I hate iTunes12, but getting a replacement to play?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blackxacto, Jan 28, 2015.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I have used iTunes12 for several months and I still get lost every time I want to play music, so I have been looking for alternatives. I have downloaded "Songbird" and "Play". I like Songbird, but I cannot get either of Songbird or Play to produce sound from my computer's Yosemite speakers. iTune12 plays fine, but I've opened the Sound System Pref and no clicking and selecting sources produces sound in my alternative apps.

Does Audio Midi Utility play a part in forcing my alternative apps. This is crazy that only iTunes12 can produce sound.

Anyone have a suggestion about producing sound in Yosemite?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Songbird went dormant in 2013, even its fork, Nightingale is stuck at 32 bit mode.
    Play has such an awful name it's a miracle anyone finds it ever.
    Try Clementine, although it's been over a year since that was updated too.

3. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Dude, it is great. Thanks for the suggestion

Clementine is great. Easy to navigate. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

It seems to me that every new iTunes gets worse than the previous. It use to be intuitive but it isn't any more for me.

5. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Clementine

Clementine is so easy to use. All I want to do is play my own tunes on my computer, not have some horrible Frankenstein interface to guess where I am or where is the next tune to play.

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

I don't hate iTunes, but IMO the app is trying to do way too much. Clementine is OK, it's got a few nice additions. If you really want your Mac's music to sound really good, check out Audirvana Plus (http://audirvana.com) - it's not free, but there's a demo. I tried it, then bought it - I really wish there was an iOS version. I can't even listen to music through iTunes now...