I Hate That I'm a Jailbreaker...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kevintech, May 28, 2015.

1. kevintech, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

kevintech macrumors 6502

I hate being a jailbreaker. I can never get iPhones on launch day, update iOS, use my Apple Warranty for parts replacement, nor can I restore my phone whenever something is wrong. When the next iOS is released, I can't use it until on my phone until a jailbreak is released in December.

I'm constantly tempted to switch over to android for the OS freedom but stick to the jailbroken phone I use. My tweaks have to be just right when I switch phones, and I get sad when a tweak isn't updated anymore (ex: biteSMS).

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Who's with me?

edit: Mods, I meant to post this in the Jailbreak sub-forum....please move if appropriate.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Is there even any point in jailbreaking these days? I haven't done it since like iOS 6.

4. eyoungren, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would have to disagree with some of those points.

We all make choices. I choose to jailbreak, but not having a current jailbreak will NEVER stop me from getting a new device if I want to and I have the capacity to do so.

Being stock and waiting for a jailbreak is annoying sure, but I make that choice.

I chose to take a chance of losing my jailbreak on iOS 7.1 to see if my phone was unlocked. I lost that gamble and have been sitting on iOS 8.1.3 with no jailbreak for the last few months.

Tomorrow or Saturday that may be irrelevant and I pick up my iPhone 6+ and I am hoping it will have iOS 8.1.2 or less. My wife's new iPhone 6 came with 8.1.1 so she gets to jailbreak.

As far as warranty replacement, you do what you have to. I lost my iOS 6 jailbreak because I had to replace my iPhone. Restoring the phone as new before I handed it over wiped out all trace of the JB. Not that the genius cared.

You can always restore from a backup when jailbroken. You just can't restore the device. And this is where being careful with what we install comes in to play.

In the last three years I've lost my JB twice, but both times was because I personally choose to do so (for the reasons I cited above). iCleaner Pro and Mobile Substrate Safe Mode have saved me numerous times.

As far as updates…well I hate iOS 7 and iOS 8 and if there was any way I could get back to iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 I'd take it. So, updates aren't all they are cracked up to be. I did just fine on iOS 6.

----------

Yes.

• Theming: Getting rid of iOS 7/8 PlaySkool/Fisher Price colored unicorn puke.
    • BiteSMS destroys Messages.
    • Mail Enhancer Pro
    • f.lux
    • Eclipse2
    • Anchor or Gridlock
    • Many, many reasons, most of them to make my life easier.

I had over 60+ tweaks installed the last time I was jailbroken. So, yeah, for me, there is a very big reason. Stock sucks.

5. moonman239 macrumors 68000

How easily can you make do without a jailbreak?

After all, with iOS8, we have - among other things:

-Control Center. No jailbreak needed to quickly toggle Wifi, Bluetooth, or Airplane Mode on and off; connect to an AirPlay receiver; use AirDrop; access the camera, flash, etc.

-Notification center widgets for Apple-provided & third-party apps.

-Ability to reply to messages from the Notification Center.

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I find myself less and less JB dependent over the years... but not ready to give it up yet.

for instance, months ago a silly tweak that prevents the phone from 'downgrading' from 4g to 3g saved my hide during a business trip. without the JB i would have been screwed badly.

cheers

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

One word: Activator.

Imagine attaching everything you just said to a physical button or action?

Example: All I ever had to do was a short hold on my power button and I got the flashlight. No turning on the phone, swiping up and pressing the flashlight button.

BiteSMS.

8. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Sure, they can come in handy. But it only takes maybe 2-3 more seconds to turn on the flashlight or respond to SMS.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That right there is what divides us (jailbreakers/non-jailbreakers).

I see it as more convenience and am not content to wait while performing additional actions.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't hate it, embrace it and enjoy the jb freedom and flexibility.
    You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself:D

11. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I'm a jailbraker too... Until something new comes out. I gotta have it immediately if Apple releases a new update or a new phone.

12. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Are these in stock iOS?

Winter board - I like being able to customise my phone the way I want it. Not how Apple tell me it has to be. iOS 7/8 looks like it was drawn by a three year old with crayons.

Folder enhancer. - Can you put folders in folders?

Springtomize - In stock iOS can you hide the dock? Resize icons? Hide icons you'll never use (stocks etc)? Put the date in the status bar next to the time? Remove the pointless dragged out animations? Put the toggles you actually want in control centre and not just the ones Apple says you need. Disable notification centre because I never use it? Remove icon names (I know what it is, I downloaded it, I don't need a name under it telling me what it is and making my home screen look cluttered).

Messages customiser - Can you change the eye wateringly awful illuminous green message bubbles?

App locker - Can you lock apps with a passcode to prevent others accessing them when on your phone?

That's just off the top of my head.

Until all of the above is incorporated into stock iOS then I'll wait for the jailbreak every time before upgrading.

I love iPhones and genuinely think there's no better phone than a jailbroken iPhone. But there's no way I'm paying £540 for a phone I can't so much as put a theme on or customise beyond wallpaper. Or hide apps I'll never use but Apple won't let me uninstall.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I still Jailbreak because...

I can get unlimited skips on iTunes Radio
    I use iBlacklist
    I use TetherMe which allows me to tether until the cows come home
    I block ads in all apps and my browsers
    I use 3G Unrestricter to download any size app over my data connection

Good enough reasons to not give up my JB.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

For hating to be a "jailbreaker" you seem to like to proclaim it!

No desire here, I have no time to tinker with my phone's OS. Got more important things to do!:rolleyes:

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

i had every iPhone generation jailbroken but i lost it earlier this year and i dont even miss it surprisingly.

i still got my iPad jailbroken but tweaks seem to die down?

16. CYKBC macrumors 6502

I find jailbroken phones as appealing as liposuction. Looks diff but not quite right.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Perfect analogy:rolleyes:

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For everyone that is anti jailbreak or apathetic to it because they have no time or don't care…

Just know that if Apple made any of this stuff stock you'd be using it or at the very least know it was an option to use.

There is stuff that is stock on the iPhone now because Apple has the bad habit of co-opting jailbreaks and passing it off as their own idea in iOS.

There never seems to be any objection to jailbreak features when Apple implements it.

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Funny, yet true!

I jailbreak really only to add these tweaks:

-iCleaner Pro. I turn off OTA Updates so my earlier firmware iDevices don't get the constant update badge (and loaded firmware). This tweak also speeds up the iDevice.

-A Tethering tweak.

-DisableCoverFlow

And perhaps a couple of other tweaks to assist in making my iPhone run a bit more smoothly.

Outside of that it is easy to stop with all the theming and other "appearance enhancement" add ons.

20. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I left Android for this reason! Let me explain: I would spend HOURS every day finding some new rom, launcher, addon to flash on my phone that it hurt my relationship/work/etc... And even if I only flashed once or twice a week it would end up being hours to work out all the kinks, bugs, problems.

With a stock iPhone - I can focus on work, my hobbies, my wife, and other things that matter more in life.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think Jailbreaking, rooting, rom'ing - awesome if you have time for it. Back when I was fresh out of college, I had a lot more free time than I do now.

Android is kinda suffering similarities I see here - instead of being a year+ ahead of the average consumer (Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt days) - we're sometimes a year behind (Note 3) because the carriers are locking their bootloaders - takes a $20,000 bounty to crack the latest Samsung phone. I loved my Note 3 but it sucked not being able to get the latest apps because I was on an old Kitkat version.

Like the liposuction comments - A jailbroken phone / android rooted phone - you can never get those "just right" and you spend forever trying. I guess I'm too old for that now. :p

So, an adware infested, 1 year+ old OS Android phone or an iPhone that updates the instant a new iOS is out? Didn't take long for me to make my choice. Loving my iPhone 6+.

21. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

You betcha there is; plenty of reasons. The #1 reason for me is to enable Siri to work on phone tasks which do not require outside data. It's completely absurd, and unacceptable, that Siri cannot perform basic phone tasks when there is no data available. Fail, fail, fail. I can only hope this ridiculous problem is the result of an android patent and not a complete oversight by Apple.

So let's sum it up...I switch from Android to pursue a better experience so I buy a 64Gig iPhone 6+ from an Apple store with Apple Care then buy an Otterbox rugged case and a bunch of apps. $1K later I find the phone is incapable of something as simple and mundane as setting a timer because I ventured half a click from a metro area. Because of that Siri dry heaves because there isn't a data connection. Really? Would laughable if it hadn't cost me a grand to find that out. C'mon, Apple, a basic Boost phone can do better than that and costs a grand less.

I would jail break in a heart beat if I had a little more time to devote to it.

22. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

When I saw the thread title in iPhone forum... I was thinking... great, another justification thread. Like... why I left the 6+ for a 6, why I chose a white iPhone over black, and my recent favorite... why I left UDP for tiered share data plan... LOL. If you are happy with what you have, then that's all that matters. No need to justify... unless you aren't really happy.:p

In other news... if you are a jail breaker, there is fix out for the iOS iMessage bug which is crashing iPhones yesterday. Love how JB devs fix things before Apple. Stay tuned for an official Apple fix... compliments of JB dev Karen... AKA @angelxwind... :)

23. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

At this point i would take Ad block and tether me over multi racial emoticons of 8.1.3

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

They can fix things like that because they don't have to test them on all kinds of different devices under different conditions. They might also fix the specificity affected items but it might not be a more general fundamental fix that is actually necessary that Apple might be working on instead. Basically not an apples to apples comparison (pun intended). That said, it's certainly good that they are doing it and offering that.

As for the thread, yeah, it's seemingly more of a jailbreak justification thread for the most part.