I hate lovebugs.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, May 28, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

my girlfriend just got back from a long weekend in Florida and said the exact same thing.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I had never seen or even heard of them before I went to Florida a week and a half ago. They were EVERYWHERE, and my roommate's car looked just like your VW when we returned. Crazy bug sex.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I wash my car every week to try to keep the frackers off it. :( I had never heard of them till I moved here. God, they're awful. :(

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Supposedly they lay their eggs once a year, and only have a lifespan of a few weeks. So, hopefully they'll be gone soon. They just destroy your car, and they're damn near impossible to get off. Once they're on there, you've got to scrub them off with a scrub brush...it's like cement or something.

I went to the beach today and it was just a totally unenjoyable experience...there were swarms of them EVERYWHERE.

My poor car :(

5. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Yep, I concur. Nothing gets me more aggravated on a Sunday afternoon than spending over an hour washing my car to remove caked-on lovebug guts.:mad:

6. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

They are especially evil during planting season. Every year I must snort in a few lines of them......:eek:

7. furious macrumors 65816

furious

In Australia we call VW Beetles lovebugs after the free lovin sixties.

That is what I thought you meant.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Holy cow! I have never heard of these things. Glad I live in California. :)

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Flew into Talahassee one Spring a few years back to drive into southern GA. The rental was a white Town Car. Never enjoyed getting a car that messy as much since!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They used to be called that here also. This particular bug is the one described here, however. ;) It's interesting, though, I half believed the rumor that the University of Florida had somehow brought about the spread of these bugs. The article indicates they've been described for at least 60 years. I'm surprised I never heard of them before moving to Florida.

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Didn't know what a lovebug was until now.

Thats what my car looks like in the summer when I make the drive between the university and my home town (300 miles). Pain in the ass to clean.

12. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

They suck.

Eat at your paint, and make you look like you dont know how to care for your car.

You can always pick those people who, next to you on the highway, have been driving longer than you that day.

Love bugs, they suck.

lets just not get into the whole, UF bio-engineered them as a way to make mosquitos harmless, etc etc. its not true.

14. mike dunx macrumors regular

I moved to Florida a few months ago, and hadn't heard of them before now either. They're sooo annoying. And they're everywhere. Always having buttsex too, they never stop.

15. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Actually that is close to true!

Love bugs are not indeginious (however you spell it?) to Florida. They are native somewhere in south america... and each lovebug is capable of eating thousands of mosquitoes per day... so some genious decided to introduce them to us here in florida thinking they would eat alot of the pesky mosquitoes... Only one problem... he didnt do his research and they figured out after they introduced them to this region that the love bugs only eat a certain type of mosquitoe that is native to the area in South America that the love bugs come from! (Also, they have no natural predator... their blood is so acidic that whatever eats them tends to die... this is also why they eat the paint off of your car) So now we have BILLIONS of these suckers flying around with nothing to eat and nothing to do but *****. that is why we see them only twice a year for around a month... spring and falll.. their eggs hatch... they fly around and mate, have nothing to eat and then die within a few weeks....

They are also attracted to carbon dioxide/monoxide...that is why they are alll over the highway.... sucks cutting the lawn when they are out... i look like pig pen from charlie brown.... houndreds of them swarming around the lawnmower! I HATE THESE SUCKERS!

16. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

i did work at a car wash and i have seen some really gross things on cars. in jersey the bug problem must not be that bad. that is the worst i have ever seen! ewwwwww!

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Spray/rub Pam Cooking Spray on the front of your car before you go. Then the bugs just wipe off easily! Won't damage the paint or anything like that either, and just washes off.

That blue bug/tar gel stuff works pretty good to get them off too, if you forget to grease it up before you go on a trip.

18. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

HOLY BUGS!!! I've never seen a car that bad before and I live in Wisconsin

19. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Haha.

You mean you can go somewhere WITHOUT these 'effers?