I hate my MBP 16

iandk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
So I now have the third replacement unit of my MacBook Pro 16" and I still hate it.
Don't get me wrong, the hardware is awesome, but macOS Catalina is a giant pile of ****.

Nothing works, the whole UI stutters, my external monitor doesn't turn on after waking up from sleep, the refresh rate sometimes gets set to 30hz and the external resolution will be reduced after sleep.

And the automatic brightness and True Tone results in a random changing saturation.

So I have to wait for apple to finally provide a software update and address those issues.

genealto

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
So I now have the third replacement unit of my MacBook Pro 16" and I still hate it.
Don't get me wrong, the hardware is awesome, but macOS Catalina is a giant pile of ****.

Nothing works, the whole UI stutters, my external monitor doesn't turn on after waking up from sleep, the refresh rate sometimes gets set to 30hz and the external resolution will be reduced after sleep.

And the automatic brightness and True Tone results in a random changing saturation.

So I have to wait for apple to finally provide a software update and address those issues.
I hope they fix the slow WiFi as well

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
...And the automatic brightness and True Tone results in a random changing saturation.

yeah i can relate.

i've had the true tone issue ever since i got my mid 2018 macbook pro. i even flagged it to the genius bar when i had my machine in for a litany of issues, and they just shrugged and said thats how it is. apple today is just another company pushing "features" without giving a care as to whether they actually work.

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
Your thread title is misleading. You hate macOS Catalina and there are MANY that will agree with that. I had high hopes for 10.15.3, but it barely fixed anything related to GPU issues. AMD 5XXX series drivers are still just not very good, especially with METAL. Waiting for 10.15.4 since I have no choice for MBP16,1.

Holding off on personal desktop replacement/upgrade situation until something is addressed. No combination of MBP16,1 with eGPU and dock has been a "desktop like replacement" experience that is viable longterm. Have no interest in purchasing an MP7,1 with RX580-based GPU or iMac 27" with RX580-based dGPU in 2020. Waiting for W5700X pricing or else will have to purchase a machine with Vega/VegaII/Vega48.

TechRunner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016

I have $100 I'm not doing anything with if you just want to get rid of it ;)

Seriously, I get your frustration. Over time, I've learned to stay one OS upgrade behind, only updating just before the new one appears. It's sad to have to think/live like that, but well, there it is. Of course, when buying a new machine, you're stuck with what Apple gives you...hopefully they'll get it sorted out soon so you can enjoy that new MBP!

Reactions: simonmet

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Sounds like misdirected hate and thus a post in the wrong forum.

We have a Catalina forum to whine about Catalina.
Citing software bugs is not whining. If I bought a new machine, I'd expect it to function without issue. With that said, as the 16 MBP can only run Catalina, issues arising on that machine ought to be cited here in case someone is considering buying it. Otherwise, how could someone make an informed purchase for the 16MBP searching the Catalina forum?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I didn’t want to post it in the Catalina forum since most of the issues are related to the 16“
Not for nothing, while you are happy with the hardware (which is great), there are people who are unhappy, whether with the screen or the speakers (popping).

Its too bad that Apple rolled out products that seem to cause more headaches :(

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I have Catalina on multiple machines at home and even more at work and none of our machines have any issues like this.

firelighter487

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
but macOS Catalina is a giant pile of ****.
Yes, Catalina is the worst version of OS X ever.
how is it that i keep hearing all these things? i am running it on my Mid-2012 13" MBP which may i add is iirc the lowest end machine that supports it and it still feels very fast. mind you i have an ssd and 16gb of ram but still, i haven't had a single issue with it, aside from a bug in mission control....

Reactions: bevsb2 and gjr74

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I have Catalina on multiple machines at home and even more at work and none of our machines have any issues like this.
Perhaps but thta doesn't mean other people are not dealing with issues. Since I no longer use a Mac, I'm more or less out of touch with the state of macOS, but even on the outside looking in, it seems pretty clear that Apple released an OS that wasn't ready for prime time

simonmet

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Perhaps but thta doesn't mean other people are not dealing with issues. Since I no longer use a Mac, I'm more or less out of touch with the state of macOS, but even on the outside looking in, it seems pretty clear that Apple released an OS that wasn't ready for prime time
This doesn’t surprise me given what I’ve seen in iOS every September. Every year it seems to get a little bit worse at launch, so the trend is both disappointing and concerning.

Having picked up a 16” MBP however, I can’t say that I’ve noticed any problems aside from the audio crackling, which was easily fixed by changing the audio resolution. It still largely looks and feels like the macOS I remember. I hadn’t noticed that Disk Utility is gone: that’s a strange one, but I imagine all its functionality is still available in Terminal via diskutil and others. Perhaps they increased background disk verification, permissions repairing, etc. I had several years without a Mac so, like you, I’ve not been following it closely. I was guilty of overdoing the tests though, so it’s probably for the best.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
Some poeple may be confusing standard features/specs they don’t like and lack of proper set up/optimization with flaws, bugs or malfunction. My MPB 16 and LG 5K work as intended, 60Hz refresh rate, no audio pop, no weird ghosting, no sleep or UI issues. Nothing unexpected with the latest Catalina update. Do I wish for missing features? Sure, but you can’t have it all. And I know more stability and features will be added. I am willing to be patient and wait. It’s a long game I have planned for the MBP. It’s going to serve me well, as have all my past MacBooks.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I hate to admit but I like my loaded 16 less and less each time I use it. I bought it to replace a what, 8mo old max spec iMac with Mojave, but that iMac sits in its box in my office yet, unlisted, bc I’m still not sold on this MBP. Catalina and the inability to run a more stable, previous OS on it (yes unprecedented I know) means the entire machine is only as good as the Catalina experience, which is pretty rough & shaky. If I could detach the stand off the iMac and make a more convenient travel bag for it, I’d stick with that. ...unfortunately Apple doesn’t let us remove the stands anymore either...

...my 2009 17” however, is still happily toting along smooth stable and solid, alternately running my office and my workshop around the clock, doing the most work of any computer in my organization. It‘s just sitting at High Sierra, & doesn’t have the horsepower to push 2020 3D solid modeling programs, so it needs replacing. Oddly, everything Apple makes today feels like a significant step down from it.

Last edited:

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
I hope they fix the slow WiFi as well
How fast is it supposed to be? Never had a problem with WiFi on any of the four MacBooks I have owned. Problems were always with the router or the internet provider. I get on average 250 Mbps download and 800 Mbps upload over fiber optic.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.41.11 AM.png

profcutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2019
I hate to admit but I like my loaded 16 less and less each time I use it. I bought it to replace a what, 8mo old max spec iMac with Mojave, but that iMac sits in its box in my office yet, unlisted, bc I’m still not sold on this MBP. Catalina and the inability to run a more stable, previous OS on it (yes unprecedented I know) means the entire machine is only as good as the Catalina experience, which is pretty rough & shaky. If I could detach the stand off the iMac and make a more convenient travel bag for it, I’d stick with that. ...unfortunately Apple doesn’t let us remove the stands anymore either...

...my 2009 17” however, is still happily toting along smooth stable and solid, alternately running my office and my workshop around the clock, doing the most work of any computer in my organization. It‘s just sitting at High Sierra, & doesn’t have the horsepower to push 2020 3D solid modeling programs, so it needs replacing. Oddly, everything Apple makes today feels like a significant step down from it.
When you say max spec iMac, what do you mean exactly? I may be in the market!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.