.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

When you uninstalled iTunes, did you follow the directions from Apple or did you uninstall iTunes only?

4. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

brando123b

I did not follow Apple's instructions, I'm doing that right now.

I did visit the Apple store, they did a DFU restore. Obviously a little tricky to track down because they don't have my iTunes, but we'll see. I will update you soon.

5. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

brando123b

Sigh. It told me it can't read my iPhone and that I need to restore. I restored, then it says the file can't be found. Then it says a folder was specified not a file....

What garbage. I'm lost. There are posts all over the internet about similar issues with no resolution.

I just did a clean restore, named my iPhone, told it to sync contacts, calendar and notes, as well as apps. The smaller dialog box pops up saying it is syncing...that goes for about 2 minutes then it says:

"iphone "My iPhone" cannot be synched, required file could not bef ound"

What does that even mean? What f'n file.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Maybe its having issues reading your contacts, calendar, and or notes.

7. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue with my iPad, but my iPhone is fine. I've looked for a solution everywhere I can think of, to no avail.

Seems like enough people are having problems that Apple should be perfectly aware of the issue by now. A simple admission, with a, "We're working on it" would be nice, Apple.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

just curious! Are you using Google Sync or MobileMe, or some other sync service?

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I've got MobileMe.

10. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

I don't know how to fix the problem, but I just want to add that I have this exact same problem. I have a Dell XPS L401X that uses a Core i5 processor on a Intel HM57 Chipset. I have seen many forums around the internet with people having this exact issue, some people say it is the computer vendors issue, others say it is iTunes. I really hope that Apple or someone fixes this! I have had this issue since November and others have had it for much longer!