I hate PayPal!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 08mxkfx, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I've been selling a few of my sisters old dresses on ebay that have the tags on them. They are diane von furstenburg and they average around $300 and up retail. Im getting rid of them quick selling them at $100. I have made over $2000 in a week and i went to go buy a new macbook yesterday with my paypal card and i was declined even though i know i had the moeny in my account. So i log into my PayPal account and get this-
    PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
    Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

# Oct. 19, 2008: Our system found unusual activity associated with your PayPal and eBay accounts that present a potential high risk

So i call up paypal and it takes at least an hour before i finally get to talk to a real person. The lady tells me that since im selling them for too cheap they want to know my suppliers information and all the tracking numbers for my shipments. Keep in mind these were all bought in retail stores over the past 2-3 years so i don't have supplier information. So i give them all the numbers for the packages i have shipped and there are a few that i shipped out of country and USPS doesn't provide oversea tracking numbers. So now i have to wait till at least 3 of the items i shipped are received by the customers so they can call them and verify. A bunch were already delivered but the lady told me that there not the packages their concerned about. So 2 were delivered today that were on their "list" and then another should be shipped tomorrow. I had to make a copy of the receipt for the ones i shipped overseas and send it to them. A little while ago i get this email from them-

Dear ___________ ,

Your account access limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more
    information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal
    process. Please complete the steps below so that we may review your account
    further:

1. The tracking information that you have provided us shows that some
    merchandise is currently in transit. Please feel free to call PayPal
    Customer Service at 1-888-221-1161 once your tracking information confirms
    delivery so we may complete our investigation.

2. PayPal is unable to verify your social security number. This may have
    occurred because your name/address has recently changed or because we have
    a slightly different spelling of your name/address in our database.

Please follow the easy steps below in order for us to complete the
    verification process.

Print this page
    Verify your address: Attach EITHER a current utility bill showing your
    address or a copy of your driver's license. Please ensure that this address
    matches the address on file with your PayPal Account
    Verify your identity: Attach EITHER a copy of your social security card or
    a current pay stub

Fax or mail this page with the attached information to:

PayPal
    Attn: Verification Department
    PO Box 45950
    Omaha, NE 68145-0950
    Fax: 1-402-537-5733

Once we receive this form we will verify your information. You will receive
    an email when this occurs. Please note that this process may take up to a
    week.

Name: _______________________
    Address: _____________________
    Email: ________________________
    Social Security Number: _ _ _ - _ _ - _ _ _ _

I certify under penalty of perjury that the number given is my correct
    social security number (SSN).

Signature (must sign) ________________________________________

More information on how to complete the steps above can be found by logging
    into your PayPal account and clicking on the 'Resolution Center' tab. Then
    click on the 'Resolve' button under the 'Action' column for the step you
    would like to complete.

Sincerely,
    Kim
    PayPal Account Review

Now i dont know about you but im not comfortable faxing a copy of my SS card, copy of my drivers license and all my information. Also i dont pay utilities or have a pay stub since i get paid off the books. So pretty much i cant touch the $2168 dollars that is in my account which means i cant ship anymore of the packages since i only have like $20 that isnt in my paypal and i still need to ship 8 more packages and provide tracking numbers to paypal. I think this is BS that they can hold my money from me. Im ready to call a lawyer if they dont get this resolved in the next couple of days.

Sorry for the long post i just needed to vent.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

www.paypalsucks.com

Paypal sucks they are not regulated and they pretty much can do what ever they want and get away with it. As soon as you sell move the money out of the account to one you control though something regulated like a bank.

Basically paypal just is holding on to your money for easy interest payments that they keep.

4. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Thank you for that link. Someone posted up all of paypal email addresses and im going to write a very nice email and send it to every email address they have.

5. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

Wow i use paypal alot and if they did that to me i'd be pissed. Good Luck getting all of that resolved.

6. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

you should go to the link provided in Rodimus Prime's post. There was a guy that had $8600 held by paypal for over 3 months then he sent an email to every email address they have and without any notice or reason they opened up his account to him so he can get his money.

7. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

oh man, I feel bad for you :( It's like technically you've already lost some money compared to what you could be getting for these, and now Paypal have decided to do a spot of CYA off _your_ back, that's just too much! And you gotta love the touch about them keeping you wait on the phone :rolleyes:

Well, here's to hoping it gets sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's things like this that make me veer away from accepting paypal for anything these days.

9. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Paypal can and will keep your money for as long as they want to. You may unfortunately not even get it back.

They kept nearly £1000 many years ago from me and I never got it back. They are pants.

10. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I sent them a copy of SS Card and Driver License and emailed every email address paypal has. Surprisingly about 15min after send the email i get a phone from paypal. 6 of the items i have sold have been delivered and i was originally told i needed to wait for 3 items to be delivered. Now there feeding me some BS that now i need to wait for 10 items to delivered so now i have to wait till Friday for the other 4 items to be delivered. If they dont have the limitation taken off my account after all 10 are delivered im going to find out where there headquarters is and go burn the place down!!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Back in August, I sold my Black MacBook and my MacBook Pro allong with an 8GB iPhone. I guess because I was selling all three at the same time, they did pretty much the same thing. The funds in my account, almost $3,000 were locked for two weeks. It was finally after shipment on all three could be confirmed and positive feedback was left on the two laptops buy the buyers that I finally was able to use my money.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been burned by Paypal in much the same way. They cost me an auction on Ebay once. They are definitely NOT my favorite people.

13. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

paypal risk limited access restrictions funds

PLEASE - how did you resolve this ? Did paypal released your funds ?
    I've just sold some items on paypal and got the same thing with limited access so i cannot get my money! :confused:

i'm just starting the clarification process, but i would like to know more of what happend to you and if it was resolved.

thanks,
    anyone else has similar problems ?

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know it doesn't help now, but I avoid paypal like the plague. Sure the auctions take longer to process after the fact.. IE cashing checks etc. But that is all I deal with now. I can't tell you how many times I have had to get on the phone with them. No more.

Please keep us posted on the progress of this.

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I don't know anything about the US, but PayPal in Europe meets the financial regulations put in place by the European Central Bank and the laws of Luxembourg.

16. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

SSN paypal

Thanx for reply. i promise to write back when/if i resolve this.
    i just got an email from them asking for SS number as well as what was described above to delivery of the items currently in transit. Same ********.

I'll be back when i've more to share.

17. quotemeas macrumors regular

Devils advocate here...could all these new restrictions be part of how the new Buyer's Protection program works? All members who had money held either earned a large sum of cash quickly or sold high priced items. Since these transactions happen by the thousands each day, PayPal is responsible for buyer's purchases/payments totaling a large portion of any revenue that they make. Sounds to me that these are safe guards built in to limit PayPal's losses due to payouts in the Buyer's Protection program.

I recently sold an iMac for $1800 and had my funds held until the buyer received their item, positive feedback was left on my ebay transaction, or PayPal could determine the item was delivered via the shipment's tracking number.

BTW, what do you do for living since you publicly mentioned you work "off the books."

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I recently sold a camera on Ebay, and Paypal held the funds until the item arrived - almost two weeks from the time I was paid.

To me, that is unacceptable. I have 100% positive feedback, follow all the rules, etc, etc.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble as well.

19. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I ended up getting all money but it took about 2 weeks after all 10 items were delivered. They had to mail a letter to my house to confirm my address and a bunch of other BS. As for my job i work at my friends marina and also do landscaping in the summer and plowing in the winter.