I Hate Sliding to Open...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by hooplehead, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hooplehead macrumors member

Hey, how hard would it be to make an app that disabled the "Slide to Open" screen when you want to use the iTouch after it's in sleep mode? I hate sliding :D

Plus, using the motion thingy, couldn't it be made to "autoslide" open upon picking it up? Can't it sense that it's now "moving" and open without having to tap or slide at all?

And lastly, using the motion-sensor thingy (sorry, forgot the technical name for it), couldn't you also program an app to "Password protect" your Touch not by pressing a code, but just by tilting it or waving it in a certain pattern?

Thanks!

2. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

the purpose of the slide to open is to "lock the keys" so you can't accidentally press keys with it in your pocket.

This is a bit more graceful than other brick handsets where you have to type a pin or a combination of keys to unlock the handset.

I agree, it can be annoying sometimes but its better than accidentally calling people I guess. :p

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

But I would think that if you put it to sleep it should be fine, its just when you wake it would be better if it already was at the "Now Playing" screen rather than having to slide.

THats how I felt, now its pretty much a habit so it doesnt bother me as much, but I think he ma be referring more to something like that.

4. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

I see what you are saying and I forgot this was the iPod touch forum, I was thinking more along the lines of iPhones. Even though iPod touch can have the same problems, its not quite as severe as an iPhone with accidental calls.

But I guess it still serves its purpose. I think there may be more options in the future with the 2.0 firmware update.

5. redhotchilis64 macrumors newbie

You can make a "tap to unlock"

I found some files that I put into my Customize app by SSHing, and it made it so the slider was the same length as the thing that it slides on, giving you the ability to unlock your phone just by tapping the button once. (Sorry if I confused you, it was hard for me to explain).

6. hooplehead thread starter macrumors member

Accelerometer! That's it. Why can't it open upon activation of the accelerometer--say a single twist, which it should be able to detect?

7. RST macrumors member

this may not be true for all, but my ipod often fumbles around in my back pack, car, and it jingles with the change in my pocket- i'm all for an easy solution to unlocking upon wake, but the accelerometer would seem cause more hassle than ease to me. i mean, how many times have you been viewing a website and have it switch into landscape? might be hard.

8. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Why don't you set your iPod touch to never auto-lock?

IMO that's a worse way to implement a screen unlocker. How would it tell the difference between you tripping and falling on your face, and you wanting to unlock the screen? People around you will think you're crazy when you wave your iPod touch around just to unlock your screen. Haha, it'll be more effort as well because you have to move your hold arm instead of just a finger or thumb.

9. br1anc macrumors regular

10. slimjim247 macrumors member

slimjim247

Invisible Slider

I wanted to get a 'tap to unlock' type thing and i remember seeing one in installer the other day but i can't remember what it was called.

Today, however i was looking on ipodtouchfans and found something like that:

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28638

All you have to do is SSH into your customize folder and drop the files in. It creates an invisible bar that you just tap. Then when the unlock screen shows up just tap where the slide to unlock bar would be.

11. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Is it honestly so much of a hassle to slide?

Hell, after you've had the thing for a while you can do it even without looking.

I'm to the point where the act of taking it out of my pocket and unlocking is one smooth motion.