I HATE Perian/QuickTime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rsunusi, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rsunusi macrumors newbie

rsunusi

Perian is pissing me off -just installed it and now Quicktime crashes when opening AVI files -- I use VLC player and it works perfectly, just wanted to test Perian and it failed the test.

How do I remove the Perian component from Quicktime, so hopefully this won't happen and QuickTime is back to normal , where is it located exactly, Library where ?
    :mad:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This playing from memory but doesn't the application have its own uninstaller?

3. rsunusi thread starter macrumors newbie

rsunusi

Nope ,, no uninstaller available, I think I have to manually remove the Perian component which was added to QuickTime, except I don't know where exactly its located .. in Library I can't find QuickTime at all

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

1. Go To: System Preferences>Perian

2. Click the "Remove Perian" button.

3. Click the Show All button.

4. Right click or control click Perian

5. Select "Remove "Perian" Preference Pane."

5. rsunusi thread starter macrumors newbie

rsunusi

Hi,

Thanks for giving a suggestion but ...

There isn't a Perian preference option in System Preferences anywhere, not in Other, or in QuickTime.

I don't know if Perian was installed wrong, I just followed the instructions and dragged the Perian component onto the QuickTime folder and as there is no uninstaller and apparently it is not in my System Preferences, looks like a manual removal is in order.

Do all of you have Perian preference pane in System Preferences and is it just me that doesn't?

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

You probably have an older version. I am running v.1.0. I would install that one, then uninstall as I recommended, that will get all of the components.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which version of Perian are you using? 1.0 tells you to run from the preference pane. I remember 0.5 needed to be dragged into its proper folder.

8. rsunusi thread starter macrumors newbie

rsunusi

ARRRGGGGHHH

It's 0.5, and I downloaded it from Apple's site ,, why is Apple publishing downloads for older versions damn it !

What do I do to remove that component-- can you pinpoint exactly how I can just remove the Perian component painlessly , I'll then get 1.0.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://perian.org/

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

The new one probably upgrades the old one, but if you want to manually trash it, look in the Macintosh HD > Library > QuickTime folder

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

One more thing...

Why didn't you just follow the alias from the 0.5 installer?

12. rsunusi thread starter macrumors newbie

rsunusi

Hi,

Thanks alot --- I installed 1.0 and have the system preferences icon up there, now the AVI files open, but there is no sound -

VLC opens everything really great, I was hoping Perian would offer similar functionality and makes playing AVI and FLBV movies easy but seems there's issues !

Alias ? Sorry I'm not as proficient on Macs, just bought a MBP a few months ago, I think you mean following the path in Finder for Alias -

13. rsunusi thread starter macrumors newbie

rsunusi

With alot of doodling with my AVI and FLV collection, I see MOST files open, but a few do not have sound or don't open, even when VLC can open the same files ,, all in well very good, but what's the difference, looks like VLC can do everything QuickTime can and more .

14. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

EDIT- Oops, I guess Perian 1.0 supports AC3.

In any case, you can open up the file in VLC, and find out the audio codec and post here if you still need help.

The plugin I was thinking about was this one, but again Perian now supports AC3-
    http://www.mactcp.org.nz/quicktime/ (bottom of page)