I Hate the Magic Mouse!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chezron, May 8, 2015.

1. chezron macrumors newbie

Please help with suggestions. I have two problems:
    1)I have a magic mouse and it just disconnects for no reason and then I have to turn the computer off and turn it back on to connect it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better mouse? I would prefer one that doesn't need anything plugged into a USB because of problem #2.
    2) I have a limited number of USB ports and cannot use external usb ports for most of my items because they need to be plugged directly into the computer. Is there a way to multiply the number of ports plugged directly into the computer?
    Thank you

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Powered USB Hub will take care of your (lack of ports) problem. Then go buy any two button USB mouse. The items that you say need to be plugged directly into the iMac probably wouldn't get enough power from an unpowered USB Hub. That's why the suggestion for a powered Hub.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I use a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with laptops. Works really well.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

Return it for a new one. Something is wrong with your mouse or your computer bluetooth. I work with several magic mice all day and the only time my starts to disconnect is well after the battery warning pops up in the menu bar. I try to run the batteries as low as I can before replacing. The batteries normally last 3 - 4 months before I start getting the low battery warning. Other than that, none of them have ever disconnected that I can think of.

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

For me it's a love/hate relationship. The ergonomics and swipe actions I love, the squirrly-ness with Google Maps is unbearable. In the end I had to abandon it.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My thought is that something on your desk is blocking the signal, or you might have paired it to another nearby computer and it's alternating between the two. As 960design mentioned, the only time it should disconnect is when the battery is low.

7. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

What items are they, if you don't mind me asking? I am not aware of any such items. (Unless you count perhaps an external SDD raid array or something obscure like that.)

8. idoccurt macrumors regular

9. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

When the mouse disconnects, pick the thing up and shake it. Heck, do that when it's working, just to see if that triggers a disconnect. Play with the power button and learn the LED indicator patterns for when the mouse is searching for your computer (fast flash) or connected (quite a slow flash) - compare these light patterns to whatever the mouse is doing when the problem occurs.

Certain types of AA batteries are shorter than others. I'm not kidding - gather a few different types and brands, lay 'em out side to side, you'll likely spot more than a few mill worth of difference.

The magic mouse's battery terminals aren't much good at maintaining contact with anything but the longer batteries, so if you've got a shorter one a sudden movement is all it takes to turn the mouse off. Beats me if length is tied to type or to brand, but a little bit of balled aluminium foil could work wonders.

10. macthefork macrumors 6502

I've always had good results with the Pluggable brand of powered USB hubs. Any powered hub should work, though.

Here's a 4 port one.

Or a 7 Port one (the one I use)

I gave up on the Magic Mouse years ago when they proved to be very unreliable on numerous Macs I maintain in different locations, and they were always needing batteries. (I used rechargables) It seemed silly to go to all that trouble for a wireless mouse when a wired would do everything needed and didn't require the switching of batteries every three weeks. Most of the users didn't like using them them either.

Only one holdout still uses his, and he learned to change the batteries. Although, he has to reboot often just to get it to work for a while.

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Three weeks seems pretty extreme. I'm using an Apple Magic Trackpad now, and have for the last three or so years; it probably complains about wanting a battery change once every month or two, but then goes on for a few weeks after that before actually dying. Assuming the Magic Mouse is similar, I take it to mean that Apple didn't do a great job of gauging battery capacity remaining in the devices. (I use Sanyo Eneloops as my rechargeable of choice - I guess now that Sanyo was swallowed by Panasonic, they're called Panasonic Eneloops).

Before that, I used a really nice Logitech wireless mouse that required a dongle. That mouse requested battery changes even less frequently, if I remember correctly.

Wireless mice are really nice. When doing graphical work I often felt that even the slight tug of the cord on the mouse was a hindrance. Wireless is so freeing by comparison. A wireless keyboard or wireless trackpad isn't quite as notable, but wireless mice are wonderful. (Granted, if you've tried it and really didn't feel that it made a difference compared to a wired mouse, then the wired mouse is probably the more convenient option.)

12. macthefork macrumors 6502

Everyone has their choices for a mouse. I, too, used the Sanyo Eneloops when The Magic Mice were new. Keep in mind also that these were used for 8 to 10 hours a day, and yes, sometimes some people had a slightly longer usage. Never past a month, though.

I was the one called when they didn't link to bluetooth, or the batteries went dead. So, as I mentioned, I changed them all out except for one where the person liked his, even though it had the same problem keeping connected.

I gave up the one I used pretty quickly and found a Large Trackball Expert mouse more to my liking.

13. shaunp macrumors 65816

I've never got on with the magic mouse, it's far too small for my hands and the gestures just don't seem to work. The magic trackpad on the other hand is fantastic. Personal preference, but I've always found it a joy to use.

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm happy with the magic of the mouse. Powered by three sets of Eneloop I'm very happy with it on my iMac. But have to admit that I'm not often use gestures with it. Just transitional stuff. But like the design and feeling.

15. whitby macrumors newbie

Gave up on the Magic Mouse for two reasons:

1. It is not very ergonomic to use for my hand and requires an unnatural position of the hand for me, so it is very tiring for my hand. This is a classic form over function device, looks good but not good to use for me.

2. it disconnects for no apparent reason and then reconnects a few seconds later. I have 3 Macs I use regularly and all with 3 different mice and all do the same thing, so it is not a specifically faulty mouse, unless all 3 are faulty.

I use a Logitech mouse (Performance Mouse MX, I believe) which is excellent ergonomically for my hand and is wireless with its own USB dongle. But any Mouse generally will work. Just remember to set up the secondary button for the right button in System Preferences.

You can use any decent powered hub (Belkin make good ones) to avoid using the actually ports on the computer, usually, and expand the number of ports available. Generally USB ports for Mice do not need much power and do not mind being on a powered hub (USB is a polled protocol and can give some devices issue, but human interface devices generally do have a problem). The only USB connection that used to need a direct computer port has been the iPhone, but that seems to have improved in the past few years and you can use a hub for the iPhone as well now (at least for the 5/5S and 6).

Hope this helps.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Buy a different mouse.

I'd recommend one of the Logitech "MX" series mice.

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

You spend THAT much time in Google Maps??

18. Lankyman macrumors 68000

MM has always eaten batteries, well known issue plus poor ergonomics.

Try a Logitech Laser wireless. Good ergonomics plus it never ever loses a connection, ever and battery lasts that long you forget it is battery powered.

19. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, several times per week.

20. Chippy99, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Aint that the case :) Makes "rechargeable" rather pointless, doesn't it! BTW, below is not even new batteries!

[​IMG]

21. dyn macrumors 68030

There simply aren't that many Logitech bluetooth mice and the ones that come with bt have the same issue as the Magic Mouse: crappy ergonomics. The other ones use a proprietary wireless protocol and require the use of a Logitech receiver. Now think about that, wireless mice requiring a USB port...might as well get the wired then. Those are a lot cheaper, never lose connection nor run out of battery.

22. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Yep, correct, mine has a tiny dongle that slots into one of the spare USB ports of my USB hub. Completely hidden behind my iMac. It's about thumb nail size and 100% reliable, what's not to like.

Why you would draw a comparison between the freedom this product affords and a wired one escapes me.

23. dyn macrumors 68030

Why would you read posts in a topic, especially the opening post, when you can abuse the freedom of simply posting?

If you had read the topic you'd have seen that using a usb port is a no go because they are all populated. The only option is to go bluetooth because any other requires a usb dongle that you can't use due to not having an available port. So why on earth you'd suggest or compare to anything that has to use a usb port is beyond me. Or in other words: using a wireless mouse from Logitech is about just as useful as using a wired one. That was the point ;)

24. Lankyman macrumors 68000

You obviously can't help some folk. What is wrong with an unpowered USB hub costing just a few pounds like I use.

Anyway you obviously know best

25. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

happens to me too. not the mouse's fault but yose*****'s

no need to reboot, just : disable bluetooth, disable wifi, enable wifi, enable bluetooth... works fine until the next time the macbook sleeps, then it can break again or not.

cheers