i hate printers so much i never purchased one!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by animatedude, Dec 9, 2013.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

for the last 13 years i wanted to buy a printer but i never did because every time i go to the market to check out "the latest" models i find out they still look terrible! and they still have DOZENS of models you don't know which one to choose...

do these companies have designers?! i can't ruin my beautiful Apple set up with an ugly HP printer with overpriced ink....

can someone please help me find a printer that actually look good in terms of design, i don't care if it's laser or inkjet i'm just using it for home to print random stuff..

i know Apple made printers in the past but here's hoping Apple make printers again with stylish aluminum design and way way smaller lighter than whatever junk is available in the market right now..

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've never seen anyone worry about how a printer looks. It's a box that squirts out paper. Biggest concern is usually OS compatibility and cost per page.

Get a networked printer, Brother makes some good ones and hid it out of site.

Oh yes, Epson has some very expensive ones that look Mac like.

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'd be lost without a printer. I really don't care about the style so much. What's important to me is reliability, operational cost, and quality of print. That said, I only buy laser printers, networked models.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Well, obviously you don't need a printer. So why worry about it?

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Buy a fountain pen and some Crairefontane paper.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I have been using Epson printers for years. Their photo printing and CD printing are excellent in their inkjet. I have been using the Artisan 800 (it's an all-in-one) for about 5 years now. Not sure if you are looking for a photo printer, I would imagine you don't need it for much since you haven't own one for at least 13 years, but Epson has a decent all-in-one for $80 and it supports AirPrint.

They also have a small all-in-one that's nice (6 ink system for great photo printing) Or this one.

Or if you want wide printing there is this one.

Just my suggestions, I personally love Epson printers.

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium is a pretty sweet printer. Is it aluminum? No. But in person it looks pretty nice. Yes - it has a black plastic body but it is all one color - which is much nicer than some of there other printers out there. Besides - the features alone make it worth it.

And no matter what printer you get - whether inkjet or laser, HP or Epson - all of them have overpriced ink. I'm sure printers are like game consoles - their companies sell them at a price just to break even or maybe even lose some money because they know they will make it up in the end by selling ink cartridges.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If looks are so important to you and you're unable to find one that looks good and also fits your needs/budget just get one and set it up to be networked and stuff it in a corner somewhere.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I understand your issue. I bought a white Cannon Pixmar printer because it complemented the look of my iMac. Great little printer to. I don't do much printing, and I am lucky to be able to print stuff at work. I did use it this weekend though on a difficult photo edit I had been working on.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Photo printers are a waste of time, money and other resources.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Thanks for your opinion :rolleyes:

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

These were pretty good looking. I think they were offered exclusively in Apple Stores.

Attached Files:

13. mpantone macrumors 6502

As blueroom mentioned above, what a printer looks like doesn't really matter.

In most cases, it's probably going to be a squarish/rectangular box that needs to have a 8.5x11" tray of paper somewhere; it's not that printer manufacturers have a wide range of options in industrial design or mucking with form factors.

When I owned a printer, cost per page and reliability were my top concerns, not how purty it looked.

In the old days, printers were loud and you really didn't want them in the same room. Today's laser and inkjet printers are much quieter, but I'm not keen on breathing random particles of printer toner.

14. ChangshaNotes macrumors newbie

Yeah, they are all pretty ugly. I'm not sure why people say it doesn't matter. Computers are boxes that used to be pretty ugly too. It's a piece of machinery that takes up space. It would be nice it were decent looking.

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

16. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Networked printers are the way to go. Both of my printer are hidden in other rooms or the basement. That way I can keep different papers and stock in a cabinet out of the way.

17. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

exactly!

18. takeshi74, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Provide examples of what you think looks good. "Looks good" is a highly subjective matter and you can't just assume that your preferences are universal. Most don't use appearance as a primary deciding factor.

It's really like shopping for anything else. You don't go out and look at every possibility. You consider your needs, wants, budget and other criteria to narrow down the options and select from a limited pool.

However, if they're all ugly and that's the primary concern then there's really nothing for you to bother with. If you've managed to get by for 13 years without one then why do you need one now? You could also consider just printing what you need to Fedex Kinko's or similar.

Put the printer in a closet or cabinet. I don't care about the aesthetics of mine and it lives in a closet.

To varying degrees. Ink is much more so than toner.

Priorities and preferences vary from person to person.

19. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

it's OK, that's your opinion but remember we are discussing this in an Apple-related forum, a company that put aesthetics at the core of everything they do.

I sometimes feel like Apple is the only company in the industry that have designers...just the other day i was taking a look (from far far away i might add lol) @ HP laptops and Printers, my goodness the crap look like the same crap from 1999!

20. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I'm pretty happy with my HP 4100 with jet direct and extra tray. It sits on the other side of the room and using printopia I can print from my phone or iPad if needed.

21. Adonys macrumors regular

or buy a spray paint "aluminum" color and let the fun begin:eek:

22. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you haven't bought a printer in all the years because you don't like "the way they look", then...

... you don't need a printer.

23. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Hate Printers - Designed to suck, always break, ink costs more than the printer. Number 1 complaint from friends? My Printer is not working.

My typical answer? That's what they're designed to do. Not Work! It's working perfectly. Didn't you see the dialog pop up that said "Buy A New Printer"?

Just Kidding

24. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Don't forget the carbon paper for multiple copies