I hate my HDD dock, am I using it incorrectly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jun 9, 2010.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I have the OWC NewerTech Voyager S3 + eSATA dock which seems to be a very popular choice as far as docks go. I have it connected eSATA to my MBP with the very best Tempo Sonnet Pro eSATA card.

In my preferences I have "put my disk drives to sleep when possible" because I have so many hooked up and leave my computer on 24/7. I know this will solve my issue is I uncheck that but want to leave it on.

Whenever I use my dock, which I got for backup purposes, I launch CCC and walk away. It works great until it finishes. As soon as enough time passes to allow the disk to spin down the dock does not communicate that to my MBP and everything starts freezing up. My only option is to restart. I've called OWC and they explain there is not a necessary chip to allow the dock to sleep.

I wish I knew this before I purchased it because I certainly would have chosen something else. I know I can uncheck "put disks to sleep" but is there any other solution to this problem?

Do other docks have this issue? I very much dislike this product because of this reason. (I understand some greater minds out there would have known about this before purchasing but I'm not as powerful as you so please save the remarks about me being an idiot) :)

2. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I know this will solve my issue is I uncheck that but want to leave it on."

There's your answer.
    Your choice.