Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
DFU does not use iboot so it has more option like downgrading on certain idevices.

My bet is that after the restore you put back your old settings and did not setup as a new iphone.

A dfu restore installs a clean new ios version ALL info is wiped so there could be no re-occuring problem, however if you sync back to itunes you out back the old info an old problem.

If you are sure you haven't done that it is a hardware problem, if still under warranty you can exchange it with out limits.

If you did a dfu restore there will be no trace of the JB.

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
DFU does not use iboot so it has more option like downgrading on certain idevices.

My bet is that after the restore you put back your old settings and did not setup as a new iphone.

A dfu restore installs a clean new ios version ALL info is wiped so there could be no re-occuring problem, however if you sync back to itunes you out back the old info an old problem.

If you are sure you haven't done that it is a hardware problem, if still under warranty you can exchange it with out limits.

If you did a dfu restore there will be no trace of the JB.
Yes I just did DFU again and I restore via itunes without no backups as fresh as my iphone can get.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Or the IPSW firmware file is corrupt.

Last thing you can try is download the 6.1.3 IPSW for the 4S from here:

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Put it in DFU again and manually select the downloaded IPSW by hitting ALT-restore on a mac or SHIFT-restore on a windows machine

After the restore is complete setup as new again.

If that fails bring it to apple.

xc0216

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
You can restore.

While Jailbreaking does not change the Apple Store view-mode, no one else seems to be answering your question (How do I remove Jailbreak?) I will tell you the ONLY way to remove your jailbreak.

1. Connect you iPhone to iTunes AT THE HOME SCREEN or just anything past the Lock Screen.
2. Press Power/Lock for 3 Seconds.
3. Keep pressing Power/Lock and press the Home Button 15 seconds.
4. Let go of Power/Lock but keep pressing the Home Button for 15 Seconds.
-iTunes should say its in recovery mode.
5. Click OK.
6. Then click Restore and let it do its thing.
**Don't restore from jailbroken backup when done.
***When entering DFU (Steps 1-4) Don't let go!

Last edited:

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Or the IPSW firmware file is corrupt.

Last thing you can try is download the 6.1.3 IPSW for the 4S from here:

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Put it in DFU again and manually select the downloaded IPSW by hitting ALT-restore on a mac or SHIFT-restore on a windows machine

After the restore is complete setup as new again.

If that fails bring it to apple.

Yes I did that before this site: http://www.ipswdownloader.com/download-iphone-ipsw-files.php Same thing really.

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
@xc0216

Maybe you should read better
1) OP is already at stock
2) OP already knows how to get in to DFU
3) We already suggested what you are telling him

----------

Sometimes you get a bad download, it's worth a shot

I will try the one you gave me and if it doesn't work I will just go back to ios 7 beta 4 where my app store and my cell phone signal isn't messed up. I will respond back again.

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Yup ios 6.1.3 is messed up on my phone so my only option is ios 7 beta or return to apple store. I will choose ios 7 until my contract runs out.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe this is Apple's doing. There have been some reports of people's iOS 6 App Store changing to the older layout.

When restoring an iDevice, a restore is a restore. DFU mode won't do anything magical over a normal or recovery mode restore. All three wipe the partitions, generate a new encryption key (if applicable), and reload from nothing. DFU mode only does extra if the baseband is damaged. A damaged baseband is not possible on an iPhone 4S because of how the baseband is loaded when the device boots.

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Maybe this is Apple's doing. There have been some reports of people's iOS 6 App Store changing to the older layout.

When restoring an iDevice, a restore is a restore. DFU mode won't do anything magical over a normal or recovery mode restore. All three wipe the partitions, generate a new encryption key (if applicable), and reload from nothing. DFU mode only does extra if the baseband is damaged. A damaged baseband is not possible on an iPhone 4S because of how the baseband is loaded when the device boots.

I don't know about this stuff but I am loading IOS 7 beta 4 as we speak and everything is normal.

iseeu1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
seems like its not only me some other people are having this problem to when I google it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
OP sounds deliberately obtuse.

Is he now?

url.png

I've honestly seen this happen with my 3Gs running iOS 6 a few times since June. Never though much of it other than "I can use the App Store again :)".

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

Thank you! I will never understand this obsession with DFU restores. If you can boot your phone, just restore. If you can't but can get it into recovery mode, do a normal recovery mode restore. The only time you need to do a DFU mode restore is if you can't even put your phone in recovery mode.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Restore as NEW don't use backups. And,
Stop whining about jb when you clearly don't understand what you are doing.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Well sometimes people tend to get stuck in 1 direction and need some guidance, often people are confused by recovery and dfu, dfu offers the most option as it bypasses iboot and therefor is the 'cleanest' restore. Not all of us are that handy or educated on these subjects.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Well sometimes people tend to get stuck in 1 direction and need some guidance, often people are confused by recovery and dfu, dfu offers the most option as it bypasses iboot and therefor is the 'cleanest' restore. Not all of us are that handy or educated on these subjects.

DFU doesn't bypass iBoot. It loads it's own iBoot for the restoration of iOS. Even when iTunes does a normal/recovery restore, iBoot is reloaded from nothing via a ram disk. There's nothing cleaner about it. Just like resetting the PRAM in a Mac, after the second chime any additional chime is just a waste of time because the system won't be any different.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Leaves the fact that not all people are this technically versed and sometimes need to be 'guided' trhru a few maybe unnecessary steps to lead them in the right direction.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Leaves the fact that not all people are this technically versed and sometimes need to be 'guided' trhru a few maybe unnecessary steps to lead them in the right direction.

Don't fail to overlook the fact that most people are not competent enough to get the device into DFU mode.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Obvious, but the OP posted a youtube link with that, so my basic 'get in to DFU' posting wasn't necessary

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
But there is no difference in results between a normal, Recovery mode, and DFU mode restore. People are forever advising people who have already restored to restore again in DFU mode. It happened in this very thread, with people insisting that the OP has to use DFU mode. Quite obviously the OP's only problem was restoring from backup, and not the mode in which he did his restore.

Aside from some jailbreak procedures which require the phone to be in DFU mode, the only reason to put your phone in DFU mode is if you can't successfully restore it any other way.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
But there is no difference in results between a normal, Recovery mode, and DFU mode restore. People are forever advising people who have already restored to restore again in DFU mode. It happened in this very thread, with people insisting that the OP has to use DFU mode. Quite obviously the OP's only problem was restoring from backup, and not the mode in which he did his restore.

Aside from some jailbreak procedures which require the phone to be in DFU mode, the only reason to put your phone in DFU mode is if you can't successfully restore it any other way.

Actually that does not seem to be his problem, he does not restore from a backup.

Besides that look at it a bit wider, what might be obvious to you might not be so obvious to the less experienced user, having them restore in DFU makes sure they don't 'restore' an itunes backup but in fact do a firmware restore, most don't know the difference to start with.
It might as well be a restore in recovery but at least you make sure they take the right kind of restore.

It's simple. All you need to do is restore your device to the latest version.

Please do actually read the thread, that is stated already multiple times

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Please do actually read the thread, that is stated already multiple times

I have read the thread from beginning to end, and I did not see that OP has ever clearly stated that he set up his phone as new and did not restore from any backup. Nor do I believe that the OP knows enough to really understand the difference.

But regardless of that, telling him to do a DFU mode restore us pointless. No amount of arguing is ever going to make the results of a DFU restore any different from those of a normal iTunes restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.