i hate my power company

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Jul 13, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my power company is the worst ever here in floriduh. we had 6 power surges just today (new record for them), but we have regular power surges, like usually every week at least, and just now, four power surges. grr...i'm sick and tired of them raising rates and just doing this junk every time it rains (like everyday). it's like when it rains, power goes off, this company is stuck somewhere in the middle of last century where power outages were frequent. and don't tell me about blackouts, at least the power stays off for a while, instead of just surging and you will know when it will black out. these people are annoying and one of the main reasons i have a macbook now. i don't know if i would have gotten any work done on my desktop alone. any other members have annoyances with their power company?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I have annoyances with my power company, my gas company, my phone company and my ISP. I'll spare you the gory details but there's a long list of incompetency, ineptitude and extremely poor customer service.

Strangely, the only utility I've never had any trouble with whatsoever are the water board. Plenty of time for them to mess up yet, mind. ;)

3. calculus Guest

calculus

They've certainly been giving you plenty of water lately...

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Actually, all of their north Hull pumping stations – which keep us from getting flooded – broke down during the recent bad weather.

Because they were flooded. :rolleyes:

So come to think about it, I do have an issue with them. Damned water board! :mad:

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'd join you in complaints, but I don't care abotu gas - we're all electric. But, I can toss in a cable company (even if they are our ISP as well). Did you know that they need to get management authorization to waive their own $40 cockup? $40! Idiots.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

are you mean when you lights flicker when it rains? What that means is either A some where on the system a line went out the delay from redirecting the power hit you or one of there huge breakers was force to cycle a few times to clear the line from what ever the storm caused.

right now the power companies are in a tight spot. Power demand is going sky high and supply is not keeping pass so it is very difficult to control the power. Plus people seem not to want to allow them to build new power plants to help keep up with it.

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I don't hate my power company, mainly because we aren't using Ameren and in return my parents won't have to pay the 20%-40% increase in bills, but I have a few gripes. #1: They don't have an email address. I mean seriously, they have a website, but no email address. #2. They said they were looking into BPL in October of 2006. Not a word has been said since. The only broadband I can get might be BPL, and I won't count satellite as broadband. The only thing broad they have is coverage.

Then again I hate AT&T, but that's a long story. Damn you AT&T-IS!!!!!!

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

no, as in the power actually goes off, usually for a few seconds then it comes back on. and this happens in any type of condition, rain or clear skies.

9. iGazer macrumors newbie

10. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

two more outages this morning. i'm convinced that they are a scam company. they just make me want to leave florida more and more. and also, thanks to them, i'm pretty much on my mac most of the time, and the pc is nearing uselessness, since i can never get much work done due to the frequent power outages. i'm sick of them now.:mad:

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

yet ANOTHER power outage

i'm done with this place, had another power surge again. i swear this place is stuck in a time warp. i hate south florida now and i can't wait to get out of here.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You think that's bad? Around lunch time every day in our local village the power flickers up and down for half an hour or so, and the same happens anywhere between 7 and 9 in the evening. We also get short power outages every few days, and the latest one happened a few hours ago. It was only a fraction of a second long (literally you would barely notice it) but it was enough to reset my hifi to standby (which I was listening to at the time, very annoying), reset my router (new IP address, had to go and change domain name settings), kill the washing machine for a good hour until it had calmed down, and permanently wipe out my XBox 360's graphics and almost kill the sound circuit completely.

Not to mention the lights which flicker all the time, and that it's slowly killing our family PC (time to get an iMac, yipeeee!).

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Our power company has been better recently, but it used to be that any time it rained a wee bit the power would cut for anywhere from seconds to an hour. My freshman year in high school the power went out for 24 hours...twice. We discovered that there were emergency generators powering outlets in the dorm stairwells, so a complex setup of extension cords and power strips provided power to a few key rooms....those with game consoles. :D

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Our power has been out for hours today. Thank god for generators. There was this like tsunami that rolled through my town. I was driving home from a friends, I couldn't see anything I kept having to go around fallen tree limbs.

I am like 2 ft from my house and there is a HUGE partially fallen tree that had ripped down some powerlines. You can't even see the other side of the road the foliage is so big. I called the police, they came, put up road blocks, and went off to report to other fallen tree limbs. They're not sparking, but its been hours and they're not even working on it.

Meanwhile on another road there was a fallen tree, no powerlines, and they have a fricken tree service and police cars and flares.

COMMON! I WANT MY POWER BACK.

Its getting kinda hot, the generator doesn't power the a/c

----
    At my school they always had power dips which would turn on the battery backups and automatically shut down the servers. The guy in charge called the power company called the power company and they denied it and they wouldn't help him out at all.