Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I have developed very serious hatred toward my phone, to the point where I rather not use it... To be fair, I have bought several 3G phones for my family members and girlfriend. On top of that, I have convinced at least 5 other people in the office to also purchase the new 3G.

However, I am seriously pushed to my limit and sick of the damn issues.
  1. 3G reception is horrible. I simply have to switch to Edge in order to use my phone in the office and at home.
  2. Firmware 2.0...nuff said. It has made calling/texting and email worthless. In fact, I stay away from doing any of those just so I won't become angry...
  3. Battery Life...nuff said here as well.
  4. Syncing the phone...God, please don't make me plug it in.

I really don't want to give up the phone, but I don't think I have much choice. In few more weeks if the issues don't resolve themselves, I think I am done for good.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
To be fair, I have bought several 3G phones for my family members and girlfriend. On top of that, I have convinced at least 5 other people in the office to also purchase the new 3G.
This is why I won't recommend anything until I've used it for at least two months (and like it).

I don't see much happening with 3G reception anytime soon.

I think Apple will nail the firmware. Or at least they did with the original iPhone, which had a long list of complaints against it one month out of the gate too.

I don't see battery life improving. 3G doesn't help, and the App Store adding more functionality to the device that keeps people playing with it more than ever doesn't help either.

Not sure what your problem with syncing is. Mine syncs fine and fast each time.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

sorry for your problems but the iPhone is still the best phone ever.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
3g Hates You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't doubt that for one second...

Soon enough you will come around and develop the same hatred! I was once like you...about 2 weeks ago!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

sorry for your problems but the iPhone is still the best phone ever.

Not if you can't use any of its functions. On paper it's great, but in actuality...not quite there.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL

Soon enough you will come around and develop the same hatred! I was once like you...about 2 weeks ago!

Not if you can't use any of its functions. On paper it's great, but in actuality...not quite there.

3G is prolyl bad where u live. Its an area thing. I have 2.0 and nothings wrong with mine. Its perfect. Im not even upgrading to 2.0.1. Battery life? Mine last 2 full days texting, emailing, surfing the web and listening to ipod with 3g on. (location off) I think u just have a bad iphone and you live in a poor 3g reception area. If u hate it that mush, return it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I deal with Windows Mobiles and BlackBerrys daily (providing enterprise support), and I'm very happy to be using an iPhone 3G for personal use. Issues and all, I can't think of another phone that'd make me more happy.

Even if the new BlackBerry Bold gets a better 3G signal and has better battery life, I'll miss native iTunes support, the App Store, Safari, and the overall user interface.

The 3G is definitely not quite all there, but to his comment, its probably still the best all around phone out there. Not perfect, but good enough in so many areas that switching to another phone isn't realistic for many.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
3G is prolyl bad where u live. Its an area thing. I have 2.0 and nothings wrong with mine. Its perfect. Im not even upgrading to 2.0.1. Battery life? Mine last 2 full days texting, emailing, surfing the web and listening to ipod with 3g on. (location off) I think u just have a bad iphone and you live in a poor 3g reception area. If u hate it that mush, return it.
Of course I know what my options are...

I am basically just venting, but please save the prolific high school thoughts to yourself.

I deal with Windows Mobiles and BlackBerrys daily (providing enterprise support), and I'm very happy to be using an iPhone 3G for personal use. Issues and all, I can't think of another phone that'd make me more happy.

Even if the new BlackBerry Bold gets a better 3G signal and has better battery life, I'll miss native iTunes support, the App Store, Safari, and the overall user interface.

The 3G is definitely not quite all there, but to his comment, its probably still the best all around phone out there. Not perfect, but good enough in so many areas that switching to another phone isn't realistic for many.

I am trying to use this phone as a "do it all", which is exactly what was advertised by Apple/AT&T. All I am really asking is lag-free text/email/phone call, the rest I can live for months without updates.

If all 10 phones around me have the same issue, it's hard to believe that all of our phones are the "defected" batch.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
In an attempt to avoid making this an ugly thread...

How you done all the usual things, restore, exchange etc.?

I don't have any of your issues and I'm sorry your having such a bad 3G experience.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
In an attempt to avoid making this an ugly thread...

How you done all the usual things, restore, exchange etc.?

I don't have any of your issues and I'm sorry your having such a bad 3G experience.

Yes, restored several times and I have stopped adding applications onto my phone. Went into Genius Bar and ran the diagnostic test and came up with nothing.

All 10+ phones around me are having similar issues, so I am crossing off my phone as an isolated problem child.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I am trying to use this phone as a "do it all", which is exactly what was advertised by Apple/AT&T. All I am really asking is lag-free text/email/phone call, the rest I can live for months without updates.
Good, because that's the one area where the iPhone 3G has hope for some some-what soon relief. Apple's not shy when it comes to releasing firmware updates.

If all 10 phones around me have the same issue, it's hard to believe that all of our phones are the "defected" batch.
Hmm, I never said anything about a bad batch. Were your responding to someone else?

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I have developed very serious hatred toward my phone, to the point where I rather not use it... To be fair, I have bought several 3G phones for my family members and girlfriend. On top of that, I have convinced at least 5 other people in the office to also purchase the new 3G.
However, I am seriously pushed to my limit and sick of the damn issues.
  1. 3G reception is horrible. I simply have to switch to Edge in order to use my phone in the office and at home.
  2. Firmware 2.0...nuff said. It has made calling/texting and email worthless. In fact, I stay away from doing any of those just so I won't become angry...
  3. Battery Life...nuff said here as well.
  4. Syncing the phone...God, please don't make me plug it in.

I really don't want to give up the phone, but I don't think I have much choice. In few more weeks if the issues don't resolve themselves, I think I am done for good.

WOW!! sorry to hear you have so many problems with yours. Mine is pretty good.

1) have great 3G service where I am. Hardley ever swiches over to edge.

2) Firmware 2.0.1 has been pretty good for me. Besides safari crashing once in a while its been no problems. All my apps and email work great.

3) battery life has gotten much better for me. I leave everything on ( 3G, location services ect...) and I make it through the day no problem.

4) As far as syncing the phone goes i have so many apps that backing it up takes a long time so I just cancel the backup and the sync works just fine.

Again sorry you have so much trouble. Have you considered taking it to apple. If my iphone had that much trouble I would.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Hmm, I never said anything about a bad batch. Were your responding to someone else?
Yes, responded under the wrong quote.

Again sorry you have so much trouble. Have you considered taking it to apple. If my iphone had that much trouble I would.
I will soon, but I am not holding my breath, and I don't think at this point a replacement would resolve anything.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
minr works great.. 3g is great. battery life lasts two full days with regular use and 3g on. sounds like u have a bad phone. try to get another
I think battery life is likely attributing to the horrible 3G service here in Seattle. Like I said before, it isn't just my phone.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Mine too works great

1. Great 3G reception
2. Battery life is good (3G on, Wifi on, location services on - 24+hours standby with 6 + hours of usage and about 45 minutes of calls, and some text)
3. No cracks
4. Syncing is quick Back-up takes less than 2 minutes (18 Apps, three movies, video and audiopodcast and about 238 songs, 2 audio books, 24 photos, 15 videos total)
5. 2.0.1 took care of all the keyboard lag and he lag in the contacts.

Couldn't be happier, life too short its just a phone if it makes you that unhappy get something that meets your needs.

And5555

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
A note of encouragement:

I was complaining all the time just like you on these forums about 2 weeks ago how my battery life sucked and I never got 3G (and was thus forced to always use Edge).

In the past two weeks, however, everything has started to miraculously change. I now get 3G everywhere (Austin, TX) and cruise the internet always whether at home or work. I attribute this perhaps to an improvement in my area, and as well maybe a bit of a slowdown in usage from the initial hype.

I also noticed that my battery lasts all day with moderate use. I have not run out of battery once yet. I attribute this to perhaps an uncalibrated battery monitor, which after enough use finally found the correct offset.

While your issues might continue to be there regardless of how long you wait, perhaps there is still hope before you throw in the towel. Or maybe I've just been gifted with a miracle, unexplainable by any science.

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Since upgrading to 2.0.1 does anyone get the problem where they would be talking to someone and when they try to hang up the screen wont appear like it did before meaning that u have to hit the top button repeatedly?

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I mean, most of us still have minor type lag, but it's not bad to the point of being unbearable.. it still types out what you text, and usually corrects it to exactly what you wanted to say anyways.

I've honestly not been bothered by it, and 2.0.1 cleaned it up ALOT.

Sorry it's so bad for you, either stick with it and wait for it to be cleared up or you could always grab a different phone.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I highly doubt that this is the case. If so, you should return it and get a LG Dare lol.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
You started this thread and didn't expect to get flamed?

Anyways, who vents on a forums about a cell phone, women only come to mind. :p
So real men read and respond to these threads? We're on the same boat, buddy.

This post is rubbish....

Please Delete....

I won't care much. But if they start deleting posts like this one, they would probably have to delete 90% of the posts on this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.