Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Blue Velvet said:
And why was it GONE? Was it because you never actually saved it? Or backed it up?

Too many people don't decide to save any of their work until they're completely finished. Obviously, their work doesn't count, if they don't take a moment away from it so they'll have it later. It's also tough, on those applications that have an auto-save option, to set the option.

I've seen once or twice when the application deleted the file on disk, which was bizarre but that's certainly the exception.

I don't care for the way Windows works, but it's not quite that unstable that you should lose everything you're doing.

EJBasile:

Welcome to the other side.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
I just like to chip-in and let everyone know I just got a G5 iMac (Gift) and I must say there is nothing like it... I had my doubts, but no one makes anything like this stuff... there's no comparison in my mind... I again feel the same way when I first switched! Its great.

I don't hate PC's (Wintel) but I don't appreciate them the same way I do this little G5. Its really a night and day difference.

Just My 2c.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
bousozoku said:
Too many people don't decide to save any of their work until they're completely finished. Obviously, their work doesn't count, if they don't take a moment away from it so they'll have it later. It's also tough, on those applications that have an auto-save option, to set the option.

I've seen once or twice when the application deleted the file on disk, which was bizarre but that's certainly the exception.

I don't care for the way Windows works, but it's not quite that unstable that you should lose everything you're doing.

EJBasile:

Welcome to the other side.

Yeah, I believe since Office XP, that MS Word goes absolutely NUTS creating .baks to make sure you have a backup in case you crash.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Mav451 said:
Yeah, I believe since Office XP, that MS Word goes absolutely NUTS creating .baks to make sure you have a backup in case you crash.

MS Word has had an auto-save option since version 4 or 5 but I think you have to go into Preferences and enable it.

Even AppleWorks has an option but it's strangely set to save when idle, whatever that means.

Fukui:

Congratulations!

Attachments

• SaveWhenIdle.jpg
    SaveWhenIdle.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 44

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
veedubdrew said:
Oh for Chrissakes people, it's a joke. Ellen Feiss. Switch Campaign? C'mon.

-Drew

Who? Oh, wait! As minions, we're supposed to know that name. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
veedubdrew said:
Well, this is macrumors, is it not?

I thought that it was MacRumors, but that's just me. ;)

I never really got much out of the Switch ads but they were different.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
You probably have seen this, it's pretty old but very entertaining. Be sure and use the media player. Fun! I hate windows.
http://void.lbstone.com/EXZHOJLGTO/winrg.swf
Eww, I hate windows. I use a windows 98 machine at work. I have to restart it daily in order to get it to print. It takes like 10 minutes each time. We have a Windows XP machine but, it doesn't have any applications on it. I doubt it ever will. We have a unopened eMac from a contest from about a year ago. I hate my workplace, they are idiots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.